Selling for pennies

10 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Perhaps their subscription is running out and they are just using what they have left to buy what they think might come in useful for the future.

considering i opted out earlier this year, i am still convinced Alamy will tell us all these happened throughout the year, and were never reported until now which in itself is another desperate thing for Alamy to accept.  Same for the $8.82 sales coming in today.    

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1

1 for me too $.15 for 8mp RF. So bad it actually shows up as zero on the dashboard

An experimental 3D image that took a few hours to make.

I'm very annoyed as I opted out of ALL distributer sales before the new contract was put in place.

3d-rendering-of-abstract-geometric-forms

• Love 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, BobD said:

I am opted out of all distributer sales. Alamy seem to just ignore my wishes.

Does this mean that this deal was in place before the new contract became operational? 

My hunch is that what is happening is the final reporting of what hopefully is a subscription deal that is now coming to an end. Hopefully.....

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Does this mean that this deal was in place before the new contract became operational? 

My hunch is that what is happening is the final reporting of what hopefully is a subscription deal that is now coming to an end. Hopefully.....

I opted out on the 15th May, over 7 months ago. Plenty of time to not be getting sales via distributers.

11 minutes ago, BobD said:

I opted out on the 15th May, over 7 months ago. Plenty of time to not be getting sales via distributers.

considering all the 15 cents reports came in yesterday, this deal was likely in place for a while and Alamy never reported the sales before.  I know they will blame the Distributor for this, but I rely on Alamy to vet, select and manage these distributors, this is what the 60% commission is for, so this is on them.   We can also rest assured that we will only find out if the opt outs are respected in December 2022.

Of course Alamy has incentive to promote these type of reporting since it means more money for them.  Plenty of these downloads would then have happened under the old contract.  Next year, many people would then have these types reported after they have dropped to 20%

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I had 4 of those yesterday, 7 more this morning. All but 3 are China subject. All RF images. What a nice happy new year present from Alamy. 😎

Edited by Gabbro

I just also had a photo sold for $0.15.

What is Novel Use, where do I find it, and how do I opt out?

I prefer not to have one of my photos sold for this ridiculous amount - its virtually theft. I expect I will get about 4 cents after Alamy takes their commission..

30 December 2021 Royalty-free 4 MB
1710 x 773 pixels
33KB compressed
China
$ 0.15
  • Like 1

VERY slow month for me here and on one of the other sites, but I was happy to see 8 sales the last 2 days (30th, 31st). Unfortunately, all eight of those sales have netted me .32 cents... Ridiculous.

Captureaa.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alank said:

I just also had a photo sold for $0.15.

What is Novel Use, where do I find it, and how do I opt out?

I prefer not to have one of my photos sold for this ridiculous amount - its virtually theft. I expect I will get about 4 cents after Alamy takes their commission..

30 December 2021 Royalty-free 4 MB
1710 x 773 pixels
33KB compressed
China
$ 0.15

nothing Novel about it.  Actually i don't think the agree allows Novel use by a distributor, not that this would likely affect finale results. 

Edited by meanderingemu

2 hours ago, Reimar said:

Here I thought I "only" had 32 four cent sales.  But there where two more pages of them!  83 in all.  Quite the package deal.  I only see RF and ROW in the details.

It looks like a new Chinese business model of buying photos cheap this year and selling them at a higher price next year (we are credited, of course) ....

Oh, well - wishful thinking!

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

40 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

nothing Novel about it.  Actually i don't think the agree allows Novel use by a distributor, not that this would likely affect finale results. 

I found out where this is:. Its been lurking on the "My dashboard"page under "Additional revenue options". 

For some unexplained reason I can only opt out in April.

Our novel use scheme

You opted in on 11 Nov 2017. You have:
  1. Increased sales opportunities
  2. The chance to sell to new and exciting markets
You can opt out in April.

Additional revenue options

Option Status Action
Distribution inout You signed up on 11 Nov 2017
Novel use inout You signed up on 11 Nov 2017
Image options inout You signed up on 11 Nov 2017
Reportage/archival or Live News image upload service   Apply

I had four sales invoiced today. Three of them were those irritating $0.15 jobs. The net from all four sales will be totally wiped out (and more) by an "other fees" charge that popped up yesterday. Somehow this feels like a fitting way to end to this wonky year. 🙄

P.S. I opted out of Novel Use several years ago.

Edited by John Mitchell

I only had one of the $0.15 sales, fortunately I have very few RF images in my portfolio.  However I am opted out of distribution for China so it should never have happened.  

I will be reviewing my other RF images with a view to changing them to RM if they haven't already sold as RF.  I really don't like being ripped off and that's what it feels like

Pearl

Edited by Pearl
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

considering i opted out earlier this year, i am still convinced Alamy will tell us all these happened throughout the year, and were never reported until now which in itself is another desperate thing for Alamy to accept.  Same for the $8.82 sales coming in today.    

I too had an $8.82 distro sale invoiced today, probably the last of the year. This means that my total number of sales for 2021 will be exactly what it was for 2020 (which is a bit weird). Revenue is another story of course. 🙁

• Love 2

Got 10 of these sales myself today, all to China even though I opted out of distibution in May and am not in Novel Use scheme.

However, all 10 images had been bought for low prices in a bulk discount deal prior to me opting out, so could this be a relicensing of those images. Anybody else know if their images had been bought earlier in the year in such a way?

For the record all my images were wintry in nature - dewdrops on grass, frost on leaves, etc.

2 minutes ago, Brizbee said:

Got 10 of these sales myself today, all to China even though I opted out of distibution in May and am not in Novel Use scheme.

However, all 10 images had been bought for low prices in a bulk discount deal prior to me opting out, so could this be a relicensing of those images. Anybody else know if their images had been bought earlier in the year in such a way?

For the record all my images were wintry in nature - dewdrops on grass, frost on leaves, etc.

mine had never been licensed before.  I also opted out of distribution to China with the new Contract 

42 minutes ago, Pearl said:

I only had one of the $0.15 sales, fortunately I have very few RF images in my portfolio.  However I am opted out of distribution for China so it should never have happened.  

I will be reviewing my other RF images with a view to changing them to RM if they haven't already sold as RF.  I really don't like being ripped off and that's what it feels like

Pearl

That won’t protect you. My 15 cent China sale is RM.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe that science fiction writers who submitted stories to magazines in the 60s(?) were paid $0.01 per word. So Alamy appear to think a picture is worth four words: I seem to remember a saying that indicated a significantly higher exchange rate...

Edited by DJ Myford
Typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alexander Hog said:

And I will be in that 20% bracket due to lack of sales but not had any as low fees yet but dreading the thought 

actually this is the other part of problem for delayed reporting. Obviously not an issue with 15 cents sales, but you could have sale in next 6 months that only get reported much later, keeping you artificially at a lower bracket level. 

• Like 1

It's amazing to think that if a contributors licences were all for $0.15 their monthly licensing would need to total around 139 to maintain their 40%. In reality that scenario is most unlikely, otherwise Alamy could never cover their overheads and would be out of business. Thankfully I have only had a few $1.67 licences along with much better licences. Try to have a HNY.