Your 2021 predictions

To say that 2020 has been a difficult year would be an understatement to say the least. However, things held up well on Alamy, better than I expected anyway. What are your 2021 stock photo predictions? Here are a few from me. Actually, they are more like hunches because I don't really have much to back them up with. I had Alamy in mind for the most part.

1. As  COVID-19 vaccines roll out and a glimmer of light appears at the end of the pandemic tunnel, sales volume will gradually increase.

2. Image prices will remain low but will stabilize at current levels.

3. Three-figure sales shall become even more rare -- i.e. high $$ will unofficially become the new low $$$.

4. There will be increasing migration from microstock agencies to Alamy (and elsewhere) as contributors realize what an exploitative and unsustainable business model microstock has become.

5. (your turn)

P.S. I realize that these aren't very original. No doubt there are more insightful predictions out there. Looking forward to hearing them.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

-Alamy/PA will make a push in other markets by 2nd quarter.

-Our price will be lower, mainly due to more bundling attempts to increase stickiness of customers.  If effective balanced with increase in licensing

-Increase in refunds in next 6-12 months as sadly economic impact on customers will be lasting.

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

-Alamy/PA will make a push in other markets by 2nd quarter.

-Our price will be lower, mainly due to more bundling attempts to increase stickiness of customers.  If effective balanced with increase in licensing

-Increase in refunds in next 6-12 months as sadly economic impact on customers will be lasting.

Good ones. You're hired (not fired)!

They’ll continue to be glitches in the Alamy interface that will bug us. Pretty soon we’ll forget the time when everything ran smoothly unless Alamy hires better or extra IT help.

As time gets deeper into 2021, we’ll see a bit of an uptick in the licensing of travel images. We’ll feel more comfortable getting out and about to photograph, but will still avoid most people. It’s become a habit, becoming entrenched.

I believe our subject matter to photograph has changed so much that we’ll have to make a studied effort to get back our mojo.

Alamy will change the size offers of PU., but I’m not sure if we’ll like it. If they give downloads of full size at the previous prices, but sell the smaller sizes for a pittance, we may be disgruntled.

• Love 3

Like John I expected the worst from 2020, but have been pleasantly surprised as, in my experience, sales have held up, and the rate of price decline eased.

Have seen a marked increase in the number of PU licences recently, maybe that will continue?

No real idea what 2021 will bring, but for something that I do have control over, I will be planting my winter cabbages earlier than this year, have to learn from the many mistakes...

• Love 1

Predictions say more about the predictor than anything else.   Either, I'll get my residency renewed or the Nicaraguans will say no.  I turned in my paperwork before my residency card expired.   They're pissed that so many of us weren't where we said we were living when they did a survey a couple of months ago and decided we needed to report in every six months in the future.  I have no idea what the future will bring.

6. Everyone in the next Alamy video will be wearing a rented suit and tie.

7. The meaning of "Discoverability" will remain undiscoverable.

8. Five out of ten new contributors will not understand what 17MB minimum file size means.

9. Those who lost their five-star QC ratings this year will not regain them in 2021.

10. Mr. Greenberg will not be coming back this way.

This completes my Top Ten for '21. 😎

Edited by John Mitchell

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

That doesn't sound good, MizBrown. Most of the troubles I've had in my wandering these past two years has had to do with government bureaucracies.  

Mheh, I haven't found the Nicaraguan bureaucracies problematic.   The Old Expat advice on how to deal with Nicaraguans has been close to 100% problematic, and over 50% utter nonsense.   The Nicaraguans asked us to update our cedulas (residency cards) when we move to a new house or apartment.   Many of us didn't do that.   I didn't do that.  What caught us was the nation-wide survey of all foreign residents during the pandemic.   My ex-landlord came by to tell me that the cops and Migracion official said I was in trouble.   I got him to drive me to Managua where we explained things, and Migracion got copies of my old and new passport and I signed a letter saying where I was now living.    Then went back in November to submit residency renewal paperwork.    Migracion and other government agencies take an extended vacation over Christmas and New Year.   They should all be back  by 10 January.    My guess is that either they put themselves and us through the hassle of six month renewals to keep us honest about where we're living, or they figure out that $500 up front for five years may be better for everyone concerned, with a check in periodically at the local police station to verify where we're living.

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Not good at predictions.  I would have thought that this year would have been worse...as others have said too.  I just hope that 2021 will be better on many levels.

We can't all be Nostradamuses. I'm certainly not. That said, I feel confident predicting that you'll continue to do well in 2021, Michael.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

We can't all be Nostradamuses. I'm certainly not. That said, I feel confident predicting that you'll continue to do well in 2021, Michael.

Thanks John, you are more confident than I am.  Keeping my head above water is a win for me.

• Love 3

10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

We can't all be Nostradamuses.

I've often wondered what the plural of 'Nostradamus' might be. 😎

Predictions for 2021? Well, my sales didn't fall off a cliff in 2020 - as I expected - and I'm hoping that Alamy/PA will open up new markets for our pix.

On 28/12/2020 at 18:27, John Mitchell said:

4. There will be increasing migration from microstock agencies to Alamy (and elsewhere) as contributors realize what an exploitative and unsustainable business model microstock has become.

It would be nice if this came true and might help stop the prices freefalling. However that is probably a pipe dream and what will be the real turning point is when the supply of contributors eases up to match the demand. Given that many people are more than happy to sell their images for 25 cents a pop I suspect we are a long way off the point of equilibrium yet unfortunately.