Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

Wow that's scary. Mind there are some convoluted large multi lane roundabouts in the UK where it's not clear to a newcomer which lane you should be in. There are different rules in Europe. I've read that it is illegal to signal while driving around a roundabout in Germany, you should only signal when leaving. It's a law that could be  usefully employed elsewhere.

I fairly regularly drive around Hemel Hempstead's 'magic roundabout'. The main roundabout also has 6 mini roundabouts, 1 at each junction and 2 way traffic. The different routes around it are very natural and it moves traffic very efficiently.

• Love 1

On 19/03/2023 at 09:11, sb photos said:

I fairly regularly drive around Hemel Hempstead's 'magic roundabout'. The main roundabout also has 6 mini roundabouts, 1 at each junction and 2 way traffic. The different routes around it are very natural and it moves traffic very efficiently.

In Hull there is or was a roundabout which has/had a main road which cut straight through the centre of it.

Allan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

In Hull there is or was a roundabout which has/had a main road which cut straight through the centre of it.

Allan

The Headington roundabout on the Oxford ring road sounds similar. Before the roundabout was redesigned some years back it was hell at times. I  remember endless queuing along the A40 from Wheatley. Much better now with the road running through its centre.

Edited by sb photos

The Swindon Magic Roundabout (quietly?) turned 50 last year.

I have visited and photographed it twice. First time in '78 or '79 when cycling back from Bristol to Harwich.

From a BBC article when it turned 40 : the roundabout was voted the seventh most feared road junction in the country.

And:  Roundabouts of Great Britain members organise trips to Swindon to visit the junction, and the society produces Magic Roundabout memorabilia such as calendars and key-rings which sell all over the world.

Wired thinks it was over 60 years old in 2016 but has a nice video.

wim

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nigel Kirby said:

Thanks for that reminder. I see there has/are a lot of roadworks been/being done in Hull. Mt daughter lives and works in Hull and I visit from time to time.

The roundabout I was thinking of was from when I was living/working there back in the 70's/80's.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

I was supposed to get delivery of two new cats last night but I was stood up with no explanation. I don't think there was any malice in what happened but some people are not to be trusted. This was a sad story on the NextDoor app about two cats that had to move because a little girl had asthma and was getting hives. I suspect another adopter who was more convenient is getting the cats but I am owed an apology. I don't expect to get it and I am older (not again) and wiser. When I feel really ready for more cats I will go to a good shelter where I can pick them out and where they can be returned if they don't work out.

Paulette

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

I was supposed to get delivery of two new cats last night but I was stood up with no explanation. I don't think there was any malice in what happened but some people are not to be trusted. This was a sad story on the NextDoor app about two cats that had to move because a little girl had asthma and was getting hives. I suspect another adopter who was more convenient is getting the cats but I am owed an apology. I don't expect to get it and I am older (not again) and wiser. When I feel really ready for more cats I will go to a good shelter where I can pick them out and where they can be returned if they don't work out.

Paulette

That is frustrating but could be the best thing that happened in the long run.

Being a cat lover I am sure you know all about what I am going to say next.

Whether someone is looking for a kitten out of the pack or an older cat from a shelter they should always let the kitten/cat pick the person it wants to live with and not the other way round.

That is what we did when we went to pick a kitten for our daughter. The kitten picked her.

As Mark would say. I'll get me coat.

Allan

15 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

That is frustrating but could be the best thing that happened in the long run.

Being a cat lover I am sure you know all about what I am going to say next.

Whether someone is looking for a kitten out of the pack or an older cat from a shelter they should always let the kitten/cat pick the person it wants to live with and not the other way round.

That is what we did when we went to pick a kitten for our daughter. The kitten picked her.

As Mark would say. I'll get me coat.

Allan

It makes sense to me. Cats are cats. If I go to the shelter and a cat runs to me I will probably fall instantly in love. And the cat will see immediately that it has the upper hand. Just as it should be.

Paulette

• Love 1

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

It makes sense to me. Cats are cats. If I go to the shelter and a cat runs to me I will probably fall instantly in love. And the cat will see immediately that it has the upper hand. Just as it should be.

Paulette

In the years before parrots, I had parakeets. I’d go to the shop & stand before the large cage holding a couple of dozen of them. I’d watch behavior for half an hour, then put a finger through the bar & make soft whistles & clucking sounds with my lips close to the cage bars. Most all of the birds would run or fly to the other side of the cage. The one who came up to my finger to investigate, and whistle back to me went home with me, even if it wasn’t the prettiest color.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

In the years before parrots, I had parakeets. I’d go to the shop & stand before the large cage holding a couple of dozen of them. I’d watch behavior for half an hour, then put a finger through the bar & make soft whistles & clucking sounds with my lips close to the cage bars. Most all of the birds would run or fly to the other side of the cage. The one who came up to my finger to investigate, and whistle back to me went home with me, even if it wasn’t the prettiest color.

When I lived at home with my parents we used to breed rabbits then switched to breeding Budgerigars, a small version of Parakeet. I think you would have liked to see the aviary and breeding cages. We also had an outside aviary attached to the end of the main enclosed unit so the budgies could go outside when they wanted. They used to like rolling in the snow when it was on the ground.

We had just about all the colours and combinations of colour that existed at the time. Our main goal was to breed a "Pink" budgie and at one stage we got a white with just a small tint of pink in the feathers but could not get any further. Obviously we kept that bird.

Allan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

When I lived at home with my parents we used to breed rabbits then switched to breeding Budgerigars, a small version of Parakeet.

Allan

That brings back a memory. My grandfather had a budgie whom he had taught to say a few words. It was normally kept in a cage but allowed out into the sitting room. Grandad was my favourite person growing up. He would take me to his work during school holidays and on numerous local adventures. He also kindled my interest in gardening. He built  a big wooden framed greenhouse where he grew tomatoes, and had a large vegetable patch in his garden.  I recall some of his advice, "Muck is the gardener" and for cabbages "Plant them deep and drown them in".   Sadly I was living away when he died, so I didn't get to say a final goodbye. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My helper, Luis, has lost his infant son. who died sometime A.M. April 3rd..  Rh factors or something similar complicated the birth and the baby was a month premature. 

As difficult as some of our lives may be, some people have considerably more difficult lives.  This was a very much wanted baby.  Luis puts together a  living the best he can.   I'll be paying him bereavement leave.  Not sure what funeral and burial expenses Luis has covered.

• Thanks 1

On 26/03/2023 at 05:53, Bryan said:

That brings back a memory. My grandfather had a budgie whom he had taught to say a few words. It was normally kept in a cage but allowed out into the sitting room. Grandad was my favourite person growing up. He would take me to his work during school holidays and on numerous local adventures. He also kindled my interest in gardening. He built  a big wooden framed greenhouse where he grew tomatoes, and had a large vegetable patch in his garden.  I recall some of his advice, "Muck is the gardener" and for cabbages "Plant them deep and drown them in".   Sadly I was living away when he died, so I didn't get to say a final goodbye. 

A budgie escapee was on the Found notice board this week. I loved the description: has an extended vocabulary, keeps saying 'bl***y hell, it's hot!'.

• Love 3

2 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

My helper, Luis, has lost his infant son. who died sometime A.M. April 3rd..  Rh factors or something similar complicated the birth and the baby was a month premature. 

As difficult as some of our lives may be, some people have considerably more difficult lives.  This was a very much wanted baby.  Luis puts together a  living the best he can.   I'll be paying him bereavement leave.  Not sure what funeral and burial expenses Luis has covered.

That is so sad. My problems look very small and unimportant.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Very sorry for Luis and the mom!  Must be very tough for them.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Thoughts are with Luis and his family.  Take care. 🦔

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

So sorry to hear the bad news. 

• Thanks 1

Was photographing and animal rights protest in Warwickshire on Saturday, that went well. Later in the day I was looking nearby for accessible flooded roads adjacent to the River Avon. I found one stretch where based upon signs it likely regularly flooded, parked up and opened the boot to get my wellies out. My intention was to wade in to the flooded area and photograph cars as they tried their luck. My wellies weren't there, thought I had packed them. The nearby section of the road that had a sign saying if the road was flooded this would be the deepest point, it only gets more shallow from now on only had a few puddles. At least I didn't get wet feet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Every parent's nightmare. Good of you to support Luis at this time.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So this isn't all that bad but more of a story of frustration.  Amazon has been opening these grocery stores in my area where you don't have to go through a check-out (with a human), you just put things in your trolley and use a QR code on your smart phone and leave.  You get a receipt sent to you.  I've tried it twice and it works well.  Anyway, I have been hearing that Amazon backing off on their plans on this chain and closed one, near me, even before it opened.  So on Monday I drove by it and the weather closed in so I decided it wasn't worth stopping and taking some snaps (bad idea)....Yesterday the weather was bright and sunny so I thought I will go by there and get some shots...wouldn't you know, all the Amazon signage was removed from the building.  One of the big signs said, "Just Walk Out Shopping".   A day late and a dollar short (one dollar would have been about I would have made anyway).

Edited by Michael Ventura

• Alamy locked this topic