Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

36 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

John, I followed the steps in the website you sent me . . . and lo and behold -- I have turned this smart TV on. I'm pretty sure I did these steps a few days ago but maybe not. 

Thank you so much. And thank you all. 

This technology remains a series of hateful mysteries to me but I will try to remain calm. I haven't been this angry since my friends Ronnie and Harvey died from dementia in NYC and I started that fight in the Subway.

Edo from the 20th century

Well done Edo! If it's any consolation, you're not alone. I hate technology.

In one State of Australia, there was a Covid app so diabolical to instal that that State Premier needed his teenage son to instal it for him.

I recently had to instal the UberShare app. It was maddening, I spent ages.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

John, I followed the steps in the website you sent me . . . and lo and behold -- I have turned this smart TV on. I'm pretty sure I did these steps a few days ago but maybe not. 

Thank you so much. And thank you all. 

This technology remains a series of hateful mysteries to me but I will try to remain calm. I haven't been this angry since my friends Ronnie and Harvey died from dementia in NYC and I started that fight in the Subway.

Edo from the 20th century

OMG it actually worked! Happy to hear that. I still have a fax machine if that's any consolation. 🤓

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, I've had some of those yummy buns.  I've developed a keen interest in bread and butter pudding too. 👍

I still think of the bread and butter pudding as the poor peoples sweet as that is what mum used to make when we were little and there was not much money and it used up the crusts that no one would eat.

It seems to be on the menu at quite a lot of good restaurants these days.

Allan

Yes, Allan -- the fact that it's an English working-class sweet is part of my attraction to it. And I do like sweets that are not too sweet. I'd love to get my hands on one of Betty's pies. I get my buns and puds at M&S Foodhall. 

2M4DAPF.jpg

2AKDGCK.jpg
 I make the equivalent, called bread pudding. The base is like a vanilla pudding or custard, with the dried bread added. It can have raisins in it or not, or be flavored with cinnamon or not. I like a lemon sauce over mine, spooned over a serving.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

This "Bad Things" thread is getting pretty sweet!

It is good that not so many bad things are being posted.

Perhaps it should be called the "Moderate " thread.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2023 at 16:17, Allan Bell said:

It is good that not so many bad things are being posted.

Perhaps it should be called the "Moderate " thread.

Allan

Would never do! Let's get back to some properly bad things....  😊

• Like 1

Weather predicted to be very cold, by my standards, these next few days, although blue skies are also on the cards.

We took a ride on the Tyneside Metro yesterday, and most of the windows were open, with signs, that I couldn't read without glasses, but which presumably explained that it was necessary to avoid passing on bugs. I closed the window nearest to me which prompted a bloke opposite to close his as well. It remained perishing cold in the carriage, and on getting out I felt very a bit unwell - I suffer from poor circulation and am under doctor's orders not to get cold.  We made it to a warm café and a bowl of hot soup and, by the time we left, I could feel my fingers again. 

So tomorrow I would love to be out with the camera, but massively wrapped up and with two pairs of gloves, we'll see. 

Things not looking good for today !

2M8YRHG.jpg

Edited by Bryan

2M90CC3.jpg

This is what some drunken moron did to the stone bench where Tommy Steele's statue of Eleanor Rigby sits. This was my favourite spot in Liverpool, just a block from my front door. I pass her most days going back and forth from the shops and often I would sit on that bench for a visit and softly sing her song. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

This is what some drunken moron did to the stone bench where Tommy Steele's statue of Eleanor Rigby sits

Just ghastly, apparently bits have been stolen before but nothing like this. I'd never seen it before and I think it's a brilliant sculpture, I had absolutely no idea that the entertainer Tommy Steele was both a respected sculptor and an artist who has exhibited at the Royal Academy, Wikipedia is worth a read.

Reminds me of when I found out that the Hollywood actress Hedy Lamarr was an inventor, together with a musician/composer friend she the had the idea of 'frequency hopping' in order to prevent radio-controlled torpedoes from being tracked in WW2, a principle that is still built in to GPS & Bluetooth today, thanks again to Wikipedia.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Just ghastly, apparently bits have been stolen before but nothing like this. I'd never seen it before and I think it's a brilliant sculpture, I had absolutely no idea that the entertainer Tommy Steele was both a respected sculptor and an artist who has exhibited at the Royal Academy, Wikipedia is worth a read.

Reminds me of when I found out that the Hollywood actress Hedy Lamarr was an inventor, together with a musician/composer friend she the had the idea of 'frequency hopping' in order to prevent radio-controlled torpedoes from being tracked in WW2, a principle that is still built in to GPS & Bluetooth today, thanks again to Wikipedia.

Beautiful women can have more to them than beauty. Hedy Lamarr was one, it seems. 

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Beautiful women can have more to them than beauty. Hedy Lamarr was one, it seems.

Yes, just to be clear in case your comment is misinterpreted, my surprise wasn't because she was a beautiful woman, it was because she had an illustrious career as a film star, just as Tommy Steele had a similarly illustrious career as an entertainer (and film star), in the UK at least.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Thanks 1

This is a trailer for the documentary about her... 

It is worth searching out. A fascinating and ultimately sad story about an amazing woman. Her life had a lot of drama and unexpected aspects.

Paulette

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Frequency hopping is also used in the control of radio controlled models. Nice to know Hedy had a hand in that too if only through copycatting.

Allan

19 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

2M90CC3.jpg

This is what some drunken moron did to the stone bench where Tommy Steele's statue of Eleanor Rigby sits. This was my favourite spot in Liverpool, just a block from my front door. I pass her most days going back and forth from the shops and often I would sit on that bench for a visit and softly sing her song. 

Sad to see but I wonder if there were structural problems as the reinforcement seems to have failed- there's no rebar across the middle at all, or it's corroded away. And the right-hand section is sagging.

45 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Sad to see but I wonder if there were structural problems as the reinforcement seems to have failed- there's no rebar across the middle at all, or it's corroded away. And the right-hand section is sagging.

If made of stone, there wouldn't be any rebar.

14 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

If made of stone, there wouldn't be any rebar.

Would something that long and thin be stone? As I said there seem to be a sag in the remaining piece, presumably stone couldn't do that. Looks like a crack on the edge as well.

6 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, just to be clear in case your comment is misinterpreted, my surprise wasn't because she was a beautiful woman, it was because she had an illustrious career as a film star, just as Tommy Steele had a similarly illustrious career as an entertainer (and film star), in the UK at least.

Of course, Harry, I understand your meaning. So many times Hollywood treated women as if their only worth was their beauty. And, of course, their beauty is what made them top box office stars. The stories about what so many of these women had to do to get a break is horrible. It’s always fulfilling to hear stories recognizing one’s intelligence.

it reminds me of how shabbily indigenous people were treated, as if they were less than. Yet they were invaluable as code talkers, using their unique language, during WW2.

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic