Just passed 1000 Alamy sales - where are you?

In seven years I have supposedly 1103 sales - but if you eliminate the refunds it's a mere 1065. Out of interest, I have broken down the figures for average price per image sale per year:

07: $82

08: $100

09: $57

10: $111

11: $48

12: $34

13: $35

14: $45

These figures are skewed somewhat by joining the Novel Use and them stopping it two years ago when it wasn't paying. I also stopped distributor sales two years ago when Alamy cut the take from 40% to 30%. The figures for 2010 are also skewed by my one big advertising sale, netting $11,167. It was of passengers on a London bus, which goes to show you can never predict what will sell.

I know my reaction is little late.... But mate... 11k net ??? One photo? Whats the secret... Lets marry and tell me everything.

Yeah.. every time I go on a bus from now on, I think I'm going to be taking my camera with me!  :)

In seven years I have supposedly 1103 sales - but if you eliminate the refunds it's a mere 1065. Out of interest, I have broken down the figures for average price per image sale per year:

07: $82

08: $100

09: $57

10: $111

11: $48

12: $34

13: $35

14: $45

These figures are skewed somewhat by joining the Novel Use and them stopping it two years ago when it wasn't paying. I also stopped distributor sales two years ago when Alamy cut the take from 40% to 30%. The figures for 2010 are also skewed by my one big advertising sale, netting $11,167. It was of passengers on a London bus, which goes to show you can never predict what will sell.

I know my reaction is little late.... But mate... 11k net ??? One photo? Whats the secret... Lets marry and tell me everything.

Yeah.. every time I go on a bus from now on, I think I'm going to be taking my camera with me!  :)

Since the 11k net sale was for advertising, don't forget to obtain a release from each bus passenger  ;)

Fascinating to read through this old thread and then see more recent responses.  When it was started on 24 September 2014 I'd just had my fourth reported sale after starting with Alamy 8 months previously.  I'm now up to 101 with the collection numbers and sales increasing steadily.  A long way to go before I hit 1000 - but the examples above definitely show it's possible, even with relatively small image numbers.  Thanks to all the forum members that have freely disclosed their figures.

Congratulations. I am at zero, like never sold anything here. Twelve years. I am not sure if I've got that much to live, but if I do, what will hagve happened to the stock industry by then?

What's with the red arrows?

I told someone who was bemoaning about failing a QC,  Basically, I was nasty  :o  in my personal version of trying to be helpful

That was me.

Did you get over failing QC?  :)  :wub:

Sorry if I offended you! 

Well done David!

For me:

Almost 3 years now in Alamy

499 images

7 sales. (Found another 2 images used on a website, sales yet to show up in my dashboard.)

Clearly I have a long way to go

40 in 8 years from currently about 1000 images.

Not really into it, uploading only now and then some images, nothing specially sellable. Congrats to all those wo sold a lot more.

Sobering numbers, though.

Why are we doing it? It takes a lot of time and dedication and for most of us it's probably only pocket money, the whole stuff doesn't really make sense (it probably does for Alamy).

40 in 8 years from currently about 1000 images.

Not really into it, uploading only now and then some images, nothing specially sellable. Congrats to all those wo sold a lot more.

Sobering numbers, though.

Why are we doing it? It takes a lot of time and dedication and for most of us it's probably only pocket money, the whole stuff doesn't really make sense (it probably does for Alamy).

I see my Alamy payouts as just another income stream to add to the others. Some months are little more than pocket money, while others are quite decent. Have to admit, though, that a certain capacity for masochism (strong Anglo-Saxon trait) is required these days.

Archived