Kathy deWitt

Question

Hi Kathy;

Since 1st Dec 2020 I have had in total 70 sales, of which 13 were distributor.

The gross values for these 13 were as follows (highest to lowest):

$70

$63

$52

$46

$30

$27

$15

$15

$11

$5

$3

$3

$3

All my images are exclusive to Alamy - I think that means that from distributor sales I get about 33% or thereabouts, but as you can see, some of them are (for these days) reasonable fees (In this period I have had no $$$ sales of any kind), and given the numbers also, I am happy to continue in the distributor scheme

Hope this helps

Kumar

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Checked my distributor sales for the last year - I had 18 in total. The gross values were:

$175

$122

$68

$31

$29

$25

$19

$6

$6

$4

$4

$4

$4

$3

$3

$3

$3

$3

The top 2 were to Japan (book use), and the next 4 were to Germany, so I think those 2 countries are worth opting in for.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Hi Kathy;

Since 1st Dec 2020 I have had in total 70 sales, of which 13 were distributor.

All my images are exclusive to Alamy - I think that means that from distributor sales I get about 33% or thereabouts, but as you can see, some of them are (for these days) reasonable fees (In this period I have had no $$$ sales of any kind), and given the numbers also, I am happy to continue in the distributor scheme

Hope this helps

Kumar

Interesting Kumar, thank you!

11 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

Checked my distributor sales for the last year - I had 18 in total. The gross values were:

The top 2 were to Japan (book use), and the next 4 were to Germany, so I think those 2 countries are worth opting in for.

Thank you VB, a few good ones there.

I think it it worth it for me, I have 40% of 2020 sales came from distributors. My highest distributor sale was $225 and low value sales can be very low but overall I'm happy to participate in this revenue opportunity. 

• Like 1

Had a quick look.  in last year my distribution deals. Gross

Top one is French TV.

The one thing to note, is at least one was sold again twice after, and all now appear in top 10% of images in searches for subject matter, a few  first 2 lines, which i not always fact for my other images. 

so yes the fees are low, but if it helps my ranking, i'm ok with it  for now

NOTE ADDED:  The four lowest amounts are from countries that used to be part of Yugoslavia.

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1

Distributor sales are a mixed bag. I had two of the best sales in 2020 from distributors in Japan ($289 and $226). Then there were a bunch of them in single digit. To be clear, we the contributors get 30% of gross sales, Alamy gets 30%, distributors get 40%.

• Like 1

Prices for distributor sales are all over the place as others have mentioned, but I'd say it's definitely worth signing up. Every little helps, especially these days. The sales also help with image ranking in searches (I'm assuming).

I too have had some very good ($$$) distro sales. They are few and far between, but still...

• Love 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Every little helps, especially these days.

I remain signed up to everything for that reason. Anything greater than zero adds to the pot one way or the other. I have a couple of athletes that frequently sell via distros in Scandinavian countries for not a lot each time, but it accumulates over time to reasonable totals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

I’m opted out of distro but after reading this thread I’m reconsidering.  Hmmmmm...

That's my view really. Better to see things being bought even if not for a huge amount. Overall it is good for morale to see sales popping in

But then again there are the occasional horrors of tiny fees, and most Alamy distro sales don't leave much after the commission cut. Even so much better than fees elsewhere which can sometimes be $00.01 - those really do curdle the custard.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I’m opted out of distro but after reading this thread I’m reconsidering.  Hmmmmm...

Don't forget that if, like me, you're opted out of PU, you're also opted out of most distributors. My distro sales have dried up since I opted out of PU. I just couldn't stomach PU mis-uses. Before anyone asks, I did catch a few and Alamy did chase. I once got a $200 'correction' fee. Use was a CD cover.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

My sales for 2020 were the same as 2019. To my mind this is an indicator that Alamy know how to sell pictures. Distribution is part of their game plan. It makes sense to me to take advantage of what they have to offer.

A picture on Alamy is worth two on the hard drive.

Stay safe kids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

That's my view really. Better to see things being bought even if not for a huge amount. Overall it is good for morale to see sales popping in

Did a double take then, thought I had logged into an MS forum 

Edited by Martin L
grammar

22 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Did a double take then, thought I had logged into an MS forum 

Nope, don't do MS. Or not intentionally until Getty started flogging pics for pennies. I no longer supply them.

But certainly you are correct -  that is what appeals to many contributors here and at MS - validation that their images are wanted by somebody and that they are actual stock photographers. We all like that feeling. I often call it 'pyschological income' - have a look at the Alamy income figures and you'll see that most here are not making much money, it is more abut enjoyment. 

All I am saying is that logging into Alamy and seeing a steady flow of sales provides some motivation even if once you look the amount of money isn't great.  Spirits can flag after a while without sales and seeing a few new ones pop in does help with motivation. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

But then again there are the occasional horrors of tiny fees, and most Alamy distro sales don't leave much after the commission cut. Even so much better than fees elsewhere which can sometimes be $00.01 - those really do curdle the custard.

Before I opted out of Distro I received some insulting fees - just over a dollar gross etc, but then anything's better than nothing, right?

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

Don't forget that if, like me, you're opted out of PU, you're also opted out of most distributors. My distro sales have dried up since I opted out of PU. I just couldn't stomach PU mis-uses. Before anyone asks, I did catch a few and Alamy did chase. I once got a $200 'correction' fee. Use was a CD cover.

I'm opted out of PU, too. PU is simply a way for companies to take the pi$$, in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Before I opted out of Distro I received some insulting fees - just over a dollar gross etc, but then anything's better than nothing, right?

I'm opted out of PU, too. PU is simply a way for companies to take the pi$$, in my humble opinion.

I'm opted in to PU and am generally happy with how it is going. I came across old Grand Prix slides not long ago and one day somebody ( obviously a motor racing enthusiast) in USA bought 8 of them at $19.99 each gross.

For me a PU sale is much more acceptable than the UK tabloids getting pics for national newspapers for the price to me of a pint or less - but I'm opted into that also! 😁 I've joined all the Alamy schemes.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I'm opted in to PU and am generally happy with how it is going. I came across old Grand Prix slides not long ago and one day somebody ( obviously a motor racing enthusiast) in USA bought 8 of them at $19.99 each gross.

For me a PU sale is much more acceptable than the UK tabloids getting pics for national newspapers for the price to me of a pint or less - but I'm opted into that also! 😁 I've joined all the Alamy schemes.

OK, now you've really got me thinking - grrrrrrrr.