Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

My bad news.

Email from Alamy to say my last upload of 36 images failed. One image SoLD.

I was trying my best to get more stars so QC would go through quicker and had not had a fail since October 2020. Blown it again.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

My bad news.

Email from Alamy to say my last upload of 36 images failed. One image SoLD.

I was trying my best to get more stars so QC would go through quicker and had not had a fail since October 2020. Blown it again.

Allan

Sorry about that, Allan.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

How come the first things I have to face everyday is the morning? 🤔

I feel bad posting so much in the Bad News thread. So just for you Edo, I will post now in the Good News thread. I just don't want to be seen boasting.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

I feel bad posting so much in the Bad News thread. So just for you Edo, I will post now in the Good News thread. I just don't want to be seen boasting.

We don't want you or anyone to come here and make up cheerful stories. Photogs, I've found, are most often sensitive and compassionate people. And I know that we are all interested in what's happening with the amazing Wildlife Girls Downunder. 👍

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 3

Sub zero temperatures and snow predicted for this week. We are having to drive to Leeds to do some child minding, hopefully the roads will be clear and safe. 

Further the weather is delaying the start of the gardening season, I'm itching to start sowing stuff but it's far too cold. Pointless sowing in cold soil. I might start off some onion sets in the unheated  greenhouse later in the week.

Since you mentioned the weather Bryan, here's the perfect opportunity to continue our favourite subject: driving! Just kidding.

We are camping, or should I say 'glamping', in the middle of the monsoon season. It has been raining heavily in the last few days and our motorhome has developped a leak at the back, right next to my bed. So wet mattress, wet pillows, pan next to my head 😂 Drip, drip, drip... We have booked it in a garage in Cairns to remove the back window, change the seal, cut out the rust if any, and get rid of the vent altogether. 

Thing is, we are camped on the Tablelands, which is a range near Cairns. There are basically two very windy access roads to it, through very beautiful rainforest with cassowaries. Very prone to accidents. I did slid all over the place on it with my previous Ford Transit. This time round, we have a 5.7 ton vehicle. The rule is to go down in the gear you went up. i.e. 3rd gear, which is also the gear where the exhaust brake kicks in. You can't use the standard brakes or you'll end up with smoking wheels. Imagine the queue behind us, 30kms in 3rd gear??

So, after very heavy rain in the last 2 days, choice 1, the Kuranda road has been closed all day. Choice 2 is pretty horrible: 30kms non-stop of very tight bends. Even locals avoid this road. Yet, we intended to take it tomorrow, as it's the shortest route from where we are. Bad idea. Landslide!! Aussies are used to it and are very quick to repair roads. We'll see the status tomorrow. We have to get down one way or the other. 

Edited by gvallee

Yesterday I drove into Essex for some photography. Took a backpack and 3 bodies with lenses attached. Then found my usual monopod wouldn't lift a camera to the top of a tall chainlink security fence. Was kicking myself that I didn't also bring my Sony RX100, it's small lens would have easily shot through the chainlink fence. Then on to Suffolk to Pin Mill for some personal photography. Afterwards visited the Butt and Oyster pub, but all tables booked. Then horrible wet driving conditions on the A12 and M25 heading home.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, sb photos said:

Yesterday I drove into Essex for some photography. Took a backpack and 3 bodies with lenses attached. Then found my usual monopod wouldn't lift a camera to the top of a tall chainlink security fence. Was kicking myself that I didn't also bring my Sony RX100, it's small lens would have easily shot through the chainlink fence. Then on to Suffolk to Pin Mill for some personal photography. Afterwards visited the Butt and Oyster pub, but all tables booked. Then horrible wet driving conditions on the A12 and M25 heading home.

Some days it just doesn’t pay to get out of bed. About everything one touches turns to sawdust.

On 06/03/2023 at 07:54, gvallee said:

So, after very heavy rain in the last 2 days, choice 1, the Kuranda road has been closed all day. Choice 2 is pretty horrible: 30kms non-stop of very tight bends. Even locals avoid this road. Yet, we intended to take it tomorrow, as it's the shortest route from where we are. Bad idea. Landslide!! Aussies are used to it and are very quick to repair roads. We'll see the status tomorrow. We have to get down one way or the other. 

So what happened Gen ?

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

So what happened Gen ?

Once again, Aussies lived up to their reputation. We took the long bendy one. Someone had spotted the landslide around 5am and notified Main Roads. I saw a photo. There was a huge rock and mud covering one lane. By the time we got down in the morning, it had been cleared. You could clearly see where it had been but that's all. There's monsoon every year over those steep roads so Aussies are well prepared. Still, Kudos!

We got down slowly, 30km of bends, at a top speed of 30kph in 3rd gear. The exhaust brake worked a treat. It wasn't raining but was very overcast and in some places, we were going through the clouds on the road, an eerie fog like scenery. It was truly majestic and mysterious through those giants trees and exuberant vegetation.

Aerial view of the road

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ftropicalnorthqueensland%2Fphotos%2Fa.103891479704068%2F3894193710673807%2F%3Ftype%3D3&psig=AOvVaw2tiequJvylxv2Fhv-AtKg_&ust=1678774710840000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA8QjRxqFwoTCOjMw6qh2P0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Here's a rock busting video on that road.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=535023971423400

Edited by gvallee

39 minutes ago, gvallee said:

We got down slowly, 30km of bends, at a top speed of 30kph in 3rd gear. The exhaust brake worked a treat. It wasn't raining but was very overcast and in some places, we were going through the clouds on the road, an eerie fog like scenery. It was truly majestic and mysterious through those giants trees and exuberant vegetation

The adventure continues then ! Saw the aerial photo but couldn't open the video, I'll try again using my PC. I had to look up exhaust brake, using engine compression to slow you down.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

The adventure continues then ! Saw the aerial photo but couldn't open the video, I'll try again using my PC. I had to look up exhaust brake, using engine compression to slow you down.

Never mind if the video doesn't work, it's a FB one. It shows the challenges the guys working on road maintenance face on that road.

Exhaust brakes is what trucks use. We weight 5.7 tons. In theory, you must not touch the brake pedal at all or your brakes will overheat. When going down that is. On our bus, we engage the exhaust brake from the windscreen wiper stalk.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Worth a look, makes you wince when you see that boulder hit the pile of stuff on the road.  Dreadful to think of what might have happened !

Sadly, a woman got killed last year on that road when a tree fell on her car. 

I've had a mini-heart attack, in the rainforest, on my own. So I'm told by doctors. I was leaning against a tree trunk, photographing birds when I felt I couldn't breathe. I soon was covered in sweat, feeling super dizzy and nearly passed out. The tree saved me from collapsing. Unaware of what was happening, after a while I crawled back to our campervan where I took it easy.

With a lot of persuasion (it takes a lot for me to see a doctor, I once  apologised to my GP when he checked his computer and said he hadn't seen me for 5 years!), hubby convinced me to see a GP. I was rushed to Emergencies and spent the rest of the day there in hospital, going through all kinds of tests. All wonderful, friendly, warm, smiling nurses and doctors full of energy. I was released full of holes and feeling like a walking fairy light with all the ECG contact pads still on. Further tests to come, including one harness monitoring my heart for 24 hours.

What a shock! I never expected something like that. This reinforced the views I always held: live life to the full, don't wait to do what makes you happy. And travel while you can if that's your thing.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, gvallee said:

I've had a mini-heart attack, in the rainforest, on my own. So I'm told by doctors. I was leaning against a tree trunk, photographing birds when I felt I couldn't breathe. I soon was covered in sweat, feeling super dizzy and nearly passed out. The tree saved me from collapsing. Unaware of what was happening, after a while I crawled back to our campervan where I took it easy.

With a lot of persuasion (it takes a lot for me to see a doctor, I once  apologised to my GP when he checked his computer and said he hadn't seen me for 5 years!), hubby convinced me to see a GP. I was rushed to Emergencies and spent the rest of the day there in hospital, going through all kinds of tests. All wonderful, friendly, warm, smiling nurses and doctors full of energy. I was released full of holes and feeling like a walking fairy light with all the ECG contact pads still on. Further tests to come, including one harness monitoring my heart for 24 hours.

What a shock! I never expected something like that. This reinforced the views I always held: live life to the full, don't wait to do what makes you happy. And travel while you can if that's your thing.

Wow, sorry to hear that Gen. I hope it's all minor in the end and you can keep doing the things you love doing. Good advice.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Wow Gen!  I hope you bounce right back.  That must have been very scary.  Yes, I have to push myself to see docs, always in avoidance of potential bad news...they don't usually deliver good news to me.  Are they looking to do an angiogram to check if there are any other possible blockages?  Take good care Gen!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Wow, sorry to hear that Gen. I hope it's all minor in the end and you can keep doing the things you love doing. Good advice.

Thank you Steve. While waiting for the test results, doubts were swirling in my head. Given our love for remote locations, am I still going to be able to travel to these places? What if another heart event occurs there? I feel perfectly fine now but it was so out of the blue that I haven't digested the news yet.

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Wow Gen!  I hope you bounce right back.  That must have been very scary.  Yes, I have to push myself to see docs, always in avoidance of potential bad news...they don't usually deliver good news to me.  Are they looking to do an angiogram to check if there are any other possible blockages?  Take good care Gen!!

Thank you Michael. There is no plan for an angiogram. They did an ECG, a scan and various blood tests. Yet to come is an Echo and a one-off 24h heart monitor. They did look for possible blood clot but found nothing. It's all alien to me, I've always been so healthy. It just goes to show.

44 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Take care, oh and those mini ecg pads...  you'll be finding them for days!   👍

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Take care, oh and those mini ecg pads...  you'll be finding them for days!   👍

You're not wrong! I thought I had them all off, and look! another one, and another one. 😁

• Love 1

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

Sorry to hear that Gen, gan canny as they say in these parts. 

• Love 1

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

Sorry that you have had a frightening experience.

Pleased to hear you took your hubbies advice and went to the doctor/hospital. Also pleased that they are still looking after you.

Take it easy for a while until it is all sorted out at least.

Hope there is only good news to come from the hospital investigations.

Allan

• Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic