Selling for pennies

15 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

This argument that ( to paraphrase) ' we have to do it because everybody else does it' makes no sense to me. I would have thought that Alamy needs to be offering clients something that nobody else is offering. Alamy advertises itself as offering unique content  - when in fact only 7% of its images are exclusive. Why not build on that USP and make it more of a reality? EDIT 7% is getting towards 20 million unique exclusive images just for starters.

Alamy does have a bunch of experienced, loyal contributors to start building that offering around - even if in the immediate term it is not regarded, by Alamy, as having commercial value.

Build and nuture that uniqueness (also strictly protect against any cheaters) and then charge appropriate fees. Make it something of a privilege to be accepted as an Alamy exclusive contributor --- and, who knows, attach a few perks to balance the responsibilities and commitment?

7% may be something of an underestimate too. Most of my images are exclusive to Alamy but I haven't marked them as such after last year's shenanigans. I suspect I am not alone and may even not be in the minority.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Russell Watkins said:

7% may be something of an underestimate too. Most of my images are exclusive to Alamy but I haven't marked them as such after last year's shenanigans. I suspect I am not alone and may even not be in the minority.

Good point. 

• Thanks 2

Trouble is it is not the Alamy we used to know when it was a small fry in a large pond. Also there are new heads at the top table now with what appears to be different ideas and agenda.

Allan

8 hours ago, Russell Watkins said:

Also, I for one wouldn't want to go through another "exclusivity" fiasco only to have the rug pulled out from under my feet. I waited over six months in some cases for images to be removed from other agencies' websites so that I could make them exclusive here. Once was enough for me.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Taina said:

THIS.

The Chinese distributor in question is clearly a very low priced microstock distributor and Alamy should stop working with them.

As simple as that. 

I agree. However, it doesn't sound like Alamy wants to cut ties with this distributor for whatever reason. Another possible solution to the "selling for pennies" problem might be to allow us to specify that we don't want our images sent to microstock distributors. A simple checkbox in AIM might do the trick. 

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, geogphotos said:

This argument that ( to paraphrase) ' we have to do it because everybody else does it' makes no sense to me. I would have thought that Alamy needs to be offering clients something that nobody else is offering. Alamy advertises itself as offering unique content  - when in fact only 7% of its images are exclusive. Why not build on that USP and make it more of a reality? EDIT 7% is getting towards 20 million unique exclusive images just for starters.

Alamy does have a bunch of experienced, loyal contributors to start building that offering around - even if in the immediate term it is not regarded, by Alamy, as having commercial value.

Build and nurture that uniqueness (also strictly protect against any cheaters) and then charge appropriate fees. Make it something of a privilege to be accepted as a recognised Alamy exclusive contributor --- and, who knows, attach a few perks to balance the responsibilities and commitment?

+1  Excellent post

Trouble with these low fees is that it's a vicious circle. Do Alamy really expect contributors to spend lots of time shooting the best imagery, checking for 1 pixel defects, and researching keywords etc., when the return on a sale is a few pence?

Mark

• Love 1
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Don't start with the same content as everyone else.

Q) So, Alamy what policies do you have to ensure a constant supply of unique, exclusive content from your contributors? I'm thinking about the sort of material that  not everyone else has.

A) Well, we did cut their commission, and then we sell their images for a few cents a time because that's what other agencies do. True, their income drops,  many then go off and try other agencies but even so we feel sure that they will always want to send us their best exclusive work. Does that answer your question?

Q) You don't seem to be actually offering them much, how do you keep them contributing unique content?

A)  We always have lots of exciting new initiatives to promise. Not long ago we changed the font that we use on our website and made everything green, we did a sort of re-branding exercise to announce how we have unique content that nobody else has.

Q) And if they are still unsure?

A) We keep assuring them that exciting times are ahead and that we have great plans for growth. It seems to work.

We also are pleased to have used the increased commission to introduced a more dedicated infringement team which may have increased the perceived contractual risk for exclusive material, and for which we have been pleased to not share any results after one year, nor confirm that it goes beyond charging normal licencing fees.

• Like 5

On 17/01/2022 at 05:21, Russell Watkins said:

i am also curious what proportion of licences (dollar weighted) came out of the 7%.  The non exclusive would include many repeats of Public Domain images from "hoover contributors", and plenty of the non editorial typical background MS images which may or may not be a major seller in Alamy's market place- we do see frequently MS experts reporting low sales on here.   

On 15/01/2022 at 09:26, geogphotos said:

Hi All,

It's a tough, competitive market but we have some ambitious and exciting plans which we hope you can all be part of with us.

...............and our plans for growth are very promising - I hope those who are dissuaded from contributing as a result may reconsider and continue to work with us as we grow.

James, It would be really nice to know what these exciting plans might be and how they would encourage us contributors to continue to support Alamy? I've been with you for 18 years and all I've seen is the royalty split for contributors erode and now sales for pennies are the norm.

Please give us some encouragement to continue to supply you rather than pushing us to supply multiple agencies or work with agencies offering better terms and higher fees.

• Love 2
  • Like 7

Also, what is the push to lower Live News fees? The micros don't sell live news, and indeed two of the main three don't allow any Celeb/politician/sports photos, even as editorial stock, and I'm not sure about the other one.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, wilkopix said:

James, It would be really nice to know what these exciting plans might be and how they would encourage us contributors to continue to support Alamy? I've been with you for 18 years and all I've seen is the royalty split for contributors erode and now sales for pennies are the norm.

Please give us some encouragement to continue to supply you rather than pushing us to supply multiple agencies or work with agencies offering better terms and higher fees.

one thing James has highlighted is the average licence for all of Alamy of $30.  A great exciting information to assist contributors make decision, would be more drilled down data.  For example what is the average licence for Distributors per market.  If anything showing which one are the hard dragging the average down would help Alamy's result which seems focused on Average Licences, since I would gladly remove my images for sales in the sluggish markets.  

• Like 1

When images are licensed for peanuts it’s no longer viable even posting into the months images sold thread. 2 sales at $0.95 each gross is a joke. 

I shot an event on Saturday in London, but my main reason was to chat to a few non Alamy  photographers I know on how their business is doing.

• Love 2
  • Like 5

When the recent Storm Barra was due to hit the Irish coast I got to location really early to get live news shots as it arrived. From that shoot I got 7 images used fairly quickly. Licence fee's were 0.58, 0.58, 0.63, 0.58, 0.58, 0.66, 0.66. Which never mind my time, it would not even cover the fuel to get there and back. Live news for me now is a very hard look at effort  v possible reward before the car gets started.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

When images are licensed for peanuts it’s no longer viable even posting into the months images sold thread. 2 sales at $0.95 each gross is a joke. 

I shot an event on Saturday in London, but my main reason was to chat to a few non Alamy  photographers I know on how their business is doing.

41 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

When the recent Storm Barra was due to hit the Irish coast I got to location really early to get live news shots as it arrived. From that shoot I got 7 images used fairly quickly. Licence fee's were 0.58, 0.58, 0.63, 0.58, 0.58, 0.66, 0.66. Which never mind my time, it would not even cover the fuel to get there and back. Live news for me now is a very hard look at effort  v possible reward before the car gets started.

I had absolutely no idea that live news images would sell for such a low fee, indeed I thought it would be quite the opposite !   The two sales I had today were the lowest $ I've had.  However, the Macmillan image was taken on a paid shoot and the Covid image was taken as I happened to be there so I guess it didn't cost me anything although I know that's not the point, time and effort is still taken in uploading and keywording.  

Carol

Alamy Live News Sales Team to National Newspaper news desk " We have real time images coming in of a national news event how much will you pay for them"  " Nothing but to keep the books straight we will pay 10 cent each."  "Fantastic offer we will send them right over".  🙄  

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

Just sold my first 17 cent image....

Steve, I thought $1.67, was low, then $0.95, but $0.17 is the lowest. A few low licenses thrown in with high value isn't ideal, but may end up being acceptable. My worry, and others who haven't had really low sales yet should also worry, is that as more ridiculous sales are being reported, so how long will it be before most, if not all licenses go for silly prices. Do Alamy only want to make bulk sales from the bigger agencies with no concern re the smaller contributors? Something is really wrong and illogical.

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 1
  • Like 4

Most of what sells, according to All of Alamy, are photos of famous people in politics, entertainment, or sports, especially if they just died.  The other categories that sell (but not as much) are concept shots (smiling pre-teens, handsome adolescent male, adolescent girl, Christmas dinners, etc.) with model releases.

The tourism shots put us in competition with a huge number of other photographers who have similar photographs.

7 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Most of what sells, according to All of Alamy, are photos of famous people in politics, entertainment, or sports, especially if they just died.  The other categories that sell (but not as much) are concept shots (smiling pre-teens, handsome adolescent male, adolescent girl, Christmas dinners, etc.) with model releases.

The tourism shots put us in competition with a huge number of other photographers who have similar photographs.

Keep in mind AoA only tracks are portion of Alamy sales that they can attribute to a keyword search. I sell almost exclusively travel imagery and have found AoA has tracked many of my sales

Just now, SamanthaO said:

Keep in mind AoA only tracks are portion of Alamy sales that they can attribute to a keyword search. I sell almost exclusively travel imagery and have found AoA has tracked many of my sales

TYPO above - AoA has not tracked my sales