Amazon Prime (Free unlimited photo backup)

Mi cafe est el cafe de mi departmento, en grano, molida en mi casa antes preparando.    In my bad Spanish.   In English:  My coffee is the coffee of my department, whole bean, milled in my house before preparing.  

It's also roasted maybe a week earlier than when I sent Luis to buy more from the local growers coop coffee shop.   I generally make it in a French press.   Beans are around $3.50 a pound.

• Love 3

18 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Mi cafe est el cafe de mi departmento, en grano, molida en mi casa antes preparando.    In my bad Spanish.   In English:  My coffee is the coffee of my department, whole bean, milled in my house before preparing.  

It's also roasted maybe a week earlier than when I sent Luis to buy more from the local growers coop coffee shop.   I generally make it in a French press.   Beans are around $3.50 a pound.

Sounds muy delicioso

I’ve a bunch of coffee makers but my daily machine is a Sage Barista Pro. I use Velo beans (Irish company) and essentially I get coffee shop coffee at home. If anyone is ever in West Cork, come to the house and I’ll make you a cup. Any contributors that is, no one from the regime is invited...

• Love 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Tucker said:

There is such a thing as a Coffee snob you know.

Coffee snobs are Jinoteganos' favorite people.  What costs me $3.50 locally costs $15 to $16 a pound in the US.  And then there's Elephant Bean coffee, which occasionally gets sold as some rare coffee that is absolutely special.  Overtones of black pepper, nice enough, but only when very freshly roasted and ground before using.   And then there's treating robusta by having civits digest it and shit it out.  Mellows robusta a bit, but you could just drink an arabica for a whole lot less money. 

Cup of Excellence awards generally go to coffee grown in DIplito in high mountains near the Honduran border and the winning finca's coffee is auctioned off in 100 lb bags, generally at amazing money per pound and shipped to Taiwan or Japan.   I've never bothered with the Diplito coffees sold in grocery stores. 

Some of it is real.   Some of it is self-hypnosis.   I think this happens in other endeavors, too.

Friend said, "Drink what you like.  Don't worry about what other people say they like."  True also for wines, teas, and beers. 

• Like 2

I have Prime, but I'm not keen on storing any of my files on big company servers. I won't put anything in "the cloud". I'm a luddite when it comes to this stuff and I also know too much from my years as a QA Engineer and working on networks. 

I use external hard drives - I have two right now with the same files on each. I store them in separate places. 

• Love 2

I have a nephew who works for Amazon in their "Cloud" division.  He helps start up businesses with getting on the Amazon cloud service for next to free with the idea that they will become dependent on Amazon for then on.  Noting is free.....except when it comes to photos being "given away” on the micros.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

I use it..... The AI search is pretty good at finding that shot you remember you took, but have no idea when!

Annoyingly, they dont recognise Canon .CR3 file formats as photos - so they count as normal files and quickly fill up your free space!

.CR2 files do count as photos - so you have unlimited storage of those.

I have tried to point out to them that .CR3 files are more compressed - so they would be better storing those!

25 minutes ago, Sally said:

Our food waste is recycled by the council collected every week.

what do they do with the compost?    our selective collection doesn't compost everything where i live

Edited by meanderingemu

4 hours ago, Sally said:

Not if they are compostable which the ones I use are from Lavazza

You're missing my point - they're a crime against humanity because they taste like camel dung.  The worst tasting coffee ever.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

You're missing my point - they're a crime against humanity because they taste like camel dung.  The worst tasting coffee ever.

Again, whatever people enjoy is all that matters.  Thank goodness we are a diverse bunch and our tastes vary as much as our photography.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Again, whatever people enjoy is all that matters.  Thank goodness we are a diverse bunch and our tastes vary as much as our photography.

Very true.  I'm a coffee purist so my view on coffee is, shall we say, extreme.

6 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Very true.  I'm a coffee purist so my view on coffee is, shall we say, extreme.

With coffee, there's always more extreme.  Last year's Nicaraguan Cup of Excellence winners were going for up to $36 a pound as green (unroasted) coffee.   I pay a tenth of that at my local growers' coop retail store for roasted.  Harrods was in the bidding group,  so you can get Nicaraguan COE coffee there.  :).  

More information here:  https://dailycoffeenews.com/2020/07/20/16th-nicaragua-cup-of-excellence-auction-breaks-price-records/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MizBrown said:

With coffee, there's always more extreme.  Last year's Nicaraguan Cup of Excellence winners were going for up to $36 a pound as green (unroasted) coffee.   I pay a tenth of that at my local growers' coop retail store for roasted.  Harrods was in the bidding group,  so you can get Nicaraguan COE coffee there.  :).  

More information here:  https://dailycoffeenews.com/2020/07/20/16th-nicaragua-cup-of-excellence-auction-breaks-price-records/

Ooh!

On 02/06/2021 at 16:08, Michael Ventura said:

I have a nephew who works for Amazon in their "Cloud" division.  He helps start up businesses with getting on the Amazon cloud service for next to free with the idea that they will become dependent on Amazon for then on.  Noting is free.....except when it comes to photos being "given away” on the micros.

The latest thing Bezos has done is something called “Amazon Street”. If you have any of the devices, tomorrow you’ll be signed in for your neighbors to access your Wi-Fi, and you their’s.  Read about it. If you have Alexa, go into the app. Bottom right, click on “More”. Go to Settings, then “Account Settings” then “Amazon Street.” Turn the slider to off.

I heard, whether it’s true or not, that Bezos said, “If you don’t like it, sue me! Hahaha.”

A TV station in my old home town (Oklahoma City) ran a news series on it last week and the danger it could be to your personal information. My sister who lives in Oklahoma called me or otherwise I wouldn’t know about it. How many other people with Amazon devices don’t know? If you have no devices, you’re okay.

Sorry but the only cloud I care about is the one I am asleep on..

External drives are so cheap, I keep all on them, currently have 

about 30 lbs of WD drives on my desk....

I do remember when I bought a WD 1TB drive for $385,00...

I get them now for less than $50.00, kinda like Alamy stock

Photos,,,,,,,,,

Chuck

• Love 2

3 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Sorry but the only cloud I care about is the one I am asleep on..

External drives are so cheap, I keep all on them, currently have 

about 30 lbs of WD drives on my desk....

Chuck

Offsite backup??

Mark