Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

One frustrating thing about the Hedy Lamarr invention is that it wasn't used by our military until the 1960s. Imagine the lives that could have been saved if we had won WWII sooner.

Paulette

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Would something that long and thin be stone? As I said there seem to be a sag in the remaining piece, presumably stone couldn't do that. Looks like a crack on the edge as well.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/eleanor-rigby-statue-repair-money-25992580

Mark and all, I understand little to nothing about these things but others may. What kind of accident, I don't know.

46 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/eleanor-rigby-statue-repair-money-25992580

Mark and all, I understand little to nothing about these things but others may. What kind of accident, I don't know.

As you suggest, maybe a fat drunken b** accident.

I had no idea it was over 40 years old. It's "Tommy" with a "y" btw, for your tags.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Frequency hopping is also used in the control of radio controlled models. Nice to know Hedy had a hand in that too if only through copycatting.

Allan

FFH, fast frequency hopping is very common now for secure communication. Long ago when working for a MOD contractor we worked on early development of antennas that would tune very fast matching the varying frequency of the transmitted signal. No doubt now there have been incredible advances in this area.

• Like 1

The world has dramatically changed since the fire in my building on Mulberry Street, NYC in 2018. And not for the better.

In the past, I don't recall seeing so many homeless people as there are today. And it's not just here in Liverpool; San Francisco, one of America's most attractive cities, has even more people living on the street. Climate change and Covid threaten us too. The style changes I can live with -- although body tattooing and piercing will not be easy to move on from. Styles always change and are often downright silly. 

So maybe what happened to the Eleanor Rigby statue can be seen as a logical metaphor. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

The average monthly rent of a one-bedroom apartment in San Francisco, one of my favourite cities, is apparently $3000. Hotels are so expensive in SF, that I'd be homeless if I went there now. Once upon a time it was a relatively inexpensive place to visit. Vancouver, where rents are ridiculous as well, also has a serious homelessness problem. Perhaps Eleanor was trying to get everyone's attention:

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?
  • Thanks 1

I did the hard thing today and had my vet send my cat Possum to kitty heaven. He was a fat cat once upon a time..

fat-cat-in-round-basket-S1WTFC.jpg

He almost reached 18 pounds at one time and today was only 8 pounds. He had been shrinking for a long time but still purring when he was not sleeping. The last couple of days he had stopped the purring and I didn't want to make him go on like that. He will be missed.

Paulette

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I did the hard thing today and had my vet send my cat Possum to kitty heaven. He was a fat cat once upon a time..

He almost reached 18 pounds at one time and today was only 8 pounds. He had been shrinking for a long time but still purring when he was not sleeping. The last couple of days he had stopped the purring and I didn't want to make him go on like that. He will be missed.

Paulette

You did the right thing for him Paulette. Bless! Pets become a huge part of our life. I can see that with the 3 dogs and 2 cats we're currently taking care of. They make me feel guilty if they want to play and I don't feel like it. One of the dogs likes to steal my clothes during the night and hide them under my bed. 

Gen

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

I'm so sorry to hear that, dear. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

So sorry Paulette 😪, such a shame that dogs and cats can't have a longer life, they give so much to us...we just don't deserve them sometimes.  My daughter is thinking of fostering a second cat so her boy (Luci) can have a friend, I'm not against the idea.  Nice photo of Possum!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

You’ve lost a family member, and you’ll see his ghost everywhere for a while. I did when I lost beloved pets. You did the right thing, a hard decision, but a kind, intuitive & sensitive one.

So sad for your grief.

Betty

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the understanding sympathy. The apartment seems very strange without him. He was 18 years old and had an eventful life. He grew up on the streets of the Bronx and wound up at the Humane Society after having been burned when he crawled into a car engine to keep warm. I got him to be a friend to my cat Barnaby and they played together and slept together. Possum always had a dog-like personality and wanted to be out in the hall of my building so he could meet everyone. He also liked dogs and he and a neighbor's Shiba Inu used to walk together in our courtyard garden. He also liked a Jack Russel Terrier who lived across the hall but they couldn't match their energy levels. Possum would fall down in front of him and Chester would jump about. Such a charming cat.

Paulette

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Thank you for the understanding sympathy. The apartment seems very strange without him. He was 18 years old and had an eventful life. He grew up on the streets of the Bronx and wound up at the Humane Society after having been burned when he crawled into a car engine to keep warm. I got him to be a friend to my cat Barnaby and they played together and slept together. Possum always had a dog-like personality and wanted to be out in the hall of my building so he could meet everyone. He also liked dogs and he and a neighbor's Shiba Inu used to walk together in our courtyard garden. He also liked a Jack Russel Terrier who lived across the hall but they couldn't match their energy levels. Possum would fall down in front of him and Chester would jump about. Such a charming cat.

Paulette

That's a good long life.   An  18 year old tom, even fixed, has lived longer than usual.  Good that you and he found each other. 

• Love 1

9 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The average monthly rent of a one-bedroom apartment in San Francisco, one of my favourite cities, is apparently $3000. Hotels are so expensive in SF, that I'd be homeless if I went there now. Once upon a time it was a relatively inexpensive place to visit. Vancouver, where rents are ridiculous as well, also has a serious homelessness problem. Perhaps Eleanor was trying to get everyone's attention:

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

In the UK it appears that landlords are within the government's sights, as they have removed their ability to claim tax relief on loans for rental properties, and intend to make it more difficult to evict problem tenants. On the horizon is a raft of legislation regarding energy efficiency with, I guess, ultimately a requirement to fit air source heat pumps and new radiator systems. I foresee two outcomes, landlords selling their properties so reducing the stock available to rent, and increased rents. If local councils were being encouraged to built more social housing to rent  this might not be an issue, but that's not the case. There are unfortunately some really bad landlords, but I suspect that the worst of them operate under the radar, immune to any legislation, while those who comply with the law are having their lives made more difficult. I'm not seeing any easy solutions to the problem of spiralling rents.

On 18/07/2020 at 23:47, geogphotos said:

Went to an auction viewing about 12 miles away to see a lot listed as consisting of an old slide projector ( not interested in it) and two big cardboard boxes of slides ( back to film project). 

Probably several thousand 'slides' but only the mounts. Just tray after tray, box after box of slide mounts of different sorts, some plastic, some card, without any actual sliver of film to be seen anywhere. Wasted journey. No idea what that was all about. 

Best hold your fire for your neighbourhood car boot sale.  If the BBC's 'Antiques Roadshow' is to be believed, Britons are constantly stumbling across valuables that lurk amongst the household dross.

6 hours ago, Philip Game said:

Best hold your fire for your neighbourhood car boot sale.  If the BBC's 'Antiques Roadshow' is to be believed, Britons are constantly stumbling across valuables that lurk amongst the household dross.

You've just responded to a 3-year-old post. Geog probably hasn't kept them that long.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

In the UK it appears that landlords are within the government's sights, as they have removed their ability to claim tax relief on loans for rental properties, and intend to make it more difficult to evict problem tenants. On the horizon is a raft of legislation regarding energy efficiency with, I guess, ultimately a requirement to fit air source heat pumps and new radiator systems. I foresee two outcomes, landlords selling their properties so reducing the stock available to rent, and increased rents. If local councils were being encouraged to built more social housing to rent  this might not be an issue, but that's not the case. There are unfortunately some really bad landlords, but I suspect that the worst of them operate under the radar, immune to any legislation, while those who comply with the law are having their lives made more difficult. I'm not seeing any easy solutions to the problem of spiralling rents.

Our city council is considering a bill that would prohibit landlords from doing criminal background checks on prospective tenants. We are already experiencing a lot of crime... even in my "good" neighborhood. I can't imagine living elsewhere but don't love New York as much as I used to.

Paulette

• Love 1

16 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Why is the life of dogs or cats shorter than that of humans?
The 6-year-old said: “I know why.

He said:-”We come into the world to learn how to live a good life, how to love others all the time and be a good person.
Since dogs and cats are born knowing how to do all this, they don't have to live as long as we do.”
Moral of the story is:
If a dog or cat were your teacher, you would learn things like:
When your loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
Never pass up an opportunity to go for a walk.
Allow the experience of fresh air and wind on your face to be one of pure bliss!
Stretch before getting up.
Avoid "biting" when just a "growl" would suffice.
In very hot weather, drink lots of water and lie down in the shade of a shady tree.

• Love 3
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Hi Paulette, Sorry I am late to pick this up and I am very sorry for your loss.

We had a cat, well it was supposed to be our daughters, but she could not have it where she was living. Things moved on and I still had the cat to look after when my wife passed away. A while later he was becoming rather poorly and after a few visits to the vet one day she said there was nothing else could be done for him. She suggested the  quick and painless method. I said yes as I did not want him to suffer any more and held him while the injection was delivered. (Huh! Still bringing a tear to my eyes talking about it.)  When I got home I cried almost as much as I cried for my wife.

You did the right thing and he is in a peaceful place now.

Allan

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Looks just like my last family cat Kipper who made it to 19 and 11/12ths. She just got untidy in old age- you know, coat not quite as smooth as it used to be? She was a car accident replacement so I picked her out at 12 weeks. A long time.

I moved back to London when she was 3 but I think I was forgiven. OH isn't a cat person and I hardly miss having one about the house after 35 years but always say hello in the street and grab a stroke if it's on offer (Brits behave!)

Edited by spacecadet

10 hours ago, NYCat said:

Our city council is considering a bill that would prohibit landlords from doing criminal background checks on prospective tenants. We are already experiencing a lot of crime... even in my "good" neighborhood. I can't imagine living elsewhere but don't love New York as much as I used to.

Paulette

Neighborhoods do change over time. Our previous neighborhood, which was so friendly and neighborly when we moved there, slowly changed over time as people sold their houses & new families moved in. Everyone who walked our cul-de-sac in the beginning stopped & chatted when they saw you out doing yard work. Loaned things. First-name basis.  Gave advice, usually experienced advice. I loved the old man who was a Master Gardner & answered gardening questions.

Several moved, 2 died. The families that took their places were other cultures who kept to their own & were unfriendly. When we left, one teen & his friend was stealing lawn equipment from another neighbor at 3 am, hardly anyone other than 2 neighbors spoke to each other. I was sad to see it so, & ready to move.

I’m in a good place here, crime doesn’t seem to be an issue on my street. For how long? Who knows.

On 19/01/2023 at 11:37, NYCat said:

Paulette

I imagine there are concerns about indirect discrimination. Much more of an issue in the US because the imprisonment rate is so high, and some minorities are over-represented in your justice system.

On 18/01/2023 at 20:01, Bryan said:

Fortunately, we aren't renters any longer, but we lived in rental apartments (a.k.a. "flats") for many years when they were still affordable. I agree, it's tough to see what might slow rising rents. At some point, though, apartments might get so expensive that landlords will start having trouble filling them. Rent controls are another possible solution.

• Alamy locked this topic