There is hope for those who hate keywording (almost everyone)

I thought this article was interesting.  I think if software could describe an image it wouldn't be too far of a step to have it create a list of keywords.  I am thinking a program that would automatically create a description and keywords in all the proper fields with a count of the number of people in the image which could be checked for accuracy/edited after the fact before having images go live.  It sounds like it may be just a few years away and would be a time saver and help eliminate some of the tediousness  of manually entering that information.  http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-new-software-can-describe-photos-with-almost-human-accuracy/

At first I thought this post was an early, or late, April fool. I'm with you on this one John. Having looked at keywording programs and seeing all the inappropriate keywords thrown up by them, which then takes more time deleting same. No thanks.

Ed I like washing the dishes by hand too. ^_^

Allan

I don't really hate keywording, especially if I'm learning something new, but I do hate myself for procrastinating, which I'm very good at.

As a semi-Luddite, I still think that the best keywords are the ones we dream up ourselves. However, I'll try to keep an open mind on the subject.

I quite enjoy the research involved, so easy using the Internet.  Wish the Alamy software was a bit more user friendly, but we've already had that discussion!

Needs to be tackled in the right frame of mind, and thinking that this is something that needs to be disposed of quickly is not the way forward.

A bit of a chore, but the problem will be when and if I  ever overcome my current time of troubles and instead of a steady drip-drip-drip have about 750 to do all at once.

At the moment I can't even face the processing, let alone the keywording.

Feel your pain Mark, am currently working through a stack of images from a trip abroad. Trying to do a batch each evening. Must be difficult to find motivation if locked out of the system.

My most hated thing.  Love the photography, like the developing, too much time taken in key wording. It's not so much hating the process of doing it but hating the time it takes. A huge bite altogether out of presenting an image.

Betty

Automatic descriptor software would be almost useless for Alamy images which thrive on specifics of location and precise object detail. I suspect when we have artificial intelligence software which can describe a photo to that level of detail it will probably also be capable of taking a better photograph than we can; at which point we can all crawl off to a corner and vegetate.

OT, Betty, love the very new avatar.

Thanks, Mark. I shot that yesterday holding my Nikon and pointing it at myself in a mirror.  Where there's a will....

edited to add.  I posted a couple this past week taken with the RX100 in front of my face but the wide angle distorted my features, elongated my face and were horrible.  The mirror was the best option, giving me some distance.

Thanks, Mark. I shot that yesterday holding my Nikon and pointing it at myself in a mirror.  Where there's a will....

So did you remember to flip the image left to right or is it a mirror image of you? When I see a real image of myself it always looks wrong. I prefer my mirror image  :(

So did you remember to flip the image left to right or is it a mirror image of you? When I see a real image of myself it always looks wrong. I prefer my mirror image  :(

Lol, no flip. I guess because it looked exactly like what I saw.

If I hated key-wording I'd be doing something else . . . like working in AI and making exaggerated claims about how software was on the verger of being as intelligent as humans.

dd

John Mitchell: "I don't really hate keywording, especially if I'm learning something new, but I do hate myself for procrastinating, which I'm very good at."

​I hate procrastination which is why I always put it off as long as possible. 

Keywording is probably the most important aspect of stock photography: like a second 'aperture' through which customers can view your pix. Get it right and your pictures are in the shop window; get it wrong and they're in the cupboard under the stairs.

John Mitchell: "I don't really hate keywording, especially if I'm learning something new, but I do hate myself for procrastinating, which I'm very good at."

​I hate procrastination which is why I always put it off as long as possible. 

:D

Keywording is probably the most important aspect of stock photography: like a second 'aperture' through which customers can view your pix. Get it right and your pictures are in the shop window; get it wrong and they're in the cupboard under the stairs.

+1

Kumar

Not a good thing for photographers if Google is able to use automatic keywording software to make the billions of photographs on Google more easy for copyright thieves to locate and then steal.

I see keywording as part of the photographic process. It helps me think about my images, so I love keywording.

One of the searches yesterday was for "Lincoln Cathedral (pt)"  - I've got several on the system, yet only one was returned in the search, so I looked into what I'd typed - seems that in the essential keywords I'd not put Lincoln, as I thought it would be picked up by location - goes to show, no matter what you could get a machine to do for you the blindingly obvious matters.

Martin

www.windmillskies.com

Archived