Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

17 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

He became king at the very moment when his mother took her last breath, so today's "correlation" is just some very expensive icing on an even more expensive cake.

We are being invited to swear an oath of allegience – called the Homage of the People – during the ceremony. “I swear that I will pay true allegiance to your majesty,” we’re supposed to say, “and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.”  🤮

My plans for the day? To head down to the local wetlands and watch the avocets and spoonbills...

Enjoy your day with nature, John. 😉

11 hours ago, sb photos said:

I was only 2 at the time of the coronation in 1953. We had just moved from Wood Green, London, to Aylesbury, a company house came with the move. I can remember running around an empty house looking into all the rooms and cupboards, then later sitting on the rear kitchen step watching a tractor ploughing what was to be our 100 ft garden before fencing was erected. Cars were no where near so common and it was a safe area to play. A knife sharpener used to pass by still using a horse and cart. No TV at that time. It wasn't until starting school at 5 before I was given a Kodak Brownie and then later used to develop and print films in my fathers darkroom. I still have the early 127 negatives and some small prints from a contact printing frame from before we had an enlarger. How times have changed. Queen Elizabeth visited my home town in 1962, the towns pavements were packed with onlookers. I watched from outside the Grange School as she paid it a visit..

Those were innocent times. It looks as if I missed the latest coronation as well, slept right through it. Oh well, I've never been much for pomp and circumstance anyway. I wish King Charles good luck, though. He's going to need it. 😬

• Love 1

On 06/05/2023 at 13:32, John Mitchell said:

I wish King Charles good luck...

I should think if I were not just an
anglophile, but an Englishman,
I would find royalty smarmy but
tolerable if they only donated
their time to charitable causes.
If they also donated significant
portions
of their wealth to
charitable causes
I would
think them divine...
😇__ 😇__ 😇
but then again there was that
Diane negative PR campaign
to dislike them for...?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
I should think if I were not just an
anglophile, but an Englishman,
I would find royalty smarmy but
tolerable if they only donated
their time to charitable causes.
If they also donated significant
portions
of their wealth to
charitable causes
I would
think them divine...
😇__ 😇__ 😇
but then again there was that
Diane negative PR campaign
to dislike them for...?

Agreed. Their treatment of Diana was appalling.

Yes, less than divine... 👼

On 06/05/2023 at 00:04, John Morrison said:

He became king at the very moment when his mother took her last breath, so today's "correlation" is just some very expensive icing on an even more expensive cake.

We are being invited to swear an oath of allegience – called the Homage of the People – during the ceremony. “I swear that I will pay true allegiance to your majesty,” we’re supposed to say, “and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.”  🤮

My plans for the day? To head down to the local wetlands and watch the avocets and spoonbills...

I certainly would have passed on that invitation. 🤢

Good for Harry...

A day among the spoonbills sounds a lot saner.

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Agreed. Their treatment of Diana was appalling.

Yes, less than divine... 👼

That’s why I didn’t watch. That whole thing was tragic beyond words, & now Diana isn’t around to enjoy her beautiful grandchildren. Her death & how it affected her sons also affected me greatly. I cried for her & I won’t forget what (and who) drove her away.

Visited Oxfordshire yesterday for some photography, and came across a main road through a large village with access blocked off. I knew there was to be a coronation street party by the village pub, but expected it to be pretty low quay. In reality it was huge and vibrant, wish I had arrived earlier for the start. Although a lot of the food had been eaten there was just about enough left on the tables, plus it was interesting talking to the the villagers. Also I managed to upload 9 varied images to Live News. Still have the images I travelled there for to edit and upload later today, but they are more relatively timeless. At least the sun was shining.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2023 at 19:20, John Mitchell said:

I was only four in 1953 and living in the West Indies, where TV's were non-existent. Consequently, I missed the show.

You'd have missed it anyway- transatlantic TV had to wait for Telstar. It would still have been newsreels.

It was even before videotape recording- the BBC itself only has a telerecording (filmed off a monitor).

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

You'd have missed it anyway- transatlantic TV had to wait for Telstar. It would still have been newsreels.

It was even before videotape recording- the BBC itself only has a telerecording (filmed off a monitor).

Yes, they apparently had to develop the film and then fly the cans across the pond. I remember watching newsreels in theatres in London (after the West Indies) when I was a kid.

Edited by John Mitchell

44 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, they apparently had to develop the film and then fly the cans across the pond. I remember watching newsreels in theatres in London (after the West Indies) when I was a kid.

Old telerecordings of shows the BBC didn't retain keep turning up all over the world as TV archives are cleared out. 16mm. was the export format of choice for decades after videotape came it, I imagine in part because the smaller stations didn't have the machines or the staff to run them. Running 2" quadruplex was an expensive business.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Old telerecordings of shows the BBC didn't retain keep turning up all over the world as TV archives are cleared out. 16mm. was the export format of choice for decades after videotape came it, I imagine in part because the smaller stations didn't have the machines or the staff to run them. Running 2" quadruplex was an expensive business.

That's all above my pay grade, but watching flickering 16mm newsreels in a dark theatre was a magical experience for a little kid from the West Indies. One of the first things my father did when we eventually arrived in Canada was run out and buy a Marconi TV, just in times for Elvis, The Beatles, Stones, etc. on the Ed Sullivan Show.

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

That's all above my pay grade, but watching flickering 16mm newsreels in a dark theatre was a magical experience for a little kid from the West Indies. One of the first things my father did when we eventually arrived in Canada was run out and buy a Marconi TV, just in times for Elvis, The Beatles, Stones, etc. on the Ed Sullivan Show.

How are you feeling, John? On the mend, I hope.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

How are you feeling, John? On the mend, I hope.

Feeling better and seemingly on the road to recovery. Thanks for asking. It's a weird virus, though, with unexpected ups and downs.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Feeling better and seemingly on the road to recovery. Thanks for asking. It's a weird virus, though, with unexpected ups and downs.

Yes, not at all typical....glad you are on the mend John!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

That’s what I’ve heard. Michael, (MDM) has probably suffered the worst of that although he developed long Covid. I had RSV after thanksgiving that lasted a month. It was pretty rough.
RSV seems to be a childhood illness, but adults can get it, too, especially seniors. I’m a senior.

At the moment, I’m battling systemic Candida, which began while I was caring for my husband during his long dementia years. Now that I’m not under that stress, it’s not as severe or I’ve learned to recognize it sooner & start meds. Initially, I think I’m having allergies at 1st blush because the first symptom is a runny (watery) nose. It attacks my mouth & respiratory system, especially lungs, & has dropped my blood oxygen levels to 80 at times. It’s like once I got it the first time, it simmers in my body & raises its ugly head into a flare now & then. I think I’ve got this one licked.

Edited by Betty LaRue

15 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That’s what I’ve heard. Michael, (MDM) has probably suffered the worst of that although he developed long Covid. I had RSV after thanksgiving that lasted a month. It was pretty rough.
RSV seems to be a childhood illness, but adults can get it, too, especially seniors. I’m a senior.

At the moment, I’m battling systemic Candida, which began while I was caring for my husband during his long dementia years. Now that I’m not under that stress, it’s not as severe or I’ve learned to recognize it sooner & start meds. Initially, I think I’m having allergies at 1st blush because the first symptom is a runny (watery) nose. It attacks my mouth & respiratory system, especially lungs, & has dropped my blood oxygen levels to 80 at times. It’s like once I got it the first time, it simmers in my body & raises its ugly head into a flair now & then. I think I’ve got this one licked.

That doesn't particularly sound like fun. Hope there are effective treatments.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

That doesn't particularly sound like fun. Hope there are effective treatments.

Nothing that eradicates it. Meds that knock it down into hiding for awhile. Untreated like mine was for awhile with the initial, first time infection, I was as ill as if I had fairly severe Covid, just short of being hospitalized.  I initially was misdiagnosed with bronchitis, so that treatment did zip. Treatment is Fluconazole tabs. 3 total each treatment of one every other day.  That dose works for normal mouth thrush (Candida) but It took me taking one every day for 2 weeks to get mine under control.
Systemic Candida is rare & most doctors have never seen a case or recognize it when they see it.  I researched, made my own diagnosis then my doctor saw the 💡and agreed & started treatment.   By then I was very ill. I think I coughed up my lungs! 😊 it took 3-4 weeks to feel well again. I had 3 severe illnesses 3-5 months apart, before I learned to recognize it early enough to keep it from progressing too far. That’s where I am now, with a flare, taking meds.

17 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Nothing that eradicates it. Meds that knock it down into hiding for awhile. Untreated like mine was for awhile with the initial, first time infection, I was as ill as if I had fairly severe Covid, just short of being hospitalized.  I initially was misdiagnosed with bronchitis, so that treatment did zip. Treatment is Fluconazole tabs. 3 total each treatment of one every other day.  That dose works for normal mouth thrush (Candida) but It took me taking one every day for 2 weeks to get mine under control.
Systemic Candida is rare & most doctors have never seen a case or recognize it when they see it.  I researched, made my own diagnosis then my doctor saw the 💡and agreed & started treatment.   By then I was very ill. I think I coughed up my lungs! 😊 it took 3-4 weeks to feel well again. I had 3 severe illnesses 3-5 months apart, before I learned to recognize it early enough to keep it from progressing too far. That’s where I am now, with a flare, taking meds.

Sorry Betty, as John said, it does not sound like fun at all.  Hope it gets better for you soon!

• Love 1

There are far too few bad things being reported here recently, so I feel the need to interject some gloom !

This bad thing will take place tomorrow.  I have been persuaded to go on a coach trip to a couple of destinations in Yorkshire,  I forget where, Skipton maybe ?  The weather forecast is miserable.   At least I won't have to drive. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bryan said:

There are far too few bad things being reported here recently, so I feel the need to interject some gloom !

This bad thing will take place tomorrow.  I have been persuaded to go on a coach trip to a couple of destinations in Yorkshire,  I forget where, Skipton maybe ?  The weather forecast is miserable.   At least I won't have to drive. 

Better leave your camera at home or else it might turn into the proverbial "busman's holiday." 🙃

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bryan said:

We need the laughing emoji back! 😆

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bryan said:

If any one suggests being pushed down a hill in a bath tub....run!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bryan said:

I visit Skipton and the surrounding area fairly often, and usually have reasonably weather. My sister lives nearby at Gargrave. 

Here's by bad issue for the day. Just logged into the forum, then clicked on all activity, and an error msg popped up, stating there is a problem, contact us. I can still access the forum. Yet another bug/problem.

On 16/05/2023 at 19:41, John Mitchell said:

Better leave your camera at home or else it might turn into the proverbial "busman's holiday." 🙃

Took your advice John and left the a6500 with lenses at home, but packed the little Sony RX100 V. The sun briefly shone in Pateley Bridge, home of what is alleged to be England's oldest sweet shop. Bought a used paperback from a charity shop in Skipton and read it on the way home, something you can't do while driving. Overall not too bad a day !

the-oldest-sweet-shop-in-england-on-pate

Edited by Bryan

• Alamy locked this topic