October Challenge: ORANGE

Sybille Reuter

3 from me.  All taken in my small garden:

Female large rose sawfly, Arge pagana, on the twig of a rose bush in a UK garden

female-large-rose-sawfly-arge-pagana-on-the-twig-of-a-rose-bush-in-a-uk-garden-2C0A1TR.jpg

Abutilon 'Patrick Synge' in ny garden in Plymouth, UK

abutilon-patrick-synge-in-a-private-garden-in-plymouth-uk-DRGR3N.jpg

Foliage of Phormium 'Evening Glow' shot against the setting sun to show the colour banding of the leaf

foliage-of-phormium-evening-glow-shot-against-the-setting-sun-to-show-E2455F.jpg

• Love 3

Four pages of Oranges!

That is a popular topic, good choice, well done.

Here come my three:

First an orange truck in Australia:

a-kenworth-road-train-truck-parked-on-th

Then, taking pictures of an orange moth with a mobile phone:

taking-photograph-of-a-dysphania-fenestr

And to finish an Orange Train in Osaka Japan:

an-ealderly-man-on-a-push-bike-wait-at-a

• Love 1

On 13/10/2020 at 04:25, wiskerke said:

I'm guessing you drag and dropped you're images.

There are 2 ways to remedy this.

The simple way is now to double click on your image and check the box that says Keep original aspect ratio, which is underneath the size.

The other way is to drop and drag your images from another place: when you go to the zoom page of an image and click on the image, it normally opens a preview and when you click on that, it offers you to download it. But when you click on it holding the shift key and right click on the image (in both cases) the normal context menu will appear and one of the options, usually the first, will be view this image. When you click on that, the image opens in it's own page and you can drag and drop from there and it will not be distorted.

In the edit box here on the forum, you can check that: have you ever wondered what that small magnifying glass in the left hand corner between Size and GIF does? Well it's not search as you would expect, it's a preview in 3 sizes: desktop tablet and phone.

Before you change anything, use those on your post: the images are squashed in the smaller sizes.

Now check those check boxes for Keep original aspect and go to this preview again.

There's at least a third option and that's using the link from the address line of your browser and insert that. Or even a fourth option: use a different line from you address line, change a location, and use that.

More ways to skin a  🙀

As Tom Lehrer said: it's so simple 😁

wim

Yes, I was dragging and dropping.

Why is this not easy? The "simple way" in your note doesn't work for me. I see no check box.

I did the shift/right click method and then I dragged it from there (to post on the October favorites uploads thread) which brought over a huge image and they all look squashed and ghastly on my cell phone.

I tried clicking on the magnifying glass and the desktop version looks fine, the tablet and the phone versions look ghastly.

I see no boxes anywhere that say "Keep original aspect"

So everything you say is flying over my head.

On 13/10/2020 at 04:45, NYCat said:

Oh my goodness, Wim. My head is spinning. I am using Safari on a Mac and my method is to enlarge the image in the image manager and right-click to copy the URL. The images are smaller but I can make them bigger (and squashed) by changing zooms to comp (or the other way around) in the URL The vertical images don't get squashed so I usually do change the URL for them.

Paulette

I understand almost none of this. It's like you are speaking a foreign language. (except for Safari and Mac, I use Firefox on a Mac). What is the "image manager"? You mean the Alamy Image Manager?

Edited by The Blinking Eye

On 14/10/2020 at 00:27, LarsMadsen said:

I think you've gotten the answer already but just in case here's how I do it (also on a Mac and Safari):

I find the images I want to use in the normal image browser, then go into the details to see the image and drag the image up into the browser tabs so that it opens a new tab with that image only. Then I right click/two finger click on the image and copy the URL. That URL I use in my post via "Insert image from URL". Might not be the smartest way but it works for me. 🙂

THANK YOU. That worked. Other methods did not work. I will do this from now on. That was a real brain strain. 🤪

I have mentioned this elsewhere before since Safari stopped me from dragging and dropping.

I now use Firefox, which does allow D&D, but only for this purpose. For everything else I prefer Safari.

Allan

3 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

I understand almost none of this. It's like you are speaking a foreign language. (except for Safari and Mac, I use Firefox on a Mac). What is the "image manager"? You mean the Alamy Image Manager?

Yes. When the image is enlarged in the Alamy Image Manager (click on the + sign) you can right-click and get the little menu that allows copying of the URL. It's probably the same menu that Lars sees in his method. I do use Safari but I'm sure it works the same way in Firefox.

Paulette

5 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Yes, I was dragging and dropping.

Why is this not easy? The "simple way" in your note doesn't work for me. I see no check box.

I did the shift/right click method and then I dragged it from there (to post on the October favorites uploads thread) which brought over a huge image and they all look squashed and ghastly on my cell phone.

I tried clicking on the magnifying glass and the desktop version looks fine, the tablet and the phone versions look ghastly.

I see no boxes anywhere that say "Keep original aspect"

So everything you say is flying over my head.

Did you double click on your image after you saw it was squashed? That's where the little check box is. As I said, not many people are aware it's there.

You do have to turn back to the editor box first, because as long as that magnifying glass is active, there's nothing you can do, which is annoying, but that's the way it is. This has probably been done so that it looks and works the same in all browsers on all platforms.

Does anybody know where the help function of this forum app is? I seem to remember there has been one.

wim

Don't worry everyone I saw the unghastly versions of everything (although I thought the elongated wildfire sky looked very impressive!) 

Just to add more confusion or maybe help for those who can't copy the url from the website (i.e. not in your image manager and then change zooms to comp - in case you want the url of someone else's image @NYCat) : my rather eccentric workflow is to copy the image url straight out of the html 🤷‍♀️   

Edited by Sybille Reuter

28 minutes ago, Sybille Reuter said:

Don't worry everyone I saw the unghastly versions of everything (although I thought the elongated wildfire sky looked very impressive!) 

Just to add more confusion or maybe help for those who can't copy the url from the website (i.e. not in your image manager and then change zooms to comp - in case you want the url of someone else's image @NYCat) : my rather eccentric workflow is to copy the image url straight out of the html 🤷‍♀️   

I'm not understanding this. So if I go to one of your images.... what next? What am I copying? From where?

Paulette

You'd have to open the html of the alamy page of the image, and how you open it depends on your browser (something like "view source code" in your options. I'm in Chrome on Android now and would put a view-source before the url.)

Example with my first post image:

view-source:https://www.alamy.com/orange-yarn-ball-on-an-orange-dotted-background-image348482957.html

The url that you can use to "insert image from url" is spelled out in the code you find there, usually a little scroll (it tends to start with c7 or c8, that's the server name). Edit: You can simply search for pop-img on the html page, that's where the link is.

Argh I knew it would cause more confusion! (want more? You can build the correct url from the origin url + image ID, but I don't want to copy around so much... So I usually just steal from the source). 

Edited by Sybille Reuter

Edit: Really sorry if this was too confusing. Here's the simple recipe to make the image url out of the website image url, without looking it up:

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/ + image id + / + text from your url until "image", but including the last "-" + image id +.jpg

Say the website url is

https://www.alamy.com/orange-yarn-ball-on-an-orange-dotted-background-image348482957.html (and then a lot of arguments that are none of our business). 

And the image id is

2B6XNFW

Then a safe bet is to use

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/2B6XNFW/orange-yarn-ball-on-an-orange-dotted-background-2B6XNFW.jpg

Edited by Sybille Reuter

I Use the X to enlarge and copy my image in Image Manager after doing a search In IM. On my iPad. Then go to the text box in a thread and choose “insert image from url”.The bottom of two choices. Thanks to, I believe Cecile Marion, for advising me how to do it sometime back. The images are never distorted, not oversized, but of a decent viewing size.

Edited by Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, Sybille Reuter said:

Sorry :( best to stick with your method then. Maybe the forum admins will eventually make insert from url possible with the url we actually see... 

And if you see that your images are being squashed, just check that box Keep original aspect ratio.

To see the checkbox: double click the image after you have inserted it here.

This also works for thumbnails that have been dragged and dropped:

CN4GWD

box not ticked.

CN4GWD

box checked.

wim

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sybille Reuter said:

Edit: Really sorry if this was too confusing. Here's the simple recipe to make the image url out of the website image url, without looking it up:

Then a safe bet is to use

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/2B6XNFW/orange-yarn-ball-on-an-orange-dotted-background-2B6XNFW.jpg

OK. That seems to be reasonable. Thank you.

Paulette

56 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I Use the X to enlarge and copy my image in Image Manager after doing a search In IM. On my iPad. Then go to the text box in a thread and choose “insert image from url”.The bottom of two choices. Thanks to, I believe Cecile Marion, for advising me how to do it sometime back. The images are never distorted, not oversized, but of a decent viewing size.

While it solves the issue of unghastlyness it has the downside of you only being able to link to your own images, that's why I suggested just grabbing the url from the public page (it's just what I did automatically when I couldn't find a way to access the url from mobile). But I guess it might be too much of a hassle when you're not used to it (and only link your own images anyway).

But it should be a little more intuitive to link to the correct url of an image really... I would never have even thought of finding it from IM! Someone mentioned a help corner here... Maybe we can make a wish? Just for the insert to accept the url of the regular purchase page? 

But anyway - back to oranges ☺️

12 minutes ago, NYCat said:

OK. That seems to be reasonable. Thank you.

Paulette

Oh cool! Yeah it's for last resort (or what the insert button should do for us 😁)... If you want to try getting the link from the source after all - I just checked, in safari apparently you have to enable viewing source first. 

So you'd follow this: https://www.macintoshhowto.com/advanced/how-to-view-page-source.html

Then just command f for "pop-img", and voilà the url, and you should be able to click it too. 

But now really: 🐯🐹🍊🎃🍁

Nope. Tried it. I do have the Develop on my menu and could get the page source but it was totally mysterious to me and command f didn't show me anything I could see. Thanks anyway. Probably I would just have to use Firefox if I had to show someone else's image. 

Paulette