Selling for pennies

9 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

James and Ian -- two of my heroes. 

Damn it! Can someone please tell me how to find the terms of my contract with the options in or out?

Edo

Go to Your Dashboard

"Additional Revenue Options" box under the results graph

"Distribution"  In or Out

if OUT that's it

If IN, click on Distribution to check specific territory which you are technically in

(note last item seems to have issues, since people reported Out for "China" still had December 30 sales)

39 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I admire the Chinese, lived just above Chinatown in NYC.

This has nothing to do with like the Chinese or not. They are doing business just like everyone else, lower the cost as much as they can. It's up to Alamy not to give your product away for pennies. Those penny licenses just accelerate the race to the bottom.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gabbro said:

This has nothing to do with like the Chinese or not. They are doing business just like everyone else, lower the cost as much as they can. It's up to Alamy not to give your product away for pennies. Those penny licenses just accelerate the race to the bottom.

even more  this has to do with Alamy keeping on top of these partners they select for us in exchange for a 60% commission of the net licence fee.  The above acknowledgement pretty much shows even Alamy was taken by surprise by these licences. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gabbro said:

Li, I often voice thoughts that are somewhat off the main subject. Am I plan to keep doing that. I lived in DFW, worked for AA, so I like Texans too.

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Li, I often voice thoughts that are somewhat off the main subject. Am I plan to keep doing that. I lived in DFW, worked for AA, so I like Texans too.

You worked for the Automobile  Association?  When you lived in Oxford I assume?

Allan😊

38 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

You worked for the Automobile  Association?  When you lived in Oxford I assume?

Allan😊

I believe Ed meant he worked for the American Airlines. Its HQ is at Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, ...or is it Alcoholics Anonymous? 😵

Edited by Gabbro

49 minutes ago, Gabbro said:

I believe Ed meant he worked for the American Airlines. Its HQ is at Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, ...or is it Alcoholics Anonymous? 😵

Yes, American Airlines. But Allan knows that. In 1984 I moved to Woodstock, Oxfordshire. Not to be confused with Woodstock, NY. I was not there for the Rock 'n Roll. But my son was. As someone here in Liverpool once said -- fa la la la life goes on.

53 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, American Airlines. But Allan knows that. In 1984 I moved to Woodstock, Oxfordshire. Not to be confused with Woodstock, NY. I was not there for the Rock 'n Roll. But my son was. As someone here in Liverpool once said -- fa la la la life goes on.

That is why I put the smiley in.

Allan

• Like 1

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I'm in Alamy Anonymous but nobody cares..

They stop and point at our vacant stares...

We're on the treadmill, we give up our pics..

We're promised bigger things, but the net worth is nix..

We lament and we pine for good times past..

But the truth of the matter is we're going down fast.

HEY STOP RIGHT THERE!

Put a comb through your hair, and dress up neat..

Now head out to the street..

Now a pic i see...CLICK...Wallah! a Stock multi seller..

I'll do it again and be a rich feller?

And so it goes, i repeat to myself..

I'm in a can, and the last on the shelf..

Those BULK BUYERS don't do things by stealth?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Don't take it seriously, just having a laugh...

Ahh you gotta laugh! 😄😄😄

Quote of the day....

We give them hope...because it keeps them occupied. 

Edited by William Caram
Sure as hell..i can't spell
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, William Caram said:

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I'm in Alamy Anonymous but nobody cares..

They stop and point at our vacant stares...

We're on the treadmill, we give up our pics..

We're promised bigger things, but the net worth is nix..

We lament and we pine for good times past..

But the truth of the matter is we're going down fast.

HEY STOP RIGHT THERE!

Put a comb through your hair, and dress up neat..

Now head out to the street..

Now a pic i see...CLICK...Wallah! a multi seller..

I'll do again and be a rich feller?

And so it goes, i repeat to myself..

I'm in a can, and the last on the shelf..

Those BULK BUYERS don't do things by stealth?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Don't take it seriously, just having a laugh...

Ahh you gotta laugh! 😄😄😄

Quote of the day....

We give them hope...because it keeps them occupied. 

Excellent William, you made me laugh!

19 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks for the update James. I'm sure that we would all feel more motivated if you could add some details ( as and when) so that we can feel involved in this excitement and ambition.

We need something!

Exactly. What's in it for us? 

On 15/01/2022 at 09:26, geogphotos said:

Thanks for the update James. I'm sure that we would all feel more motivated if you could add some details ( as and when) so that we can feel involved in this excitement and ambition.

We need something!

I'm rather tired of Alamy posts promising exciting times ahead. Maybe for PA coffers it is but it never seems to be for contributors.

• Love 1
  • Like 5

What I don't understand is why accepting silly (and damaging) sales like these is a "requirement" for Alamy. They don't really benefit anyone, neither contributors nor Alamy. Surely the most productive thing to do from a business POV would be to stop working with this particular distributor. They aren't likely to change their ways. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

They don't really benefit anyone, neither contributors nor Alamy.

We are not sure about this yet. It may even be a very good way to get lots of brownie points if they now count toward regular sales. Novel Use didn't.

wim

23 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

We are not sure about this yet. It may even be a very good way to get lots of brownie points if they now count toward regular sales. Novel Use didn't.

wim

There's gotta be a better way of earning brownie points.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

wim

Does Alamy even collect data from Distributor searches?    

Edited by meanderingemu

Some of us remember another way of earning "Brownie Points;" making a personal impression on actual human picture researchers. Alamy's digital ranking system is pretty awful in my mind, and yet, it's far better than anything else I've ever experienced. I would rather have my micro-priced sales counted towards my rank than feeling like I have to visit headquarters and leave boxes of chocolates for the researchers. (something that always made sales spike back in the eighties)

These sales we've been discussing have been part of my stock photo reality since I first got involved in the industry back in 1971. Yes, we should be asking about this vast transaction and what it means, and no, we shouldn't be surprised when they come.

BTW ... back around 1994, I confronted the owner of an agency about this very same issue. His response? "Do you know why so many photographers don't know about these deals? It's because most agencies don't report them." 

• Love 2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

What I don't understand is why accepting silly (and damaging) sales like these is a "requirement" for Alamy. They don't really benefit anyone, neither contributors nor Alamy. Surely the most productive thing to do from a business POV would be to stop working with this particular distributor. They aren't likely to change their ways. 

THIS.

The Chinese distributor in question is clearly a very low priced microstock distributor and Alamy should stop working with them.

As simple as that. 

• Like 5