Selling for pennies

Another month of ludicrous low sales prices. It is not worth putting any more effort into Alamy. When are the owners going to see that giving peoples images away for virtually nothing is not sustainable. This also applies to Getty and Shutterstock. When they allow photographers to set minimum prices  the business may start acting responsibly. It no good saying that is all the clients will pay, you the agencies have offered these silly prices.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Travelshots said:

Another month of ludicrous low sales prices. It is not worth putting any more effort into Alamy. When are the owners going to see that giving peoples images away for virtually nothing is not sustainable. This also applies to Getty and Shutterstock. When they allow photographers to set minimum prices  the business may start acting responsibly. It no good saying that is all the clients will pay, you the agencies have offered these silly prices.

So far this month all I’ve had is silly priced sales. Although I decided to give Alamy a year I may cut it short. Since the new contract every upload has not been exclusive. Once I’m back home I start marking the rest of my images non exclusive before I investigate a new home. The next step will be deleting images so I can upload as exclusive elsewhere, plus I am already holding back more unique images. Contributors can’t carry on like this.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, sb photos said:

Once I’m back home I start marking the rest of my images non exclusive before I investigate a new home.

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Why make the effort?

Presumably to allow Alamy images to be offered elsewhere as well, whilst still complying with the terms of Alamy's contributor contract... Or is that not worth the effort either?

I'm likely to be marking all mine non-exclusive pretty soon too, so that I don't to have to keep track of which images are being sold elsewhere.

Mark

• Like 4

So do all these low prices (sub 3 USD) have anything in common? Are they distribution related or is there another commonality?

I, personally, have not had any of significance since I left distribution, I have had a few below 10$ but majority are higher. 

But for me I needed an average of 30 (income to me not gross) to consider it worth my time though, so I am pulling out of stock everywhere. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Panthera tigris said:

So do all these low prices (sub 3 USD) have anything in common? Are they distribution related or is there another commonality?

I, personally, have not had any of significance since I left distribution, I have had a few below 10$ but majority are higher. 

But for me I needed an average of 30 (income to me not gross) to consider it worth my time though, so I am pulling out of stock everywhere. 

None of my eleven small or tiny sales this month so far have been distributor sales.

My highest sale of the eleven was a PU netting me $5.16.

Still, you could keep the files you already have online as, they won't cost you any more ... unless of course the cost in working out e.g. tax liability isn't worth it.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

My single solitary sale this month was  - Presentation or newsletters,

Use in a presentation/talk (eg,Powerpoint and Keynote) or in an editorial newsletter.
Start: 07 January 2022
Duration: In perpetuity

For the grand total of $10.86 and $4.34 to me.

I got put on the naughty seat last year by Alamy, so best not to express here what I think of a sale in perpetuity for that amount.

• Like 3

Had a just a few $1 licences this month, normally the same Covid image, one of which appears on a Dorset web page though taken in Watford, the other also a UK site, none to China.....However also had a couple of "normal" mid $$ licences to boost things a little...

Carol

On 29/01/2022 at 20:45, M.Chapman said:

Presumably to allow Alamy images to be offered elsewhere as well, whilst still complying with the terms of Alamy's contributor contract... Or is that not worth the effort either?

I'm likely to be marking all mine non-exclusive pretty soon too, so that I don't to have to keep track of which images are being sold elsewhere.

Mark

Well since Alamy is non-exclusive, what else is required to comply with the contract?

Edited by spacecadet

3 hours ago, Celluloid Hero said:

I got put on the naughty seat last year by Alamy, so best not to express here what I think of a sale in perpetuity for that amount.

or it being a full resolution image. and

which of course can be refunded (which happened to me recently - 2 different images of a a TV celeb - whats the odds they were used somewhere?)

Deeply frustrating times.

• Like 2