Just passed 1000 Alamy sales - where are you?

Well, it's taken me 12 years, but yesterday we clicked past the 1000 mark in total sales (now standing at 1002). Currently seeing most licences at a respectable not trivial rate (no more $9 etc) and also some worthwhile 'repeats' even though the original licences seemed to be for ever without restrictions!

David

Well done that man!

I've just gone past 200 sales (206) although 59 of those have been this year. It's taken me 7 years to get that far! Small beer compared to some, but it isn't my main job.

John.

At first I read 1000 Alamy images, not sales... I thought big deal, many of us have more than 1k files here... I must be sleeping.

Wow, 1k sales! Good work man! Now I know where my clients went ;)

Congrats and keep it going :)

I guess my 4 so far in my first year means I sure have a long way to go. Great going David. 

I wish I could make this my one and only career, but reality bites. Maybe in 5 or 6 years I can devote time to it. Gee, Alamy will have about 150 million pics by then.  :o

Jill

David, I thought your figures might be even better than that. I seem to have slightly edged past at 1066 (where have I seen that number before?) Joined in June 2005 and had a really good three or four years, but things have slowed of late. This year's running total is 74  so 100 may be hard to make for the year. To-day's modest upload should take my portfolio to precisely 5,000. But I had better get a wriggle on if I want to keep up with Alamy's total offering.

This isn't a race, but I will gladly stand you a pint or ten; say, first to 1500? watch this space

regards

Robert

Congratulations David!

I must say, I was a bit surprised that the number was not higher, looking through your collection of high quality, tightly edited images!

I have only managed 127 sales in 8 years with a much smaller collection of not so tightly edited images.

PS. Well done to Wim, also!

Congrats, David. I've had 524 sales in just under seven years of uploading. Sounds like I'm not doing too badly, all things considered. Thanks, Alamy.

P.S. I'd suggest that we chip in and buy David a present, but what the heck do you get for the photographer who has bought, tested, and then sold just about everything? B)

John Mitchel:

P.S. I'd suggest that we chip in and buy David a present, but what the heck do you get for the photographer who has bought, tested, and then sold just about everything?  B)

Money! and a thank you for helping so many with his advice on this forum.

Paul.

John Mitchel:

P.S. I'd suggest that we chip in and buy David a present, but what the heck do you get for the photographer who has bought, tested, and then sold just about everything?  B)

Money! and a thank you for helping so many with his advice on this forum.

Paul.

Money? What's that?

But I do agree that he deserves to get paid.

Robert - and everyone really - I know why I don't have higher sales and it's very easy - I spend 6 days a week indoors behind a desk and maybe get out to take pictures for two hours or so every week at the most, and even then usually just in passing. Perhaps one semi-photographic trip out every month and maybe two or three specific photo ventures - like actually visiting a spot I want to photograph - each year. All the rest is four to five weeks of travel, and it can take me six months before I finally process and keyword each trip because magazine deadlines occupy me full time, and involve plenty of processing other people's images, and it gets very tiring. I have an entire 84-page annual to edit next week when I'm away in Gran Canaria, and over half the images will need to have their (stoopid...) matte border surroundings cropped off because I will not reproduce these. Some four to five hundred images to check in detail, trim, and not one of them mine...

This is my work and I make money from it so I should not complain, but for stock, the effect is to greatly reduce the range of places and subjects I cover. I have never even visited most places in Scotland in 26 years living here - never climbed a single mountain, never walked a coast path, never visited many towns or cities. Last week I had to spend 48 hours in Cologne so once again, as every two years, I get a dozen pictures of the same place. The key to really good sales is never visit the same place twice, take as many subjects as you can,

Unless of course you live in Aberystwyth :-) in which case you can sit it out and let the world come to you...

As a reader of your magazines and someone who looks forward to the advice you give out freely on this forum I'd like to say a big thank you for all your hard work! And may the sales keep coming in for you (and me ;)).

You really should get out and about in Scotland though - the mountains and coasts are magnificent and well worth effort :D

Carole

. Last week I had to spend 48 hours in Cologne so once again, as every two years, I get a dozen pictures of the same place.

We actually enjoyed it this time, but then we didn't have to go to photokina.

True though, not many new pix, except maybe the Samsung tricycle or the old Ford Taunus in the Zeughaus museum.

David I'm sorry if I appeared to be taking a cheap shot, and I'm not trying to belittle reaching 1000 sales for you or anyone else. You have four times as many shots as my portfolio and by no means a bunch of second rate hopefuls.  It's the "can't figure it out" aspect that makes me uncomfortable a little. I used to trade on the idea of being a photographer who knew how things worked and what to produce, either as a commissioned photographer or a supplier of stock. I don't like the impersonal "just keep on keeping on" way of doing things

And YES, I do appreciate your generous technical input to this forum. It was largely your comments which helped me to select the Pentax K-5 when I packed away my Canon F-1s and Pentax 67 and bite the digital bullet. I did hold out too long perhaps! I'm tempted to upgrade to the K-3 but haven't had a chance to give one a road test.

regards

Robert

Archived