Selling for pennies

It's now 4th November 2021 since I've managed a gross sale of $20 and September 1st 2021 since I've had one of $50. It's become a welcome distraction if I see one for over $10 bucks these days. Mostly they're all single figure $ which doesn't make the effort worthwhile. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Most of what sells, according to All of Alamy, are photos of famous people in politics, entertainment, or sports, especially if they just died.  The other categories that sell (but not as much) are concept shots (smiling pre-teens, handsome adolescent male, adolescent girl, Christmas dinners, etc.) with model releases.

The tourism shots put us in competition with a huge number of other photographers who have similar photographs.

I don't know any politicians or famous people, am not a sports fan, and have no staged shots of perfect looking people doing trendy things, and I continue to do surprisingly OK (touch wood). Alamy is a big tent, although it has gotten very crowded and sprung a number of serious leaks in recent years.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I don't know any politicians or famous people, am not a sports fan, and have no staged shots of perfect looking people doing trendy things, and I continue to do surprisingly OK (touch wood). Alamy is a big tent, although it has gotten very crowded and sprung a number of serious leaks in recent years.

My plants and fish seem to do better than anything touristy.   I even licensed a cat photo from my first portfolio.   My knee is making it difficult to get up the iron stairs to the room over my kitchen, so my helper is going to bring some things downstairs so I can do tabletops without having to have a spotter make sure I don't fall going up and down.   He thinks the glass topped table fits in with the sala furniture better than the bigger white plastic table.   I'm going to redo the book covers as sets with writer appropriate props. 

Carefully curated collections do seem to do well.  A number of y'all have been professional photographers for a while.  Stock isn't your only trade.

Edit:  looked at your portfolio just now.   I don't remember so many historical images in the past.

Edited by Rebecca Ore
mo-info

5 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

My plants and fish seem to do better than anything touristy.   I even licensed a cat photo from my first portfolio.   My knee is making it difficult to get up the iron stairs to the room over my kitchen, so my helper is going to bring some things downstairs so I can do tabletops without having to have a spotter make sure I don't fall going up and down.   He thinks the glass topped table fits in with the sala furniture better than the bigger white plastic table.   I'm going to redo the book covers as sets with writer appropriate props. 

Carefully curated collections do seem to do well.  A number of y'all have been professional photographers for a while.  Stock isn't your only trade.

Edit:  looked at your portfolio just now.   I don't remember so many historical images in the past.

Yup, I've become a student of history lately.😉

I'd say my best selling subjects are architecture, street scenes, ancient artifacts, history, travel, and plants. I haven't licensed a Nicaragua-specific image for awhile, but I do have some dependable resellers.

Do you need a knee replacement?

Just now, John Mitchell said:

Yup, I've become a student of history lately.😉

I'd say my best selling subjects are architecture, street scenes, ancient artifacts, history, travel, and plants. I haven't licensed a Nicaragua-specific image for awhile, but I do have some dependable resellers.

Do you need a knee replacement?

The time-share cat tripped me on a rise from one level to another.  I was most concerned with protecting my skull. Hitting something left a huge bruise on my left arm, and possibly a damaged right shin bone (didn't get x-rays when I had the ultrasound of the right knee but will if this doesn't improve).  I take Aleve and massage the knee with a gel with the active ingredient of Aleve in it. 

Left knee was the one with problems in the past.  It's apparently okay now.  This time, it's the right knee.  Will be driving La Colonia's electric wheel chair on Friday.  Hit my helper with it the last time.  Want some photos from La Colonia which is a high end supermarket chain in Nicaragua.  They've got three different brands of quinoa, and had bronze cut spaghetti in the past, but just two packages of a broader bronze cut noodle last time I was there.  I got one of them.  I will see if they have anchovies and Barkeeper's Friend next.

Maybe the main thing is curating portfolios, putting in new material, culling things that never were zoomed, much less sold.  

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

The time-share cat tripped me on a rise from one level to another.  I was most concerned with protecting my skull. Hitting something left a huge bruise on my left arm, and possibly a damaged right shin bone (didn't get x-rays when I had the ultrasound of the right knee but will if this doesn't improve).  I take Aleve and massage the knee with a gel with the active ingredient of Aleve in it. 

Left knee was the one with problems in the past.  It's apparently okay now.  This time, it's the right knee.  Will be driving La Colonia's electric wheel chair on Friday.  Hit my helper with it the last time.  Want some photos from La Colonia which is a high end supermarket chain in Nicaragua.  They've got three different brands of quinoa, and had bronze cut spaghetti in the past, but just two packages of a broader bronze cut noodle last time I was there.  I got one of them.  I will see if they have anchovies and Barkeeper's Friend next.

Maybe the main thing is curating portfolios, putting in new material, culling things that never were zoomed, much less sold.  

Sorry to hear about your knee problems. They can be troublesome joints, especially as we get older. I've been lucky so far. I should no doubt do some curating, especially since I'm not feeling very motivated to generate new images these days. Then again, you never know what someone might be interested in. Every once in awhile I get surprised.

• Thanks 1

On 17/01/2022 at 08:13, Turnip Towers said:

Just had two sales this morning for UK national newspaper use full resolution for $0.17 each. Is this what Alamy has become?

Yep, just had one of my own today.  My net: $0.07.  Probably not enough to pay for the electricity consumed by my computer while composing this message.

On 18/01/2022 at 17:01, Rebecca Ore said:

Most of what sells, according to All of Alamy, are photos of famous people in politics, entertainment, or sports, especially if they just died.  The other categories that sell (but not as much) are concept shots (smiling pre-teens, handsome adolescent male, adolescent girl, Christmas dinners, etc.) with model releases.

The tourism shots put us in competition with a huge number of other photographers who have similar photographs.

I am not really interested in "What sells (licenses) Today" What I care about is what is licensed next week, next month, next year and

for years afterward.  I have also found that the "Today" licenses are sometimes for pennies, and the Tomorrow, next week, next month, next year 

licenses are for much more, many times more .   I will add that in a perfect world, which does not exist, the fees would be higher across the board, but

I do not see that happening anytime soon.

Chuck

• Love 1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

I am not really interested in "What sells (licenses) Today" What I care about is what is licensed next week, next month, next year and

for years afterward.  I have also found that the "Today" licenses are sometimes for pennies, and the Tomorrow, next week, next month, next year 

licenses are for much more, many times more .   I will add that in a perfect world, which does not exist, the fees would be higher across the board, but

I do not see that happening anytime soon.

Chuck

You have the well-curated portfolio I was thinking of.  

Someone who has taken pictures of famous people who'll die eventually seems to have thought about tomorrow. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

It's now 4th November 2021 since I've managed a gross sale of $20 and September 1st 2021 since I've had one of $50. It's become a welcome distraction if I see one for over $10 bucks these days. Mostly they're all single figure $ which doesn't make the effort worthwhile. 

To give you some hop I have had a $155, and two $40 sales this month plus a few sub $10 sales. Keep working on your keywording, captions and content and the rewards are there.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

You have the well-curated portfolio I was thinking of.  

Someone who has taken pictures of famous people who'll die eventually seems to have thought about tomorrow. 

I have pictures of well known people, but they are still on mainly 35mm B&W negative film. Some are still around, others have passed away. They are in my pile to digitise first.

Edited by sb photos

So far I have avoided the insulting low prices, well today that ended with my first sub$ sale.

What is DOOH?

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 September 2021
Duration: In perpetuity Single use in online platforms, social channels and Editorial use in owned DOOH when used in an editorial context and in owned media.

3 minutes ago, Steve Tucker said:

So far I have avoided the insulting low prices, well today that ended with my first sub$ sale.

What is DOOH?

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 September 2021
Duration: In perpetuity Single use in online platforms, social channels and Editorial use in owned DOOH when used in an editorial context and in owned media.

Digital Out Of Home advertising.

even worse, Why is a licence that started September 2021 only reported now acceptable to Alamy.  Date of reporting is now massively important to probably over half of contributor's future income, why are they penalised for Alamy's administrative practices.  

Lets play... "GUESS THE USAGE!"

"In perpetuity Rights cover 2 pre-paid and pre-cleared UK & Eire transmissions,"

OK, so 2 transmissions

"plus narrative repeats within 7 days of each TX, simulcast to any platform and to any device, including catch up VOD rights across any ITV-branded or affiliated platform and 30 day catch-up on any ITV-branded VOD service."

So 2 uses plus any further number within 7 days.

"Reuse included"

And any further use after that.

Meaningless

This for a TV sale (ITV) - for $3.41.

55 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

Lets play... "GUESS THE USAGE!"

"In perpetuity Rights cover 2 pre-paid and pre-cleared UK & Eire transmissions,"

OK, so 2 transmissions

"plus narrative repeats within 7 days of each TX, simulcast to any platform and to any device, including catch up VOD rights across any ITV-branded or affiliated platform and 30 day catch-up on any ITV-branded VOD service."

So 2 uses plus any further number within 7 days.

"Reuse included"

And any further use after that.

Meaningless

This for a TV sale (ITV) - for $3.41.

I had a TV sale last month, ITV and similar terms to yours, but $4.03, very low. Another TV use in December was for a fair price. Alamy must have done a deal with ITV.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

I had a TV sale last month, ITV and similar terms to yours, but $4.03, very low. Another TV use in December was for a fair price. Alamy must have done a deal with ITV.

My biggest recent sale was $$$ for TV. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to pricing.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Digital Out Of Home advertising.

even worse, Why is a licence that started September 2021 only reported now acceptable to Alamy.  Date of reporting is now massively important to probably over half of contributor's future income, why are they penalised for Alamy's administrative practices.  

Thanks, not a term I had heard before and had to do a search. 

6 hours ago, Steve Tucker said:

Thanks, not a term I had heard before and had to do a search. 

Steve, I suspect you are not the only one. Most of us have likely regularly viewed DOOH advertising without realising what it was. Licensing involving DOOH pays a pittance.

• Love 1