If you were to go back in time ?

Bryan

If time travel were possible and you could go back in time, what would you photograph? 

I guess I would want to avoid war zones, or lawless times, and the plague wouldn't be a good thing, so being selective would be necessary.

In my case, as an ex steam train buff, I would head for Shap or Beattock on the west coast mainline in the late 1950s, and capture the trains battling the gradients. It would also be good to capture ships being launched on my local rivers, the Wear and Tyne, at around the same time.

• Thanks 2

Being from Versailles, I would hang around the castle and its park photographing le Roi Soleil and his entourage, the decorum, the parties, the Grandes Eaux display, l'Orangerie, people boating on the Grand Canal, the costumes and horse carriages. 

I think I would go back to the early years of the 19th century, a time of enormous social change (with endless photographic opportunities but no photography :( ), when my ancestors were stinking rich (none of it came to me; I was descended from the one who went bankrupt - twice, and whose son was set to inherit a large Buckinghamshire estate from his grandfather but gave it up for the woman he loved).

Alan

Edited by Inchiquin

Me? I'm from the past. But to go back further with my little Sony, I'd like to snap the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag tribe sharing the first Thanksgiving in Plymouth in 1621.

"Pass the stuffing, Massasoit."

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

At some point in June, the Sorbonne riots stopped. ??? I had gone back home to Rome for my wife's birthday. Those Paris riots police were a scary bunch. 

I like to think of Gen as a girl playing on that giant lawn in Versailles. 🙂

• Love 1

Philippines 2000.

Having had both cameras fail in the Trobriand islands I bought a new 35mm Nikon camera at a photographic shop in Manila.

Then I spent a few weeks taking pics around the country assuming that being a brand new camera it would work, didn't think of getting some prints done just to check. 

I remember scrambling up steep slopes to get better shots etc etc

Wrong assumption. Nikon offered a couple of rolls of film as compensation. 

If that means going back in time and bringing back what you photographed to present day, imagine what would happen if it was Jerusalem at the time of Christ with images of what did or did not happen (depending on your beliefs) I have no axe to grind either way. The vested interests would say it's all been photoshopped and is a con, the historians would say now what do we do.

A

• Love 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

If that means going back in time and bringing back what you photographed to present day, imagine what would happen if it was Jerusalem at the time of Christ with images of what did or did not happen (depending on your beliefs) I have no axe to grind either way. The vested interests would say it's all been photoshopped and is a con, the historians would say now what do we do.

A

colour or black and white? 

Tracing family history I have a distant relative who died in Africa circa 1875. (G,G,Grandfather) He was a master mariner. I'd go back in the Tardis to photograph him and his ship and find out how he met his demise, which currently I know not. I'd like to photograph the Clyde shipyards while I'm at it, such a big part of ship building history of that era.

Deep time, the era of the great cave paintings.   Most of human existence has been thousands of years of living in small groups and making art and music (bone flute dating from the Paleolithic) and jewelry made of mammoth ivory (heaps of finished beads found in France). 

45 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

A

Colour preferably with a video to run alongside. 

Being an incurable romantic, I would like to go back to July 24, 1911 to be with Hiram Bingham when he first glimpsed the ruins of Machu Picchu. Hopefully I would have remembered to pack a couple of spare camera batteries. 🤠

“Few romances can ever surpass that of the granite citadel on top of the beetling precipices of Machu Picchu, the crown of Inca Land.”
-HB
  • Like 1