October Challenge: ORANGE

Sybille Reuter

Orange poppy field at Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve during 2019 Superbloom, California.
orange-poppies-eschscholzia-californica-yellow-goldenfields-lasthenia-californicasuper-bloom-antelope-valley-poppy-reserve-california-usa-T4P786.jpg

Orange poppy field at Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve during 2019 Superbloom, California.
orange-poppies-eschscholzia-californica-yellow-goldenfields-lasthenia-californicasuper-bloom-antelope-valley-poppy-reserve-california-usa-T4XMBH.jpg

September 9, 2020. San Francisco Bay Area orange sky due to wildfire smoke.
september-9-2020-traffic-on-highway-80-during-freak-afternoon-orange-sky-from-toxic-smoke-of-wildfires-port-of-oakland-cranes-in-the-background-2CGEHFT.jpg

Edited by The Blinking Eye
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

It looks like Alamy squashed and reshaped my photos when I dragged them over. How do I avoid this.

I'm guessing you drag and dropped you're images.

There are 2 ways to remedy this.

The simple way is now to double click on your image and check the box that says Keep original aspect ratio, which is underneath the size.

The other way is to drop and drag your images from another place: when you go to the zoom page of an image and click on the image, it normally opens a preview and when you click on that, it offers you to download it. But when you click on it holding the shift key and right click on the image (in both cases) the normal context menu will appear and one of the options, usually the first, will be view this image. When you click on that, the image opens in it's own page and you can drag and drop from there and it will not be distorted.

In the edit box here on the forum, you can check that: have you ever wondered what that small magnifying glass in the left hand corner between Size and GIF does? Well it's not search as you would expect, it's a preview in 3 sizes: desktop tablet and phone.

Before you change anything, use those on your post: the images are squashed in the smaller sizes.

Now check those check boxes for Keep original aspect and go to this preview again.

There's at least a third option and that's using the link from the address line of your browser and insert that. Or even a fourth option: use a different line from you address line, change a location, and use that.

More ways to skin a  🙀

As Tom Lehrer said: it's so simple 😁

wim

Edited by wiskerke
typo

Oh my goodness, Wim. My head is spinning. I am using Safari on a Mac and my method is to enlarge the image in the image manager and right-click to copy the URL. The images are smaller but I can make them bigger (and squashed) by changing zooms to comp (or the other way around) in the URL The vertical images don't get squashed so I usually do change the URL for them.

Paulette

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Oh my goodness, Wim. My head is spinning. I am using Safari on a Mac and my method is to enlarge the image in the image manager and right-click to copy the URL. The images are smaller but I can make them bigger (and squashed) by changing zooms to comp (or the other way around) in the URL The vertical images don't get squashed so I usually do change the URL for them.

Paulette

Now you know you can also use that checkbox.

If your images are showing up, that's the easiest way.

You can use that preview to see if you need it.

Or make your browser smaller or open it on your phone; tablet; your watch... 😂

wim

edit: when checked in the preview, your method is absolutely fine. I see no reason your horizontal images would be squashed.

Edited by wiskerke

Maybe to explain the squashing a bit more: this is a problem with dragging and dropping an image from the zoom page, which was introduced when right clicking was disabled on that page and on the pop-up zoom. I could probably find out why this is, but I'm too lazy and there's an easy remedy with that check box Keep original aspect ratio. Only: you have to know, that for that you have double click the image in your post. Not many will ever do that. Or even know it exists. Plus that it can be used for this, not just to resize your image as it says it does. But that it also works on the automatic resizing the forum code does.

AFAIK this squashing problem does not exist when using the URL of the image.

wim

On 10/10/2020 at 05:34, Allan Bell said:

Hi Pierre, I'm only joking here so do not take it seriously.

Looks like a serious bit of "Keystoning"🙂

Allan

I am intrigued, could you let me know what and where that building is please. Don't worry I have found it.

Me Again.

interesting when you see a major building that was 2 minutes walk from your school, that it could be unknown white elephant for others....  

3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

interesting when you see a major building that was 2 minutes walk from your school, that it could be unknown white elephant for others....  

You wouldn't get me up there. Looks like a puff of wind would blow it over.😔

Allan

2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

You wouldn't get me up there. Looks like a puff of wind would blow it over.😔

Allan

it has, and one of the beam has collapsed, and many other things have gone wrong with the money pit.

it should be leveled off, but it seems that's not possible since the subway line just passes under (the 76 olympics were used as excuse to extend the line).  One of the best "proposal" was from a satirical political party to fill it with dirt, and make it the world's biggest flower pot. 

On 12/10/2020 at 15:40, Colin Woods said:

Wow, Sybille hit the motherlode with Orange. I can see ten finalists already and its only the 12th October. I'm glad its not me that has to narrow them down to 8 photos.

Sometime you have a worthwhile entry... other subjects you don't! I guess Orange is suitably generic for a lot of us to have something worth entering!

Edited by Matt Ashmore

On 13/10/2020 at 04:51, The Blinking Eye said:

It looks like Alamy squashed and reshaped my photos when I dragged them over. How do I avoid this.

I think you've gotten the answer already but just in case here's how I do it (also on a Mac and Safari):

I find the images I want to use in the normal image browser, then go into the details to see the image and drag the image up into the browser tabs so that it opens a new tab with that image only. Then I right click/two finger click on the image and copy the URL. That URL I use in my post via "Insert image from URL". Might not be the smartest way but it works for me. 🙂