Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

21 hours ago, gvallee said:

I don't know Bryan, the human brain is a very complex thing. I am currently struggling with names but I can remember many conversations I had word for word in the last 40 years. I know it's hard to believe but it's always been like that without me trying. It occurs naturally. Hubby says it's not fair. Nobody can tell me 'I never said that'. It's most peculiar and not a little bit spooky. But what did I do this morning?? I have to think about it and very often do not remember.

We are all different in our abilities etc. Periodically politicians attempt to meddle with the school curriculum, e.g. all students should learn poetry, extend maths tuition to 18 etc. At one time you had to have a pass in a foreign language in order to get a university place, whatever subject you wanted to study. In my view people should be encouraged to play to their strengths and any artificial barriers to progress removed.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bryan said:

We are all different in our abilities etc. Periodically politicians attempt to meddle with the school curriculum, e.g. all students should learn poetry, extend maths tuition to 18 etc. At one time you had to have a pass in a foreign language in order to get a university place, whatever subject you wanted to study. In my view people should be encouraged to play to their strengths and any artificial barriers to progress removed.

Not to get political...but, the current (UK) government is doing all it can to remove any form of creativity from the school curriculum - the so called "low value" courses. I run a creative Dept in a University, and the 'pipeline' is starting to dry up. Having said that, University is not right for everyone, and I for one miss Polytechnics and indeed art colleges which are a rare breed these days. Latin will probably be obligatory soon :)

• Like 1

Ah, Latin. Was it the basis for me learning Italian? No. Let Me explain. I was raised Catholic in Brooklyn and Washington, DC. I went to all Catholic schools. Religiously speaking, they lost me in about the 4th grade. An angry South America Jesuit priest (angry at my father, who was a US Congressman) failed me in Latin and math. Next I was with the Franciscans, where no one was pissed at my father, but again I failed Latin. I went to Catholic University for a year and a half in the music department. Did I fail Latin again? No, but I didn't take Latin. I failed English. I have dyslexia, and my English teacher failed people who had 3 spelling errors on a test. 

I learned Italian because I needed to talk to people about stuff when I lived in Rome. 

• Love 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I took Latin in grades seven and eight and actually enjoyed it. What can I say? I was a weird kid. 🧒

I don't hate Latin, John. I'm fascinated by other languages. I love the sound of French, Korean, and Indonesian. But each new tongue gives me an another chance to misspell words. Veni vidi but no vici.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I don't hate Latin, John. I'm fascinated by other languages. I love the sound of French, Korean, and Indonesian. But each new tongue gives me an another chance to misspell words. Veni vidi but no vici.

Got it. Remember pig Latin? It was a lot of fun, and the spelling ustmay avehay eenbay easieray orfay ouyay. 🐖

• Love 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

A large, cavernous, black, blinking massage chair behind the sofa had mysteriously switched to auto-mode and was happily contorting

There you have it. I believe all ghostly occurrences to be mysterious.

I came across it after my wife passed away. Bear in mind that the occurrence was after the funeral service when I was back home alone.

Scene setting:  It was a still day and all windows and doors were closed. I had come in via the back door which I closed behind me. There was a glass door between the kitchen and dining room. I had stopped in the kitchen ready to go through to the dinning room to the rest of the house but had not yet opened the glass door.

I had a copy of the Eulogy and started to read it. About five lines in the glass door between the kitchen and dining room started to rattle and got faster. The hairs on the back of my head started to rise and I called "Pauline!" and the door stopped rattling immediately.

I believe my wife did not want me to read the Eulogy and become upset by it.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

There you have it. I believe all ghostly occurrences to be mysterious.

I came across it after my wife passed away. Bear in mind that the occurrence was after the funeral service when I was back home alone.

Scene setting:  It was a still day and all windows and doors were closed. I had come in via the back door which I closed behind me. There was a glass door between the kitchen and dining room. I had stopped in the kitchen ready to go through to the dinning room to the rest of the house but had not yet opened the glass door.

I had a copy of the Eulogy and started to read it. About five lines in the glass door between the kitchen and dining room started to rattle and got faster. The hairs on the back of my head started to rise and I called "Pauline!" and the door stopped rattling immediately.

I believe my wife did not want me to read the Eulogy and become upset by it.

Allan

ESP, I believe in it. I don't know what this armchair was trying to tell us.

On 11/02/2023 at 06:38, John Mitchell said:

I took Latin in grades seven and eight and actually enjoyed it. What can I say? I was a weird kid. 🧒

Full disclosure, I also did Latin, it helped me a lot with English esp new words , but the only Latin I can remember is "Caecelius est in atrio" (Caecelius is in the hall)!

31 minutes ago, StokeCreative said:

Full disclosure, I also did Latin, it helped me a lot with English esp new words , but the only Latin I can remember is "Caecelius est in atrio" (Caecelius is in the hall)!

Cogito ut "Caecilius in horto sedet". Servus in atrio erat.🤨

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, StokeCreative said:

I'm not sure how much Latin helped me in the long run. I suspect that the main reason I liked Latin was because I was the only boy in the class, which is probably why one of the few phrases that I can remember is "puella amat puerum." 👩‍❤️‍👨

Edited by John Mitchell

3 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

I took several years of conversational and written Spanish in high school and college (all long forgotten for lack of use), and I remember being so jealous of people who’d taken Latin. They seemed to have such an easier time in Spanish class. 

If you were ever fluent, most of it will come back in whatever country your Spanish teacher was from or studied in the most.   I found I understood Mexican Spanish and Mexico City people understood me better than many Nicaraguans.   I'm still not fluent, but I have had flashes of that two years of high school Spanish.  

Maybe, if I spent a lot of time in a Spanish speaking area, some of it would come back. I’ve been focusing on learning French as a mature adult because I visit France pretty regularly. I’ve also tried picking up some basic Italian, but I’m absolutely hopeless when it comes to languages. Always have been, but I do try my best. I’ve found that now I tend to slip into French, when I should be speaking in Italian or Spanish. 

11 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

If you were ever fluent, most of it will come back in whatever country your Spanish teacher was from or studied in the most.   I found I understood Mexican Spanish and Mexico City people understood me better than many Nicaraguans.   I'm still not fluent, but I have had flashes of that two years of high school Spanish.  

I was surprised at how badly I was with learning much Spanish in Seville. I've had basic minimal travel Spanish for a long time because of all the photo trips I did in Central and South America. Twice I lived for a time in Majorca. Native Majorcans give you a dark look if you greet them in Spanish instead of Catalan. That might have been my imagination, but there are still strong feelings about the outcome of the Spanish Civil War.

Most nations accept that English is now the lingua franca in the world. I have a greeting and a thank you in 48 languages. My accent is pretty good in most, I think, but my vocabulary is tiny.  

• Alamy locked this topic