Jump to content

Post a bad thing that happened in your life today


Ed Rooney

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

a. oh man mate
b. but were you ???!

 😷STILL WEARING  😷A MASK 😷I AM

 

Obviously not as much as I should have. My bad.

 

I think a lot of us are living with a false sense of security now. King COVID is still on the march...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

 

Hope all goes well, John, and you just have a mild case.   For me, it was a rough two or three days and then just a nagging cough for a while.  The hardest part was staying home for quite a while.  See if your doctor can put you on Paxlovid, it really helps to knock down the symptoms quickly but you have to take it as soon as possible. 

 

Thanks, Michael. Energy level has certainly bottomed out today, and the coughing and hacking has set in. I'll look into Paxlovid.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Thanks, Michael. Energy level has certainly bottomed out today, and the coughing and hacking has set in. I'll look into Paxlovid.

 

 

 

Please do John, +1 what Michael said. Paxlovid eased the symptoms in one day for me but it has to be taken as soon as possible, in the first few days, to be effective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Well, the inevitable has come to pass. I tested positive for COVID-19 today. It doesn't surprise me as lately I've been spending a lot of time around a hospital ER (long story) where not all the clientele were wearing masks. Feeling pretty punko at the moment. However, my health is good and I'm fully jabbed. Hoping that I can vanquish King COVID sooner rather than later. 👑

Sorry to learn that John, hopefully you'll be back to normal in no time.

 

I got off very lightly, the worst symptoms appeared before I tested positive, but I guess we all react differently. Very few people are wearing masks in these parts now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the well-wishes and useful advice. Just goes to show what can happen when you get overconfident and let your guard down. It's a sneaky little virus. Be careful out there. 😰

 

 

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for all the well-wishes and useful advice. Just goes to show what can happen when you get overconfident and let your guard down. It's a sneaky little virus. Be careful out there. 😰

 

 


As I was originally advised by the NHS to self isolate (which I didn’t, I was just vey cautious and accessed all potential risks) and I avoided Covid until last August. However cautious you are e eventually the odds are you may catch it. Hope your Covid ends up as mine did, very mild, I had had worse colds, and I still had plenty of energy for long walks on deserted footpaths. I still wear ffp2 masks on trains and buses, or crowded stores, but not in the open. I still avoid crowded music venues. I was also fully vaccinated. Get well soon John. 

Edited by sb photos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The population infection survey has finished here, but the other stats are still being collected, and the number of reported cases is about a thousandth of the peak early last year.

On the most recent figures rather less than one person in a crowded Underground carriage or bus is likely to be infected.

I believe I got coronavirus in a theatre where everyone was wearing a mask. Some people, it seems, will be wearing masks for the rest of their lives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for all the well-wishes and useful advice. Just goes to show what can happen when you get overconfident and let your guard down. It's a sneaky little virus. Be careful out there. 😰

 

 

 

Just back from seeing my cardiologist at a big medical facility and was surprised to see a sign on the door saying that they lifted the mask requirement as of April 3rd 2023.  I would say that maybe 60 percent of the people inside were wearing a mask.  My doctor did not wear one....I did.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

 

Just back from seeing my cardiologist at a big medical facility and was surprised to see a sign on the door saying that they lifted the mask requirement as of April 3rd 2023.  I would say that maybe 60 percent of the people inside were wearing a mask.  My doctor did not wear one....I did.

 

I've noticed recently (it's OK, it's precautionary) that healthcare workers are tending to wear them still, but of course they get visited by dozens of people at close quarters in a working day, so they risk exposure far more than their patients........and they really need not to get coronavirus.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

 

Just back from seeing my cardiologist at a big medical facility and was surprised to see a sign on the door saying that they lifted the mask requirement as of April 3rd 2023.  I would say that maybe 60 percent of the people inside were wearing a mask.  My doctor did not wear one....I did.

 

 

The same thing has happened here in BC. Mask mandates for hospitals have been removed -- i.e. wearing a mask in hospitals in now optional. I think this was a really dumb move even if there is still a lot of controversy over how effective masks really are at preventing transmission of the virus. Masks obviously offer some level of protection.

 

 

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On Saturday next, King Charles III is supposed to get correlated or contributed or something. Do I, as an American and a semi-Irish person, have to show up somewhere and do something? Don't I have enough to deal with next week with Eurovision? I wish him well. I wish the nation well. But I don't want to get too involved.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

On Saturday next, King Charles III is supposed to get correlated or contributed or something. Do I, as an American and a semi-Irish person, have to show up somewhere and do something? Don't I have enough to deal with next week with Eurovision? I wish him well. I wish the nation well. But I don't want to get too involved.

 

If you have a TV, the Kentucky Derby is on the same day and takes less than five minutes in terms of the actual event.   I suspect London is already a zoo.   My retired nurse friend will have soon seen two coronations -- Elizabeth II and now Charles III.  First live, second on BBC International.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

 

  My retired nurse friend will have soon seen two coronations -- Elizabeth II and now Charles III.  First live, second on BBC International.

My wife is speculating as to whether or not she will live to see the coronation after this one. Could be a close thing, she's a bit younger than the current encumbent, but they both come from long lived families. As for me, on this occasion I'll find solace at my allotment until it's all over.

 

However, we've been invited to a coronation party in June organised by the National Trust site where we volunteer, with free food and entertainment on offer. It would be rude not to go !

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

My wife is speculating as to whether or not she will live to see the coronation after this one. Could be a close thing, she's a bit younger than the current encumbent, but they both come from long lived families. As for me, on this occasion I'll find solace at my allotment until it's all over.

 

However, we've been invited to a coronation party in June organised by the National Trust site where we volunteer, with free food and entertainment on offer. It would be rude not to go !

 

Joking aside, I wish the new King well. And I wish all my friends in this forum well too. 

  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

Joking aside, I wish the new King well. And I wish all my friends in this forum well too. 

 

We wish you well too Edo.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

Joking aside, I wish the new King well. And I wish all my friends in this forum well too. 

The coronation service starts at 11- you can watch it online on BBC/ITV if you have a TV licence, probably elsewhere if you haven't. I'll be looking in because there hasn't been one in my lifetime, so it seems like a good idea.

But it's far less significant than last time IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

The coronation service starts at 11- you can watch it online on BBC/ITV if you have a TV licence, probably elsewhere if you haven't. I'll be looking in because there hasn't been one in my lifetime, so it seems like a good idea.

But it's far less significant than last time IMO.

 

I saw Queen Elizabeth II's coronation on television. My parents had bought a "Pye Black Box" TV for the occasion. I was 7 years old.

 

Charles will be marking a milestone in being the 40th sovereign to be crowned in Westminster Abbey.

 

Due to his age I do not think he has long to reign over us.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Due to his age I do not think he has long to reign over us.

 

Allan

 

 

Both his parents were long lived. 

 

As a boy in Brooklyn, I was home ill from school and listened to Elizabeth II's coronation on the radio. Although I wonder why there is still a royalty, I held the late queen in high regard. 

 

ALERT

 

The events, the year, and my age tell me my memory of this is wrong. ??? Sorry. 🤔

 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/05/2023 at 13:27, John Mitchell said:

Energy level has certainly bottomed out today

johnny boy
by this time you are delirious delirious delirious
viruses are swimming up and down your body
tagging your organs keywording your tissues
you must expel the stock photography demons
do not go back to your darkroom past
chant with us johnny boy chant chant chant
"cameras tripods lenses"
"cameras tripods lenses" 
"cameras tripods lenses" 
transparencies and negatives compel you to confess
johnny boy tell us johnny boy you can tell us
tell us your STOCK PHOTOGRAPHY SINS JOHNNY
😈___ 😈___ 😈
do not go back into the darkroom,
confess con fess c o n f e s s...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I'm trying to figure out where that false memory came from. I know it's totally false because in June of 1953 I was staying with my sister at 881 Tenth Avenue and staying at the composer conductor Johnny Mandal's apartment on Broadway. He was playing trombone and doing scores for Count Basie all that month at Birdland. In the three weeks I was at his place, I never met him, never ran into him. (He wrote The Shadow of Your Smile and the music for M*A*S*H.) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

I saw Queen Elizabeth II's coronation on television. My parents had bought a "Pye Black Box" TV for the occasion. I was 7 years old.

 

Charles will be marking a milestone in being the 40th sovereign to be crowned in Westminster Abbey.

 

Due to his age I do not think he has long to reign over us.

 

Allan

 

 

I was only four in 1953 and living in the West Indies, where TV's were non-existent. Consequently, I missed the show. However, I do remember seeing the queen from a distance when she visited Canada in 1957 (I believe). Charles might be on the throne for longer than we think. The Royals have industrial strength genes, among other things. 🙃👑

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

Both his parents were long lived. 

 

As a boy in Brooklyn, I was home ill from school and listened to Elizabeth II's coronation on the radio. Although I wonder why there is still a royalty, I held the late queen in high regard. 

 

ALERT

 

The events, the year, and my age tell me my memory of this is wrong. ??? Sorry. 🤔

 

 

I think that even the monarchy wonders why there is still a monarchy.😁

 

The queen was always very complimentary of Canada, and she spent a lot of time here. Consequently, most Canadians (outside Quebec anyway) seem OK with the idea of there still being a British monarchy, even if they don't take it all too seriously. Charles will be our official head of state, but the role is only symbolic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

I was only four in 1953 and living in the West Indies, where TV's were non-existent. Consequently, I missed the show. However, I do remember seeing the queen from a distance when she visited Canada in 1957 (I believe). Charles might be on the throne for longer than we think. The Royals have industrial strength genes, among other things. 🙃👑

 

I was only 2 at the time of the coronation in 1953. We had just moved from Wood Green, London, to Aylesbury, a company house came with the move. I can remember running around an empty house looking into all the rooms and cupboards, then later sitting on the rear kitchen step watching a tractor ploughing what was to be our 100 ft garden before fencing was erected. Cars were no where near so common and it was a safe area to play. A knife sharpener used to pass by still using a horse and cart. No TV at that time. It wasn't until starting school at 5 before I was given a Kodak Brownie and then later used to develop and print films in my fathers darkroom. I still have the early 127 negatives and some small prints from a contact printing frame from before we had an enlarger. How times have changed. Queen Elizabeth visited my home town in 1962, the towns pavements were packed with onlookers. I watched from outside the Grange School as she paid it a visit..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/05/2023 at 18:30, Ed Rooney said:

 

On Saturday next, King Charles III is supposed to get correlated or contributed or something. Do I, as an American and a semi-Irish person, have to show up somewhere and do something? Don't I have enough to deal with next week with Eurovision? I wish him well. I wish the nation well. But I don't want to get too involved.

 

He became king at the very moment when his mother took her last breath, so today's "correlation" is just some very expensive icing on an even more expensive cake.

 

We are being invited to swear an oath of allegience – called the Homage of the People – during the ceremony. “I swear that I will pay true allegiance to your majesty,” we’re supposed to say, “and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.”  🤮

 

My plans for the day? To head down to the local wetlands and watch the avocets and spoonbills...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.