You take one image from each pseudo and put BHZ in the essential keyword box. After it goes live in 24 hours, do a search, the members here who know what to do need to tell you what to put in as far as the search term. I don't play the BHZ game, so I've not delved into it. It is a way to see what page that image falls on. Then if there is a re rank, check again to see if you've moved up or down.

I did some simple one-word or in the case of a name like "Home Depot" two words searches of 10-12 of my images yesterday, and I am very pleased to be on page one or two with most of them. I do have a pseudo or two to evaluate, yet.

My word, while I composed this, many people beat me to it.

One important aspect of BHZ is to see how you are doing over time, not just today.

Another is to check if, in case of a re-rank, your pseudo has moved in a normal way: Not a lot of sales? Going down a bit. More sales? Going up a bit. Sometimes there are major disruptions like last April when some people saw their collections tumble while others' leaped. That was because there had been serious changes to the search algorithm. Some of which have now been mitigated. Some saw strange results within some searches, but not with their BHZ ranking. Actually a lot of people have seen that. And like in all experiments no result is also a (valuable) result.

And then from time to time there have been weird glitches that have sent people to the last page of BHZ without any reason. At that point you're very glad you have been using it, so you can investigate and check with MS. In some cases this has led to reinstatement of rank. But in other cases not. Of both varieties we have people here on the forum. Some have reported about it here; some not.

For me the most important is: BHZ also provides a collection where one can experiment without risking views and sales, because only very few clients will ever search for BHZ. So why do we see BHZ in All of Alamy from time to time? No idea, but it does tell us that at least some have the opportunity to cheat with their CTR.

What would you want to know? How wide is the band my pseudo is in? This needs at least 2 images tagged with BHZ, which is why sometimes you'll see more images for one pseudo. Usually it's simple neglect ;-) Or funny keyword copying like the one earlier in this thread. For me in April it was trying to get a grip on the algorithm change. And yes I also do that with various other keywords. Like: Washington White House at Night and Amsterdam Royal Palace if anyone is interested.

What else? Will it be useful to have another pseudo? What do the various keyword fields do? What has changed in case of an algorithm change? Alamy has stated they make small changes very frequently, so it's not just in case of a very obvious one like the big one in April.

wim

( ^..^)ノ

A question - why is the BHZ game limited to selecting one RM image, and not also an RF image?  And what about Stockimo images - do people include one image from Stockimo in BHZ as well (or one RM and one RF), as effectively a different 'pseudo'?  

The reason I ask this is I have been noticing a strong preferencing of both RF mainstream images and Stockimo over traditional RM.  For example, every so often I will do a search on my contributor name in a way which I know will pick up everything (traditional RM and RF - of which I have very few (traditional RF that is) - and Stockimo (RM and RF), and News.  In the past, although Stockimo and RF images generally seem to be ranked above traditional RM on the 'relevance' tab, there has still been a fair smattering of traditional RM.  

Anyway, today, out of curiosity, I did the same exercise.  Now, my Stockimo images dominate the first few pages.  A smattering of 'traditional' RF on the first page, and it is not until the second page (on 120 views) that any of my traditional RM images appear at all now!  This is notwithstanding an upswing in zooms and sales.  (Ironically, I don't know about others, but I seem to be finding it near impossible lately to get anything accepted for the Stockimo collection, notwithstanding having 500+ images and a few sales.)

Anyway, I know this is slightly off topic, other than to ask as a general question as to whether or not my experience seems unusual, or do others find that their 'ranking' appears to be very different between RM, RF and Stockimo?

RE Rank? All I know is that my stats were at an all time high last month, now they are dragging on the floor?  I Don't really understand this at all. One month I seem to be top of the pops, then I am off the bottom of the chart. Why does it reset to zero each month? Why does  your previous performance not count towards you present performance?

From disgruntled of Lewisham!

RE Rank? All I know is that my stats were at an all time high last month, now they are dragging on the floor?  I Don't really understand this at all. One month I seem to be top of the pops, then I am off the bottom of the chart. Why does it reset to zero each month? Why does  your previous performance not count towards you present performance?

What stats?

What stats?

The only thing that resets to zero each month is your CTR for that month and sales for that month. Of course they would reset, but don't mean anything for your overall CTR rate. 

Jill

Ditto - had a record breaking BME last month, this month only 2 sales so far.

In other news, i haven't moved on BHZ, still near the top of page 3.

John.

I have never made it to page 1.  My largest pseudo seem to get images licensed to text books only in one quarter of the year and my rank bounces between page 6 to 24 and back again to 6 because of the sales pattern.

My first attempt at this has put me on page ten. Quite happy with that. My main source of income from my material has been by direct submissions to the aviation press. A few years ago I decided to add my images to Alamy as an additional chance for them to earn me some extra pennies after the 'newsiness' had gone out of them, before more recently attempting to build up my portfolio with additional subjects. Without having that 'base' of stock type images my history is very peaky, with irregular largish sales (cover of a Japanese tourist brochure, for example) with long fallow periods. It'll be interesting to see how my rating goes over time.

I dropped out of the BHZ game some while back (Feb 2014).  For 2 years, my BHZ image was consistently around page 17 - bizarrely jumping to page 8, just before I stopped playing.

With few sales to follow up on this year (I mean poor), I decided to revisit for a play.

I now have two psuedos: my main one sits around the middle of page 7 (with around 800 more images using BHZ, compared with the last time I did this).  My 'trash' psuedo sits on page 20.

Relative to each other then, they are in the correct position, but I find it difficult to correlate success here with anything that BHZ can tell me.  Page 17 was serving me well, page 7 ain't doing me any favours.

Archived