Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

Yesterday I had a run of missed shots that I couldn't take as I was driving and couldn't pull over.

First was shortly after leaving home. Running towards me on the pavement was a man and two young girls, obviously on their way to school. The girls were dressed in bright colourful coats with matching backpacks. The older girl was on a scooter moving quite fast, the younger was running right behind her with outstretched arms, and both had great happy expressions on their faces. The man, possibly a grandparent, who was taking them to school (infants school was very close) was on the younger girls scooter trying to keep up with the girls, and looked as if he was really enjoying the chase. Likely would never see again.

Later in the day passed a Kosher butchers, which I have never photographed before. Nowhere nearby to park.

Early evening now dusk, passed near Wembley Stadium, with its arch lit up in yellow and blue for Ukraine, again nowhere to park with a clear view.

Finally on homeward stretch now dark, passed two fire engines with blue lights flashing stationary on the other side of the A41 dual carriageway putting out a fire. Could see flames and smell burning rubber. Nowhere nearby to safely and legally pull over, had to pass on it.

Hopefully I'll have a better day today.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Yesterday I had a run of missed shots that I couldn't take as I was driving and couldn't pull over.

First was shortly after leaving home. Running towards me on the pavement was a man and two young girls, obviously on their way to school. The girls were dressed in bright colourful coats with matching backpacks. The older girl was on a scooter moving quite fast, the younger was running right behind her with outstretched arms, and both had great happy expressions on their faces. The man, possibly a grandparent, who was taking them to school (infants school was very close) was on the younger girls scooter trying to keep up with the girls, and looked as if he was really enjoying the chase. Likely would never see again.

Later in the day passed a Kosher butchers, which I have never photographed before. Nowhere nearby to park.

Early evening now dusk, passed near Wembley Stadium, with its arch lit up in yellow and blue for Ukraine, again nowhere to park with a clear view.

Finally on homeward stretch now dark, passed two fire engines with blue lights flashing stationary on the other side of the A41 dual carriageway putting out a fire. Could see flames and smell burning rubber. Nowhere nearby to safely and legally pull over, had to pass on it.

How frustrating! Not for the same type of pictures, but I frequently encounter the parking issue with my bus. In town it's a nightmare, but it's also sometimes a problem on roads where there is no hard shoulder to stop, either because it's an elevated road for flooding or too narrow or I would not be able to turn round or whatever. Very frustrating!

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

How frustrating! Not for the same type of pictures, but I frequently encounter the parking issue with my bus. In town it's a nightmare, but it's also sometimes a problem on roads where there is no hard shoulder to stop, either because it's an elevated road for flooding or too narrow or I would not be able to turn round or whatever. Very frustrating!

I am with you both.

Have missed many shots due to being in a car with nowhere to pull over (legally) or park.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I am with you both.

Have missed many shots due to being in a car with nowhere to pull over (legally) or park.

Allan

I did once think about buying a folding bike to keep in the car. Could be useful for cycling back for static shots, but doesn’t solve the majority of problems. Will continue to curse when I miss something interesting.

Ahh, those excellent images taken while whizzing by in an auto & preserved only in your memory. I have some of those too, & a few haunt me. When my husband was alive, he always drove. These weren’t  planned shoots, (which I did alone, driving myself) but usually travel to family events when I had my camera with me, usually resting in my lap. If I exclaimed, he’d do everything he could to find a place to pull over so I could take the shot even if I had to run back to get it. More were missed than taken, though, for all the reasons y’all listed.

Edited by Betty LaRue

I am shaken to the core. We are part of the Coaster buses travel community on social media. It's a fantastic community with the same spirit, exchanging useful tips, be it mechanical or where to camp or how to roast in a camp oven. We have occasional meets for those travelling in a particular area. They are great fun. Campfires, happy hour, cooking competition, games. A lot of laughter to be had. Great characters.

Yesterday, we heard that one of our friends, a woman traveller, who was also the Admin of the group, had had an accident. Straight away I thought road accident. Nope. She fell in her Coaster. She was airlifted to Sydney and entubed. Tests showed she had broken C5, the cervical nerve. Prognostic was likely paraplegia. We were stunned. She died this morning. Just like that. One second you're full of life, next one you're gone. I can't get over it.

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 1

How terrible, Gen. I do fear falls at my age. I used to fall now and then.. always seemed to hit my head. Now I am super careful and hope to stay up always. It sounds like she was living her life well. What a dreadful loss for all that loved her.

Paulette

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gvallee said:

I am shaken to the core. We are part of the Coaster buses travel community on social media. It's a fantastic community with the same spirit, exchanging useful tips, be it mechanical or where to camp or how to roast in a camp oven. We have occasional meets for those travelling in a particular area. They are great fun. Campfires, happy hour, cooking competition, games. A lot of laughter to be had. Great characters.

Yesterday, we heard that one of our friends, a woman traveller, who was also the Admin of the group, had had an accident. Straight away I thought road accident. Nope. She fell in her Coaster. She was airlifted to Sydney and entubed. Tests showed she had broken C5, the cervical nerve. Prognostic was likely paraplegia. We were stunned. She died this morning. Just like that. One second you're full of life, next one you're gone. I can't get over it.

Sorry to hear that. 🦔

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gvallee said:

Sorry Gen, always tough when our peers suddenly pass. In the past year, three photographer friends, all I knew well, died in their early 60s.  All seemed to be as fit and healthy as can be.  One had a heart attack while diving in the Azores, one fell while traveling in South Africa and the third, I don’t know what happened.  I have traveled with all three of these talented people and all very energetic and could run circles around me.  It was a shock to hear of their deaths, very hard to comprehend and process.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

So very sorry, Gen. Goes to show living life to the fullest as you & hubs are doing is the way, because tomorrow isn’t promised.

Thank you Betty.

4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Sorry Gen, always tough when our peers suddenly pass. In the past year, three photographer friends, all I knew well, died in their early 60s.  All seemed to be as fit and healthy as can be.  One had a heart attack while diving in the Azores, one fell while traveling in South Africa and the third, I don’t know what happened.  I have traveled with all three of these talented people and all very energetic and could run circles around me.  It was a shock to hear of their deaths, very hard to comprehend and process.

Sorry to hear that, Michael. A number of years ago, when I was doing travel writing, a friend of mine from Seattle whom I used to meet quite often on press trips, died suddenly on a press trip to Italy. I had travelled with him in Central America just the year before. He was only 57, roughly the same age as I was at the time. It was a real shock. At least he died doing something he loved.

Sorry to learn of your losses Jen and Michael, I'm afraid many of us are reaching an age where this is becoming more common. On our allotment site the longstanding treasurer and secretary both recently passed away, the treasurer due to a very unexpected heart attack. At Saturday's committee meeting we learned that a member was in hospital on end of life care, while another had been diagnosed with dementia. I guess there is an inevitability about this as allotment gardening is typically a retirement pursuit.

However we're all still here.  Live for the present, make every day count !

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Sorry to learn of your losses Jen and Michael, I'm afraid many of us are reaching an age where this is becoming more common. On our allotment site the longstanding treasurer and secretary both recently passed away, the treasurer due to a very unexpected heart attack. At Saturday's committee meeting we learned that a member was in hospital on end of life care, while another had been diagnosed with dementia. I guess there is an inevitability about this as allotment gardening is typically a retirement pursuit.

However we're all still here.  Live for the present, make every day count !

Thank you Bryan. 

Just arrived at this forum and latest posts.

I am very sorry to read of both Gen and Michael's losses.  My sympathies to you both.

Allan

• Like 1

A bad thing happened to me very early today.  At 2.00am, yes this morning, I woke up from a long kip in my comfy chair to go to bed.  I hate that.

Allan

Of course the good thing is I woke up.

ITMA

• Love 1
  • Like 1

A bad thing, but not a terrible thing, is our current weather forecast.  It looks like we are heading into a couple of miserable weeks with low temperatures, overcast skies and even a possibility of more snow. I am hesitating to sow tender plants under cover as I don't know how long I'll have to wait before they can be safely kept under unheated glass. 

However some things can't wait, so today I sowed some chilli peppers and lobelia. They can live on our windowsills until the weather improves. The tomatoes etc will have to be patient. 

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Goodness me. At times like these, I wonder why I opened this post. And I wonder how come I'm still here. Perhaps it's because I don't believe in an after life.

Stay well, Gen and Michael V. 

Edo

I think you've discovered the formula for a long life, Edo:  lotsa pasta + vino + walking. 🍝+🍷+🚶‍♂️

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Apologies Gen, I wanted to be empathetic but I think I came across as "Me Too!".   One thing is for sure, getting older is no fun, at times, and losing our friends and peers takes a toll.  

What are you apologizing for Michael?? I only ever saw your reply as sharing a similar experience. Totally relevant.

As the Aussies would say, no worries.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Goodness me. At times like these, I wonder why I opened this post. And I wonder how come I'm still here. Perhaps it's because I don't believe in an after life.

Stay well, Gen and Michael V. 

Edo

Lately, I seem to have posted in the bad news thread every day. Each time I think oh no, not again.

Usually it's either trivial or funny but that accident really shook me. 

Thank you for your best wishes. Keep well too.

• Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic