Amazon Prime (Free unlimited photo backup)

I've just started to make use of the free Amazon Prime unlimited photo backup facility. Seems to be a no brainer if you already have an Amazon Prime account and more reliable than individual 2 - 4TB HDU storage solutions. I'd be interested to know what people think.

I have a Prime account, sounds interesting and I wasn't aware. The trouble is it means you are tied to Prime and as I seem to have exhausted the watchable films and TV series and the rest seems to be dross I was thinking of unsubscribing. Not sure I would want to be tied to them tbh. I'm not sure the 'free' postage is sufficient reason to keep me with them.

• Love 3

9 minutes ago, Steve Tucker said:

I have a Prime account, sounds interesting and I wasn't aware. The trouble is it means you are tied to Prime and as I seem to have exhausted the watchable films and TV series and the rest seems to be dross I was thinking of unsubscribing. Not sure I would want to be tied to them tbh. I'm not sure the 'free' postage is sufficient reason to keep me with them.

I know what you mean but I discovered they do a stonking good deal on own brand coffee capsules and Andrex loo roll! Compensates for the fee and I get free delivery. Nothing in particular on Prime I want to watch but saves on splashing out on another 4TB HDU every few years.

Edited by Jansos
typo

2 minutes ago, Jansos said:

I know what you mean but I discovered they do a stonking good deal on own brand coffee capsules and Andrex loo roll! Compensates for the fee and I get free delivery. Nothing in particular on Prime I want to watch but saves on splashing out on another 4TB HDU every few years.

Until Amazon decides to change the deal.

• Love 6
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jansos said:

I know what you mean but I discovered they do a stonking good deal on own brand coffee capsules 

Coffee in capsules is a crime against humanity. 

• Love 2
  • Like 6
  • Dislike 1

Read the fine print. They must be private photos, not commercial ones. I uploaded some family pix to make them easier to share with my daughter but the interface wasn't what I'd want for searching through tens of thousands of images.

I'll stick with Photoshelter and Sync for my online backup. 

And redundant backup drives are cheap. I just got the tiniest 1TB SSD for less than $140 - It'll last years and no contract changes to worry about. 😎

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

No, I mean coffee in capsules tastes like camel dung.

Could be.

Allan

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Coffee in capsules is a crime against humanity. 

Never like them, but I do drink a lot of Nescafe Alta Rica instant which is very expensive and because of the OP I looked on Amazon where it is the cheapest I have ever seen it.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Tucker said:

Never like them, but I do drink a lot of Nescafe Alta Rica instant which is very expensive and because of the OP I looked on Amazon where it is the cheapest I have ever seen it.

Inst.. Instant?  You're going straight to hell! 😂

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Since I can no longer drop in at Sant' Eustachio bar in Rome in the morning, I make do with No. 5 Italian or French roast from M&S brewed in a French press. I have two mugs with breakfast and no more. 

Amazon Prime? I still have an account. They can't deliver to my building and for some strange reason they can't or won't deliver to ether of their two nearby lockers. I don't think I'll be getting involved in their photo storage plan.

• Love 2

20 minutes ago, Russell Watkins said:

Instant coffee is to coffee what microstock is to stock photography.

How about instant coffee is to photography what in-camera JPEGs are to raw.

On a more serious note and coffee Is serious stuff, I recommend Waitrose Sumatran organic beans or ready ground. It normally costs £3.25 / 250g which is good value but they regularly have sales at £2.50 which is incredibly good value. They have similar sales for a lot of their other coffee but the Sumatran organic is exquisite in taste and powerful in caffeine content. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

we invested in the cheapest home Espresso machine years ago thinking we might not use it that much (NOT THE WRETCHED POD TYPE!) After 8 years use a couple of times a day, we had worn it out and replaced it two years ago. If we have a visitor or two, Jane makes a batch in a cafetiere, but I have to hold back and run up a small strong-un for myself. Start the morning with a huge mug of builder's tea then a mid-morning small strong espresso and one more mid-afternoon. Then quits, that's probably enough caffeine for a day

Edited by Robert M Estall
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Steve Tucker said:

I have a Prime account but will only keep it while I qualify for student discount. Won't be able to justify it wiothout.

On the coffee front the best buy we made during lockdown was to buy a bean to cup coffee machine. The only waste are used grounds that go on the garden or compost heap.

• Love 1