October Challenge: ORANGE

Sybille Reuter

Here we go, first time I get to pick a topic after shamefully taking advantage of people's misery with the photo of chernobyl gas masks in Colin's heartbreak-induced September challenge. 

But now for something completely different! 

I went for a colour theme again - autumnal and underrated, cheerful with a potential for gloomy:

ORANGE

Looking forward to what you make of the topic - with anything from autumn forests to pumpkins, sunrises to sunsets, tangerines to tigers, the orange menace to Jason Orange, from Orange County to Orange, France... 

orange-yarn-ball-on-an-orange-dotted-bac

Orange is red brought nearer to humanity by yellow.     

Wassily Kandinsky

As usual, entries (up to three) will be accepted until the last day of the month, then I'll pick the shortlist for the public vote. 

Post away! 

Edited by Sybille Reuter
  • Love 1

I thought I'd come up dry, but remarkably I have 110 search hits for "orange".

Spritz Aperol, Strasbourg. On a raft.

2ABRY0A.jpg

Kos town

E3K3PB.jpg

Ford Taunus 17M P3 'Badewanne' ('Bathtub') saloon car, 1961-4, with statues of Tünnes and Schäl, Stadtmuseum, Köln

EMCK42.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

Congrats Sybille on your win! I too was surprised how many photos I have with "orange" in the keywords. Here are my three:

Orange Line MBTA trains in Boston

T19NW6.jpg

Orange gourds

R8CBRK.jpg

Orange tabby in Stralsund, Germany

M9GJ52.jpg

• Love 2

Three from me

Detail in a dazzling red and gold maple leaf Stock Photo

Autumn maple leaf colours

Sunset and the fishing nets at Kochin in south India Stock Photo

The famous fishing nets at Cochin in India

Inside the Thirumalai Nayaka Palace in Madurai, South India Stock Photo

Two Indian ladies walking in the magical Royal Palace at Madurai in India

Edited by Colin Woods
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, meanderingemu said:

curious, did everyone find their images using "Orange" as a search?  Wondering because i think i am weak in using colours in my descriptions and KW.

As always AoA is your friend. Check if it's really useful to include colors/colours in your keywords.

21 pages @100 including many Clockwork Oranges and some Orange County and Orange is the New Black obviously.

Hmm maybe I should better check some more too.

wim

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

As always AoA is your friend. Check if it's really useful to include colors/colours in your keywords.

21 pages @100 including many Clockwork Oranges and some Orange County and Orange is the New Black obviously.

Hmm maybe I should better check some more too.

wim

interesting, as for example i would not have had "orange" anywhere in your pumpkin image,  but yes obviously with the "orange" guy

44 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

curious, did everyone find their images using "Orange" as a search?  Wondering because i think i am weak in using colours in my descriptions and KW.

In my case, yes.  If I have a dominant color in my photo, I will put it in my keywords.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

Yes.

If it's a feature of the image it should be in. Orange car, orange drink, orange ice cream.

I've noticed I hadn't put orange in some of my sunset photos.

When I did a search for 'orange' I had 180 images come up.

I'm reluctant to put orange in some images in case I get too many searches looking for an Orange!

If the colour is dominant I usually put that in, whatever the colour is.

John.

• Like 1

Great winning image Sybille, here are my three:

1. Orange tulips in close-up:

1. orange-tulips-in-flower-BJ62MH.jpg

2. Orange vintage american car, Havana, Cuba:

front-of-classic-old-american-vintage-car-havana-cuba-caribbean-DKCBNW.jpg

3. One orange Cichlid fish among darker Cichlids:

a-bright-orange-cichlid-fish-amongst-darker-colored-fish-concept-of-DXRX56.jpg

Kumar

• Love 1

Orange is a category I can definitely do.

White mute swan Cygnus olor preening feathers close up head and neck -  bird anatidae preen clean maintenance pretty beautify Stock Photo

Mute swan preening and making herself beautiful. Their beaks turn bright orange at maturity, approx 2 years in, so you can tell a younger swan because the beak is a more pale pink.

Sunset over Rivington Pike Tower, taken from Winter Hill, West Pennine Moors Lancashire England UK Stock Photo

Sunset over Rivington Pike Tower, Lancashire

Low Pressure Sodium street lights on an English motorway. Stock Photo

An almost totally intact row of 180W SOX lamps on the UK M60 motorway around Bredbury. These are now a dying breed on the UK's roads as the last SOX factory, Philips, 

in Hamilton, Scotland recently closed, so lamps are in rapidly dwindling supply. They produce monochromatic light at 589nm and are extremely efficient - 200 lumens/Watt on the large E designated lamps. The bad news? They're huge, so the fittings are huge unwieldy monsters.

Edited by Cal
  • Love 1

Male & female orange clownfish, tending orange eggs laid next to their orange based anemone.
pair-of-clown-anemonefish-amphiprion-percula-tending-eggs-laid-at-base-of-the-host-magnificent-anemone-heteractis-magnifica-tulamben-bali-PC3T3R.jpg

Orange Mantis Shrimp, face and chest peering out of burrow.

orange-mantis-shrimp-also-known-as-golden-mantis-shrimp-lysiosquilloides-FWC5CM.jpg

Juvenile Frogfish

a-bright-orange-juvenile-painted-frogfish-antennarius-pictus-CEDG7K.jpg

Edited by cbimages
  • Love 6

Large model of Fokker Dr.I triplane with builder

large-model-of-fokker-dri-triplane-with-builder-at-wings-and-wheels-P81K8Y.jpg

Sunset over Arun Valley

sunset-over-arun-valley-CB3M1N.jpg

Veteran 1942 Allis Chalmers type B tractor

veteran-1942-allis-chalmers-type-b-tractor-at-show-ground-for-stow-E6DHH9.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

In my case, yes.  If I have a dominant color in my photo, I will put it in my keywords.

21 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Yes.

If it's a feature of the image it should be in. Orange car, orange drink, orange ice cream.

thanks, i guess i only do it when it's not obvious from the subject, or peculiar.    I have done "Orange Car", but would not have had Orange on a pumpkin image, and I realise this is a North American mistake as for many other places pumpkin would also include squashes,

so i'll pick better example, i have "Yellow rose" but not "Yellow sunflower".  So another project for when it gets cold

1 minute ago, meanderingemu said:

thanks, i guess i only do it when it's not obvious from the subject, or peculiar.    I have done "Orange Car", but would not have had Orange on a pumpkin image, and I realise this is a North American mistake as for many other places pumpkin would also include squashes,

so i'll pick better example, i have "Yellow rose" but not "Yellow sunflower".  So another project for when it gets cold

In my example about a quarter of the picture area is orange so it's a must! I have other images of Halloween displays with incidental orange squashes and haven't included it.

Cars, however- I think I've had a licence of a Rolls-Royce that was found because it was tagged as silver.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

In my example about a quarter of the picture area is orange so it's a must! I have other images of Halloween displays with incidental orange squashes and haven't included it.

Cars, however- I think I've had a licence of a Rolls-Royce that was found because it was tagged as silver.

thanks.  Yes car is an obvious for me also, it's more the desert, street light and sunset images that i haven't done, mainly from a false positive side.  I remember having a picture with mainly Blue sky and a train in horizon.  All i got were hits for "Blue Train".