Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

The exams should be able to tell you what is wrong.   Walking in recuperation is good; running not so much.   If they diagnose problems with the coronal arteries, follow their recommendations.  

Edited by Rebecca Ore
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm not sure what a mini-heart attack is, Gen. I have 7 stens in my heart but I've not had a heart attack or stroke. Please take care of yourself.

I'm not sure either Edo, that's what the doctor called it. I remembered your stents. Thank you for your best wishes.

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

Sorry to hear that Gen, gan canny as they say in these parts. 

I had to Google that and it said 'means“Be careful”, and is often used when saying goodbye to someone.... Good grief Bryan buried me already I thought 😳😳 but then it continued ....'who is on their way home'. Phew!

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry that you have had a frightening experience.

Pleased to hear you took your hubbies advice and went to the doctor/hospital. Also pleased that they are still looking after you.

Take it easy for a while until it is all sorted out at least.

Hope there is only good news to come from the hospital investigations.

Allan

I blame hubby for having scared me one time too many with his driving and given me a heart attack 🤣🤣 

Thank you Allan.

13 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

Sorry to hear about your health problems, Gen. It must have been quite a shock. Hope everything goes well.

Thank you. I love your photos, they are such a strong reminder of my old stomping grounds. You did zillion times better than me at it!

Sorry to hear about your scary health issue, Gen. I hope everything works out well. It sounds as if you're getting very good care. Way back in my 50's, I foolishly neglected to visit my doctor for at least five years because I never had anything wrong with me. When I finally did go to see him at around 60, I discovered that I had developed dangerously high blood pressure (well under control now it seems) and that I had severe arthritis in my left hip (since replaced). I'm sure there are plenty of other cautionary tales like this out there... 😱

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Sorry to hear about your scary health issue, Gen. I hope everything works out well. It sounds as if you're getting very good care. Way back in my 50's, I foolishly neglected to visit my doctor for at least five years because I never had anything wrong with me. When I finally did go to see him at around 60, I discovered that I had developed dangerously high blood pressure (well under control now it seems) and that I had severe arthritis in my left hip (since replaced). I'm sure there are plenty of other cautionary tales like this out there... 😱

Thank you John. In my case, the reason for my reluctance to see a doctor in general is not based on denial or fear of bad news. My mother was a hypochondriac, going to the doctor for the most minor ailment, real or invented. I swore to myself I would never be like that. Added to that is my admiration for tough pioneers and tough, resilient persons in general. 

• Love 1

11 hours ago, gvallee said:

I've had a mini-heart attack, in the rainforest, on my own. So I'm told by doctors. I was leaning against a tree trunk, photographing birds when I felt I couldn't breathe. I soon was covered in sweat, feeling super dizzy and nearly passed out. The tree saved me from collapsing. Unaware of what was happening, after a while I crawled back to our campervan where I took it easy.

With a lot of persuasion (it takes a lot for me to see a doctor, I once  apologised to my GP when he checked his computer and said he hadn't seen me for 5 years!), hubby convinced me to see a GP. I was rushed to Emergencies and spent the rest of the day there in hospital, going through all kinds of tests. All wonderful, friendly, warm, smiling nurses and doctors full of energy. I was released full of holes and feeling like a walking fairy light with all the ECG contact pads still on. Further tests to come, including one harness monitoring my heart for 24 hours.

What a shock! I never expected something like that. This reinforced the views I always held: live life to the full, don't wait to do what makes you happy. And travel while you can if that's your thing.

That is scary. Do listen to the doctors and BE WELL.

Paulette

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, NYCat said:

That is scary. Do listen to the doctors and BE WELL.

Paulette

Thank you Paulette. I'm off soon to my GP again to get a referral for the remaining tests. I'm being a good girl 😀

• Love 4

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Thank you. I love your photos, they are such a strong reminder of my old stomping grounds. You did zillion times better than me at it!

Ah, thanks Gen. You're too kind.  I certainly can't match all your amazing wildlife photos.

• Love 1

14 hours ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Paulette. I'm off soon to my GP again to get a referral for the remaining tests. I'm being a good girl 😀

Sorry to hear the news and good that you are taking it seriously. From your initial description it sounds a little like atrial fibrillation. Symptoms of atrial fibrillation include heart palpitations, dizziness and shortness of breath. 

Edited by sb photos
  • Thanks 1

On 16/03/2023 at 10:41, gvallee said:

I've had a mini-heart attack, in the rainforest, on my own. So I'm told by doctors. I was leaning against a tree trunk, photographing birds when I felt I couldn't breathe. I soon was covered in sweat, feeling super dizzy and nearly passed out. The tree saved me from collapsing. Unaware of what was happening, after a while I crawled back to our campervan where I took it easy.

With a lot of persuasion (it takes a lot for me to see a doctor, I once  apologised to my GP when he checked his computer and said he hadn't seen me for 5 years!), hubby convinced me to see a GP. I was rushed to Emergencies and spent the rest of the day there in hospital, going through all kinds of tests. All wonderful, friendly, warm, smiling nurses and doctors full of energy. I was released full of holes and feeling like a walking fairy light with all the ECG contact pads still on. Further tests to come, including one harness monitoring my heart for 24 hours.

What a shock! I never expected something like that. This reinforced the views I always held: live life to the full, don't wait to do what makes you happy. And travel while you can if that's your thing.

Sorry to hear this, take care and take it easy Gen, Hugh

• Love 1

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

Sorry to hear the news and good that you are taking it seriously. From your initial description it sounds a little like atrial fibrillation. Symptoms of atrial fibrillation include heart palpitations, dizziness and shortness of breath. 

I read about what you suggested. It sounds a bit scary. At this stage, the episode I suffered is a little mysterious. Apart from the symptoms described, I never had palpitations or chest pains. Doctor said it's often the case for women having a heart attack. Depending on the results of the next tests, I might be referred to a cardiologist.

3 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Wow that sounds a very scary experience, I hope you make a full recovery🙏 Sending good wishes .....

Carol

Thank you Carol. I hope so too. I like going to remote places and sincerely hope I can continue.

• Love 1

22 hours ago, gvallee said:

Thank you John. In my case, the reason for my reluctance to see a doctor in general is not based on denial or fear of bad news. My mother was a hypochondriac, going to the doctor for the most minor ailment, real or invented. I swore to myself I would never be like that. Added to that is my admiration for tough pioneers and tough, resilient persons in general. 

So sorry you had an event, a health scare. Just remember to treat your body like you do your caravan. Maintenance prevents major problems most of the time. There are outliers, of course.

23 hours ago, gvallee said:

I blame hubby for having scared me one time too many with his driving and given me a heart attack 🤣🤣 

Thank you Allan.

So that's why you took over the driving! 😂 And of course, what you face every time you move camp is also part of the problem. If you have white knuckles from bad, scary roads, I guarantee it’s causing major stress, which affects the heart.

I know because if I’m watching my favorite American football team & it’s not going well, I have arrhythmia, dizziness & occasionally pain. A glass of wine helps or just walking away. I do take a heart med for arrhythmia it it doesn’t always prevent it.

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

So sorry you had an event, a health scare. Just remember to treat your body like you do your caravan. Maintenance prevents major problems most of the time. There are outliers, of course.

So that's why you took over the driving! 😂 And of course, what you face every time you move camp is also part of the problem. If you have white knuckles from bad, scary roads, I guarantee it’s causing major stress, which affects the heart.

I know because if I’m watching my favorite American football team & it’s not going well, I have arrhythmia, dizziness & occasionally pain. A glass of wine helps or just walking away. I do take a heart med for arrhythmia it it doesn’t always prevent it.

Bingo! While he's a much loved person by everybody, very funny and first class intellect, his skills do not lie with driving. When he's about to hit a vehicle at a roundabout, of course I scream. This startles him and makes him jump and I get shouted at!! So he's not allowed to drive in town or attempt any manoeuvre any more. I do these. Not that he denies his driving woes, I'm not bitching, he failed his truck driving license twice. I got it first time. He's my real soulmate, we're like two peas in a pod, very close.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

Bingo! While he's a much loved person by everybody, very funny and first class intellect, his skills do not lie with driving. When he's about to hit a vehicle at a roundabout, of course I scream. This startles him and makes him jump and I get shouted at!! So he's not allowed to drive in town or attempt any manoeuvre any more. I do these. Not that he denies his driving woes, I'm not bitching, he failed his truck driving license twice. I got it first time. He's my real soulmate, we're like two peas in a pod, very close.

My husband was a very good driver when he paid attention. I can’t count the times he gandered off to the side to see a horse, or whatever rather than watch the road. Then he’d steer the way he was looking.  Especially dangerous was when we were on vacation & he was seeing new countryside.  Coming down from Mt. St. Helens for instance, I gasped, squealed or whatever to keep us from plunging down the mountainside because he was fascinated with the volcano eruption damage…scorched earth. He’d jerk the wheel back, then snark at me for scaring him when I had just saved our lives. So I get it, Gen! 😆

I'm the one who didn’t get to see much because I was always the one watching the road. I never dared take a nap. That said, he could back the RV into tight spots, back boats down ramps & back a  trailer into a garage perfectly. Double park in tight spaces. While I’m an excellent driver, I can’t back worth a whit if spaces are narrow. I can parallel park if it’s not too tight, though. Never got a ticket..always use turn signals and drive fast, but not fast enough over the speed limit to get a citation.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

When he's about to hit a vehicle at a roundabout, of course I scream. 

Ah an opportunity to express my extreme displeasure at those  drivers who fail to signal properly when leaving a roundabout. It's simple enough, when driving on the left you are always turning left when leaving a roundabout, yet why do I see so many indicating right as they turn left, or failing to signal at all? It was particularly irritating when hauling our caravan when I would have to grind to a halt unnecessarily when entering the roundabout. It's noteworthy that most truck drivers do signal correctly, perhaps because they know the pain of accelerating a heavy load from rest.

As to reversing, I confess that I never properly mastered the art of backing the van using the mirrors, perhaps because I used to tow a dinghy and could see over it while reversing. Old dog new trick or just idleness. 

Driving, it would be tolerable if there was no one else on the road.

On 16/03/2023 at 10:41, gvallee said:

Good luck and let's hope your episode doesn't restrict your travels.

John

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Ah an opportunity to express my extreme displeasure at those  drivers who fail to signal properly when leaving a roundabout. It's simple enough, when driving on the left you are always turning left when leaving a roundabout, yet why do I see so many indicating right as they turn left, or failing to signal at all? It was particularly irritating when hauling our caravan when I would have to grind to a halt unnecessarily when entering the roundabout. It's noteworthy that most truck drivers do signal correctly, perhaps because they know the pain of accelerating a heavy load from rest.

As to reversing, I confess that I never properly mastered the art of backing the van using the mirrors, perhaps because I used to tow a dinghy and could see over it while reversing. Old dog new trick or just idleness. 

Driving, it would be tolerable if there was no one else on the road.

Unbelievably, in Australia it's not always the case. You can lawfully be in the left lane and turn right, while the right lane can turn left. I was caught unawares at a roundabout and nearly had an accident. I turned left in emergency to avoid being hit by a car, which led me to a motorway I didn't want. Scary and crazy stuff!

5 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Good luck and let's hope your episode doesn't restrict your travels.

John

Thank you John, I really hope so too.

13 hours ago, gvallee said:

Unbelievably, in Australia it's not always the case. You can lawfully be in the left lane and turn right, while the right lane can turn left. I was caught unawares at a roundabout and nearly had an accident. I turned left in emergency to avoid being hit by a car, which led me to a motorway I didn't want. Scary and crazy stuff!

Wow that's scary. Mind there are some convoluted large multi lane roundabouts in the UK where it's not clear to a newcomer which lane you should be in. There are different rules in Europe. I've read that it is illegal to signal while driving around a roundabout in Germany, you should only signal when leaving. It's a law that could be  usefully employed elsewhere.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic