Amazon Prime (Free unlimited photo backup)

Managed to avoid Prime despite their underhand attempts to make you sign up, I've had to disengage from it a few times when the Mrs inadvertently got embroiled. We recently bought a book and  looked elsewhere and found it cheaper from a local bookstore.  Until A pay their full taxes in the UK will continue to look for alternatives. 

Cloud, no chance, although our younger son's company does everything that way - but paid for and definitely not via Amazon.

Re coffee, worst I've ever had came from a pod machine in a little shop in Yorkshire, actually undrinkable.  We use aged Moka pots and prefer Taylor's Lazy Sunday, but, to be honest,  if in a hurry, we'll sup instant.  We recently had the builders in to repoint the roof tiles, and, no expense spared, I made them cups of Moka coffee.  The following day they brought a jar of instant, there's no accounting for taste.

Greggs make surprisingly good coffee and very competitively priced.  Talking of which a new competitor from Canada is arriving in these parts, Tim Hortons is shortly to be seen in, the original,  Washington UK.

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, Bryan said:

We recently had the builders in to repoint the roof tiles, and, no expense spared, I made them cups of Moka coffee.  The following day they brought a jar of instant, there's no accounting for taste.

🤣🤣🤣

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

The latest thing Bezos has done is something called “Amazon Street”. If you have any of the devices, tomorrow you’ll be signed in for your neighbors to access your Wi-Fi, and you their’s.  Read about it. If you have Alexa, go into the app. Bottom right, click on “More”. Go to Settings, then “Account Settings” then “Amazon Street.” Turn the slider to off.

I heard, whether it’s true or not, that Bezos said, “If you don’t like it, sue me! Hahaha.”

A TV station in my old home town (Oklahoma City) ran a news series on it last week and the danger it could be to your personal information. My sister who lives in Oklahoma called me or otherwise I wouldn’t know about it. How many other people with Amazon devices don’t know? If you have no devices, you’re okay.

Good advice, but make that "Amazon Sidewalk."  A bit of overreach.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

You are right…Amazon Sidewalk.

Amazon - Too big for it's britches.    Yes I used to use them a looooong time ago but do not like them in any way now.  Always look for my wants elsewhere.

And would never have smart goods in my house. (Sorry bungalow).

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

I use One Drive as I looked all the cloud servers over, and found it the best deal for me.  I travel a lot for my business (when Covid isn't around) and need to access my files from anywhere I am.  Certainly don't want to be hauling hard drives around. And good to have off site backup.

I have Amazon Prime, but don't use the free photo storage as it isn't for business, and I certainly don't need them to wipe out everything I uploaded should they notice they are definitely business files.  I avoid buying from Amazon when I can, and often find prices better in a store.  Just cause it's on Amazon, doesn't mean it's cheaper.  I'm sure sales are decreasing as more businesses are opening back up and people are less dependent on online shopping.

Jill

• Love 1

I'm all for shopping locally even if it is a bit more expensive, which I usually find it is NOT.

Keep your local shops/stores going, don't lose them.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I'm all for shopping locally even if it is a bit more expensive, which I usually find it is NOT.

Allan

I agree with you in principle, Allan. I’ve always felt Walmart ran most of the mom & pop stores to ground. I always prefer to shop in person. The past couple of years it’s become hard for me because of back issues. Plus during the past year, there was COVID-19 restraints, also. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

This coming from someone who used to hit at least 3 shops to comparison price something I needed. Circumstances change. I’m sure Amazon made a fortune during the Covid shutdown.

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Powell's in Oregon sells books on line as well as in the store.  For e-books, check publisher web sites.

10 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Powell's in Oregon sells books on line as well as in the store.  For e-books, check publisher web sites.

I do not shop abroad for books. Use local book shops and Waterstones and WH Smith either in store or on line if necessary. Rather shop in store though as they are our local shop.

Use it or lose it again.

Allan

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I agree with you in principle, Allan. I’ve always felt Walmart ran most of the mom & pop stores to ground. I always prefer to shop in person. The past couple of years it’s become hard for me because of back issues. Plus during the past year, there was COVID-19 restraints, also. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

This coming from someone who used to hit at least 3 shops to comparison price something I needed. Circumstances change. I’m sure Amazon made a fortune during the Covid shutdown.

I would certainly shop in local stores for clothing, shoes and some other goods. With clothes and shoes I prefer to see and feel and try on before buying.

Allan

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I would certainly shop in local stores for clothing, shoes and some other goods. With clothes and shoes I prefer to see and feel and try on before buying.

Allan

never order clothing. If there’s one thing I abhor doing, it’s returns.

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I do not shop abroad for books. Use local book shops and Waterstones and WH Smith either in store or on line if necessary. Rather shop in store though as they are our local shop.

Use it or lose it again.

Allan

I shop for Spanish language books where ever I can find them which has included a guy selling books in a restaurant, a stationdary store, and Hispamer is the big book store in Managua.  English language books are kinda rare here. 

For shoes, clothes, and furniture, the neighbors make these.   I can get a custom fit with all of that, including having the furniture maker check my proper seating height by having me sit down on another piece of furniture and figuring from there.  Prices are around $45 US for shoes.  Mostly, though, for clothes, I buy used in the second hand stores.

Computers and camera gear are more expensive here than if I lived in the US, but what with shipping costs and taxes and duty, I come out close to even if I buy locally and if anything goes wrong, I can do a return far more easily.  

Edited by MizBrown
more information