Using a digital compact camera

Another vote for the Fuji X100, but in any case these have APS-C sensors so will easily surpass Alamy standards, as will cameras from other cameras with APS-C sensors if they have good lenses. The fixed 23mm on the original X100 was unchanged in the X100S, X100T & X100F and is excellent apart from being a little soft at short range and wide open, they have apparently fixed this for the X100V. The X100F & X100V take the larger batteries from the XT & X-Pro 1,2 &3

Alamy themselves suggest that Micro 4/3 should be acceptable and many on here use (with care) the Sony RX-100 range.

This is looking a little out-dated now:

https://www.alamy.com/blog/alamys-rough-guide-to-digital-cameras

• Thanks 1

So long as the sensor is of a suitable size. Preferably NOT less than what they term as a 1" sensor.

Allan

• Thanks 1

I have 343 images on Alamy taken with a Panasonic Lumix GF2 which I picked up on ebay for £75 (used but it looked almost new and included the 14-42mm lens).   Had 11 sales from it which has more than recouped the cost.   Fairly useless (for Alamy) at high ISO though.

• Thanks 1

Been using Sony RX100 MK1 since 2018, have sold images taken with this camera also.  I wanted something cheap and cheerful for when not carrying my Nikon around.  I'm always amazed by the quality of this camera, it also shoots RAW - I'm sure the later models are even better.  The only downside with the MK1 is that it doesn't have a viewfinder which obviously I knew when I got it, it can be a nuisance  when the light is bright but again I'm always amazed I seem to get something decent in any light.  Fits either in my bag or a pocket.

Carol

• Thanks 1

Another vote for the RX models. I started with the original, then got the RX-3 and have a viewfinder. They are handy!

This was taken with one, and has sold.

HM9DA6.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I have 343 images on Alamy taken with a Panasonic Lumix GF2 which I picked up on ebay for £75 (used but it looked almost new and included the 14-42mm lens).   Had 11 sales from it which has more than recouped the cost.   Fairly useless (for Alamy) at high ISO though.

I have images up with a Lumix GF1, (same lens came with it).  Not all images taken with it have worked out.  Licensed one taken with it last month.  Couple of Micro 4/3rds cameras would be useful.  The Sony 1 inch sensor cameras others have mentoned are, however, quite a bit smaller if that's a factor.

• Thanks 1

Paul, most everything I shoot for Alamy is with a Sony RX100-V or an RX100-VI. Occasionally I'll go out with my Sony a6000 and the Sony 10-18 zoom. I have a 5-star QC rating. I sold my Nikons a long time ago now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Paul, most everything I shoot for Alamy is with a Sony RX100-V or an RX100-VI. Occasionally I'll go out with my Sony a6000 and the Sony 10-18 zoom. I have a 5-star QC rating. I sold my Nikons a long time ago now.

EDO,

Had a NIKON in my hands for over 40 years and do not intend to change.  Love my D800's and my 700 is still not bad for certain things.  I would love to go back to

using Leica M's but that is not going to happen in this market.  Will not touch a SONY and yes I know that SONY made the sensor in the D800.

Hope you and your "little cameras" are well.

Best,

Chuck

• Dislike 2

21 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

EDO,

Had a NIKON in my hands for over 40 years and do not intend to change.  Love my D800's and my 700 is still not bad for certain things.  I would love to go back to

using Leica M's but that is not going to happen in this market.  Will not touch a SONY and yes I know that SONY made the sensor in the D800.

Hope you and your "little cameras" are well.

Best,

Chuck

Horses for courses Chuck.

In the wildlife world Sony has turned the whole thing on its head. I am still on Nikon which I have been for years but if I wanted to upgrade Sony would win by a country mile because of its INCREDIBLE autofocus. A system that is making pictures possible that were nigh on impossible a few years ago.

Additional Note: I did not read the thread title, my bad. I am talking about the high end Sony mirrorless cameras which wallop everything else on autofocus by a country mile.

Edited by Panthera tigris
Additional Note
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, David Pimborough said:

I bought a second hand Sony A6000 and they are perfectly acceptable. It has same sensor size as the Sony A77 DSLR I have and a lot less bother to haul around and shoots 6000x4000 pixel Raw/Jpegs

Before I bought my Sony RX100 Mk7 I did look at the Sony A6000 series, but chose the RX100 for its small size. I only use it in good light, shoot raw, and carry it when I'm not expecting to shoot anything, just incase. Otherwise I'd carry my shoulder or backpack with bulkier D750's. I've sold images shot with the RX100, no $$$ sales, but will never recoup its cost. I also use it for personal photography and family gatherings, its quite adequate for those purposes. I wouldn't by choice use it for a fast moving event due to its menu system compared to making quick changes with a D750.

Edited by sb photos

2 hours ago, Panthera tigris said:

In the wildlife world Sony has turned the whole thing on its head. I am still on Nikon which I have been for years but if I wanted to upgrade Sony would win by a country mile because of its INCREDIBLE autofocus. A system that is making pictures possible that were nigh on impossible a few years ago.

Yeah, Paul — and the RX100-7 is a big step up from the RX100-6 autofocus and a few other things. If I were still doing the things Chuck and Steve are doing I'd still toot Nikons for the PR effect. But I'm in a different world now and Sony does it for me. 

• Like 2

I bought a used  RX100 V to use alongside a Sony a6500.  The RX100 is far better than it thought it would be, and, most of the time, produces results that are suitable for Alamy.

However, inevitably I guess, if you tweak images or shoot at high ISO, noise can become a problem that can't always be dealt with. 

Again the lens is good, but, on occasion, I've had to bin an image due to edge softness.

So it doesn't replace my a6500, and motley collections of lenses, but for local cycle trips in good light or occasions where photography is a secondary purpose it's the ideal tool. Indeed until I can source a decent 16-18 mm or thereabouts lens for the a6500, the RX100 fulfils that role with a 24 mm equivalent wide setting.

I've solved all those problems you mentioned, Bryan. The noise I correct in LR Classic, if needed. I have my auto ISO set at a max of 1,600. I check sharpness at 100%, edge also. Regardless of the camera, if an image doesn't shape up, I don't submit it. I don't take pictures in bad light. 

The Sony 10-18 (35mm view of 15-27) is a killer lens, but not cheap. That's for your a6500, or my a6000. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Panthera tigris said:

There is no right answer is there. Despite advances in AF the smaller Sony mirrorless bodies are an ergonomics disaster. I seriously considered the A6600 and 200-600 for birding but the lack of basic necessities on the camera (AF selector joystick, front settings wheel) put me off. It's pro camera guts in the body of something resembling at best an upmarket compact. I don't think I will ever get rid of my SLT bodies (the A99 is and will always be a fantastic stills camera with a wonderful FF sensor) but for anything that moves I'm going to Nikon.

Edited by Cal

22 hours ago, Panthera tigris said:

Additional Note: I did not read the thread title, my bad. I am talking about the high end Sony mirrorless cameras which wallop everything else on autofocus by a country mile.

I don't think that you read what I wrote as well, or you did not understand what I wrote.  The bottom line is there is always something new with new bells and whistles.

I remember the good old days of CANON F-1s, LEICA M's and HASSELBLADs.  I do not like SONY, the company and that is my choice.  Many of the images that I have

on Alamy were done with the help of NIKON, some with assistance from LEICA and CANON.  I do not have much good to say about the current NIKON Corp.  but I do

Love my D800s and some of my ED glass is older than a lot of the the current Alamy contributors.

Chuck

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

I don't think that you read what I wrote as well, or you did not understand what I wrote.  The bottom line is there is always something new with new bells and whistles.

I remember the good old days of CANON F-1s, LEICA M's and HASSELBLADs.  I do not like SONY, the company and that is my choice.  Many of the images that I have

on Alamy were done with the help of NIKON, some with assistance from LEICA and CANON.  I do not have much good to say about the current NIKON Corp.  but I do

Love my D800s and some of my ED glass is older than a lot of the the current Alamy contributors.

Chuck

I always loved the way the Nikon F3 fit into the palms of my hands. I still have it.

Now I am using a D5, anything else would be alien to me. Ergonomics is just about everything when shooting sports or editorial. Anything smaller would be like using a toy camera.

13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The Sony 10-18 (35mm view of 15-27) is a killer lens, but not cheap. That's for your a6500, or my a6000. 

Probably the answer Edo, but a bit rich for me. I take the view that kit has to earn its keep, and with current fees, that's not looking likely. 

Also, despite trying a number of them (not the 15-27),  I've  yet to find  a Sony zoom for the axxx series that has impressed, but maybe I've been unlucky ?  I have the Rokinon 12 mm, and that's very good, (more than paid for itself after one sale)  and am considering the 16, but some of  the reviews aren't too glowing. Probably comes down to quality control.

Edited by Bryan

I bought that Rokinon too, Bryan. It was sharp enough. I don't recall why I returned it. I think I found it awkward to use. ???  Like Chuck, I worked with Nikons for 40 years too. Unlike Chuck, I don't do all his pushups and found the D700 much too heavy and visible for Street photography. 

By the way, this month is the best I've ever had in sales and earnings from Alamy.

To get back to the OP's question, these pocket Sonys easily pass Alamy QC.

Edited by Ed Rooney

Another vote for Sony RX models. I got a RX100 IV a year back. 1/3 of my sales in last year were from the RX100.

Fits nicely in the trousers pocket. Even managed to carry in one of the hip belt loop case during a bike ride.

The RX100 (VA) in my case is a miraculous piece of engineering - tiny but exceptional image quality for the size of the sensor. I carry mine in a small belt pouch but it will easily fit in a pocket as Gnans says. It also does decent 4K video. I have not used it much of late as I am not doing any walkabout photography but it is ideal for that purpose. I don't know why Nikon DSLRs even got a mention in this thread. The OP's question was about recommendations for a compact camera when he leaves his Nikon DSLR at home. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1