Jump to content

Post a bad thing that happened in your life today


Ed Rooney

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, NYCat said:

I just need to try different varieties of food to tempt him.

My four year old cat Belle has tooth problems.  Two were extracted awhile back, and she's now edgy with food.  Friskies packets seem to be her favorite, and she's turning up her nose at cooked ground chicken.  I suspect she had FIV, but can't get her tested for that here, but she was bitten and had a resistant skin infection (now cleared up.   Friends had an FIV cat who lived a reasonable life. So kibble and soft food packets, and maybe just soft food packets after the SS raise.

 

Does yours have kidney failure?  My cat in Philadelphia had that.   People trying to urge me to do subcutaneous hydration but a neighbor who was a hospice nurse said that sometimes, it's time.   I realized it was time when the cat went and laid down in front of a dog who'd chased him in the past.   Dog was freaked out and my cat looked disgusted.   Cat was from the Patrick County, Virginia, pound and lived to be 14.

 

Maude still is missing, so either she found new people or something or someone got her. 

 

Lola the mostly cocker spaniel is eager to eat the cooked ground chicken if the cat isn't.   It's cheap enough (50 cordobas, roughly a dollar and a half per pound), but if Belle doesn't eat it, not worth having.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

My $114 sale was refunded today 😪

Oh dear, I know the feeling, two refunds this month, but for much smaller amounts and one resold for few cents less. There is a chance that yours will also reappear, fingers crossed !

 

Once upon a time,  when prices were a good deal higher, I made a $$$$ sale, and rushed out and bought a new lens. These days, should it ever happen again,  I would wait until the sale cleared.

  • Love 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

My four year old cat Belle has tooth problems.  Two were extracted awhile back, and she's now edgy with food.  Friskies packets seem to be her favorite, and she's turning up her nose at cooked ground chicken.  I suspect she had FIV, but can't get her tested for that here, but she was bitten and had a resistant skin infection (now cleared up.   Friends had an FIV cat who lived a reasonable life. So kibble and soft food packets, and maybe just soft food packets after the SS raise.

 

Does yours have kidney failure?  My cat in Philadelphia had that.   People trying to urge me to do subcutaneous hydration but a neighbor who was a hospice nurse said that sometimes, it's time.   I realized it was time when the cat went and laid down in front of a dog who'd chased him in the past.   Dog was freaked out and my cat looked disgusted.   Cat was from the Patrick County, Virginia, pound and lived to be 14.

 

Maude still is missing, so either she found new people or something or someone got her. 

 

Lola the mostly cocker spaniel is eager to eat the cooked ground chicken if the cat isn't.   It's cheap enough (50 cordobas, roughly a dollar and a half per pound), but if Belle doesn't eat it, not worth having.

 

Possum's blood work was all OK. He always drank lots of water so I think that helped with the kidneys. He's just fading away and, so far, it's easier than what got my other cats...

 

Paulette

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bryan said:

First frost of the year, cold miserable misty start with roofs white.  Should have cut back the dahlias earlier 😒

 

You too.  Ours around Lincolnshire is more of an air frost although I have not been out into the countryside to see if there is a ground frost.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The keyboard on my Dell XPS15 (the machine where my LR and PS are installed) has stopped working, but it's more fundamental than that because I tried a USB keyboard and that doesn't work either. And I can't log in because the keyboard doesn't work, so I can't look at any settings.... And I can't afford a new laptop. All the Google fixes I've read so far require being logged in 🤦‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Steve F said:

The keyboard on my Dell XPS15 (the machine where my LR and PS are installed) has stopped working, but it's more fundamental than that because I tried a USB keyboard and that doesn't work either. And I can't log in because the keyboard doesn't work, so I can't look at any settings.... And I can't afford a new laptop. All the Google fixes I've read so far require being logged in 🤦‍♂️

Bad news indeed, but is there a local repair shop that might take a look? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bryan said:

Bad news indeed, but is there a local repair shop that might take a look? 

 

I might need to have a look, yes. It's starting to look like a hardware problem. The ease of access virtual keyboard doesn't seem to be working either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Steve F said:

The keyboard on my Dell XPS15 (the machine where my LR and PS are installed) has stopped working, but it's more fundamental than that because I tried a USB keyboard and that doesn't work either. And I can't log in because the keyboard doesn't work, so I can't look at any settings.... And I can't afford a new laptop. All the Google fixes I've read so far require being logged in 🤦‍♂️

You do know Microsoft has an on-board onscreen keyboard? Windows help.

 

wim

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

You do know Microsoft has an on-board onscreen keyboard? Windows help.

 

wim

 

 

Yes, I tried that afterwards. But it was corrupting and half the keys disappeared. Pretty sure it's a hardware problem. Machine is in repair shop now. Guess this is a good time to look back at old keywording 😝

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ohmygosh -- I had a Cuban sandwich for lunch today, not realising today was Thanksgiving. A Communist meal on a big American holiday. I don't feel so good. 🥵

 

You've made a turkey very happy. 🦃

 

¡Viva la revolución!

  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bad news - had a hard drive suddenly fail,  Contained all my raw files since 2004.  One minute it was there, then it wasn't.  Tried it in another 'pooter - dead, passed on! This hard drive is no more! it has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! It is a stiff, bereft of life, rests in peace! It's metabolic processes are now 'istory, off the twig, kicked the bucket, shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-HARD DRIVE!!*

 

*Apologies to Monty Python.

 

Good news - I have three backups!  Not that I'm paranoid or anything....

Edited by Vincent Lowe
Grammar (apostrophe misuse)
  • Love 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Bad news - had a hard drive suddenly fail,  Contained all my raw files since 2004.  One minute it was there, then it wasn't.  Tried it in another 'pooter - dead, passed on! This hard drive is no more! it has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet it's maker! It is a stiff, bereft of life, rests in peace! It's metabolic processes are now 'istory, off the twig, kicked the bucket, shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-HARD DRIVE!!*

 

*Apologies to Monty Python.

 

Good news - I have three backups!  Not that I'm paranoid or anything....

You're not paranoid anymore😉

Matter of interest, how old was it, and was it kept on all the time, or just when needed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You're not paranoid anymore😉

Matter of interest, how old was it, and was it kept on all the time, or just when needed?

 

It's a WD 4TB dated 30 July 2016 and it was permanently in the computer, so on all the time the computer was switched on.  My brother is a (retired) computer whizz-kid so I'll be taking it with me when I see them over Christmas/Hogmanay.  He might be be able to do something with it - if not I'll be dismantling it and taking some close-ups!

 

I have individual external hard drives to back up each drive in the computer which I use with a USB hub and only plug these in when needed, and also an 8TB drive 'all drives' backup, plus a NAS box where I backup all my RAW files and Alamy images. 

 

Edit - just to add, I've had drives fail in the past but there was always some warning - strange clicking noises, errors etc, but this is the first time I've ever had a hard drive suddenly fail without any warning whatsoever.   You can't have too many back-ups folks!

Edited by Vincent Lowe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep. I'm in the process of doing my first back-up with BackBlaze so I'll have it for off-site backup. Then I can collect the hard drives I left with a friend. They are a little bit out of date now. The BackBlaze initial back-up is moving quickly at least. Another couple of days and it will be done. I am paying the extra $2 a month to get them to hold everything for a year. I sometimes don't work at that computer very often and I don't want to worry about any deadlines.

 

Paulette

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Feeling a tad under the weather with the symptoms of a heavy cold and have just tested positive for Covid.  I'm fully jabbed so hoping it won't be too bad !

 

Not sure how to spend the next five days indoors, I might warp out some jigsaws, if we still have any.  So far my wife has not caught the bug. We had booked to have a Xmas meal out with friends later in the week, but that's not going to happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Feeling a tad under the weather with the symptoms of a heavy cold and have just tested positive for Covid.  I'm fully jabbed so hoping it won't be too bad !

 

Not sure how to spend the next five days indoors, I might warp out some jigsaws, if we still have any.  So far my wife has not caught the bug. We had booked to have a Xmas meal out with friends later in the week, but that's not going to happen.

Just take another test on the day. No reason for OH to stay away if she's clear.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Feeling a tad under the weather with the symptoms of a heavy cold and have just tested positive for Covid.  I'm fully jabbed so hoping it won't be too bad !

 

Not sure how to spend the next five days indoors, I might warp out some jigsaws, if we still have any.  So far my wife has not caught the bug. We had booked to have a Xmas meal out with friends later in the week, but that's not going to happen.

 

Need the sad emoji here. Get well soon. When I found out a friend was doing jigsaw puzzles it solved my problem figuring out what to get her for Christmas. They are fun.

 

Paulette

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Get well soon Bryan! Yes, we need the sad emoji more than the red arrow!

Thanks Michael, I have to agree that the sad emoji is sorely missed, the red arrow is often overkill. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Feeling a tad under the weather with the symptoms of a heavy cold and have just tested positive for Covid.  I'm fully jabbed so hoping it won't be too bad !

 

Not sure how to spend the next five days indoors, I might warp out some jigsaws, if we still have any.  So far my wife has not caught the bug. We had booked to have a Xmas meal out with friends later in the week, but that's not going to happen.

Sorry to hear this, Bryan. Wishing you a quick recovery.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Feeling a tad under the weather with the symptoms of a heavy cold and have just tested positive for Covid.  I'm fully jabbed so hoping it won't be too bad !

 

Not sure how to spend the next five days indoors, I might warp out some jigsaws, if we still have any.  So far my wife has not caught the bug. We had booked to have a Xmas meal out with friends later in the week, but that's not going to happen.

 

Sorry to hear the bad news Bryan. If you cannot locate any physical jigsaw puzzle, you can always do a virtual one on your computer. I do the Rural houses ones on my tablet. I love puzzles. Feel better soon.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.