April Challenge SOCIAL GATHERING

Colin Woods

Greetings all

There is only one topic in the whole world at the moment, the virus that just keeps on giving. One of the hardest things for many people to deal with is staying in - we are gregarious creatures after all and we naturally group together. The challenge for April then is exactly the opposite of our lockdown, stay at home orders. Its SOCIAL GATHERING. It can be a few people up to a whole crowd, just as long as they are all engaged in a common social activity. As usual there is a maximum of three entries per person and they have to be on your Alamy collection. Entries will close at midnight on the 30th April and I will choose eight finalists. And to be clear to any new challenge accepters who might not know how it works, if you win then you get to set the next challenge. I will post a few images to give you an idea, then you can leap into your AIM and start searching.

People dancing at the Festival Nuits D'Afrique in Montreal Stock Photo

People dancing at the Nuits D'Afrique festival in Montreal.

Children on a farm reaching through a fence to touch a black calf Stock Photo

Kids reaching out for a calf on a farm visit.

An outdoors yoga class at Mont Sainte Anne in Quebec Canada Stock Photo

Outdoor yoga class.

Looking forward to your entries, and to be able to indulge in group activities again. Except outdoors yoga - there is enough sadness in life already without me adding to it by turning out in public in yoga tights sticking my butt in the air.

Colin

Edited by Colin Woods
  • Love 2

This was harder than I thought it would be! I think I need to revisit some keywords...

1) A bubble artist with kids in Central Park, NYC

RJD5P8.jpg

2) Sailors from a docked ship gather in the French Quarter in New Orleans 

P13DBC.jpg

3) Portuguese dancers in Providence, RI

M9DMNB.jpg

Edited by Lori Rider
  • Love 1

bride-and-groom-framed-by-woman-in-traditional-outfit-part-of-traditional-wedding-parade-calenda-de-bodas-on-the-streets-of-oaxaca-2ARDN0N.jpg

Wedding parade in Oaxaca, Mexico.

bucharest-romania-10th-august-2019-german-pianist-davide-martello-plays-piano-for-the-crowd-of-protesters-at-the-anti-corruption-manifestation-martello-cancelled-other-concerts-to-specifically-attend-the-event-which-takes-place-on-the-anniversary-of-last-years-violent-confrontation-in-the-city-credit-jf-pelletieralamy-live-news-W8P1B8.jpg

Pianist Davide Martello plays  for the crowd of protesters at the Anti corruption manifestation in Bucharest

split-croatia-actors-dressed-as-roman-guards-performing-for-tourists-posing-with-male-tourist-pointing-swords-at-him-while-wife-takes-picture-W1EFJ5.jpg

Split Croatia. Actors dressed as roman guards performing for tourists (off from a cruiseship).  Something we will likely not see for a long time

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1

Congrats Colin, loved your winning photo!  Nice challenge. Here are my three.

1) A whole lot of sweaty bodies at Carnival in Port of Spain, Trinidad 

caribbean-trinidad-carnival-parade-AA904Y.jpg

2) Cajun music and dancing in Eunice, Louisiana, USA

usa-louisiana-la-cajun-country-eunice-liberty-theater-live-radio-show-B1CHDR.jpg

3) A social gathering chiseled in a time long ago, Paris, France

france-paris-the-palais-garnier-opra-de-paris-or-opra-garnier-but-BK7J9K.jpg

• Love 1

1. The 'Hot Potatoes' playing during the Jazz Festival in Kiama, New South Wales, Australia

HTPP6M.jpg

2. Salsa dancing during the Brisbane Music Festival

WJY7NM.jpg

3. Dragon boat regatta, Lake Illawarra, New South Wales, Australia

FXJG7D.jpg

Turning "social distancing" on its head -- terrific idea.

Here are my three:

Sharing secrets in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

mexican-children-peering-into-a-fountain

Mennonite singing group, Vancouver, Canada

a-mennonite-choir-performing-in-downtown

Canada Day disco dancers, Vancouver, BC

people-disco-dancing-outdoors-at-canada-

• Love 1

Yes, lets see some people!

crowd at the Natsu Matsuri, summer festifal at the Nunose shrine in Osaka Japan:

crowd-at-the-natsu-matsuri-summer-festif

People crossing the street in Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan, at night:

people-crossing-the-street-in-shinjuku-t

Two men sit on the Blue Chairs on the Promenade Des Anglais in Nice France and watch the beachgoers:

two-men-sit-on-the-blue-chairs-on-the-pr

And this is it for me this month.

Good luck everybody.

• Love 3

I typed in 'people' in my catalogue and it came back with 1000's! 

I typed in 'crowd' and it came back with hundreds of images illustrating people mostly being very anti-social!

Some happier ones:

Color Run finale event:

the-color-run-london-wembley-park-2017-colour-run-space-for-copy-JBHN2G.jpg

Pillow fighting in Trafalgar Square:

a-pillow-fight-in-trafalgar-square-is-an-annual-event-organised-by-EK14XD.jpg

Sadiq Khan taking a selfie with fans at a march 4 women rally:

sadiq-khan-mayor-of-london-meeting-the-public-after-the-march-4-women-M70602.jpg

• Love 2

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Canada Day disco dancers, Vancouver, BC

people-disco-dancing-outdoors-at-canada-

Nice shot.  likely not something we will see this year.  Montreal has already cancelled St-Jean-Baptiste and Canada day celebrations for this year (no public event until July 2)

Photographers in the crowd....I was the official photographer at this event, The Good Friday Passion play in Adeje, something I've been commissioned to do for the last 3 years along with other Easter celebrations in the municipality. Unfortunately all cancelled this year. Big loss of income for me this month...😒

MAK8DJ.jpg

Pink ticker tape explodes over the crowd at the annual Walk for Life in Adeje/Arona, fundraising for breast cancer charities.

2AFEC99.jpg

Crowd at a CND rally in London in the 1980's, scan from 35mm slide.

FKE20T.jpg

Phil

Audience at Glasgow's West End Festival in Kelvingrove Park

Audience at Glasgow's West End Festival 2010 in Kelvingrove Park. - Stock Image

The Lions of Punjab, a Bhangra dancing troupe, perform an energetic routine to an appreciative audience in Birmingham's Bullring Shopping Centre.

The Lions of Punjab, a Bhangra dancing troupe, perform an energetic routine to an appreciative audience in Birmingham's Bullring Shopping Centre. - Stock Image

Antemoro farmers with their bullocks at the Wednesday Zebu cattle market in Ambalavao, Haute Matsiatra; the largest cattle market in Madagascar.

Antemoro farmers with their bullocks at the Wednesday Zebu cattle market in Ambalavao, Haute Matsiatra; largest cattle market in Madagascar. - Stock Image

Congratulations on your win, Colin. I really liked your photo, and also think this is a super idea for this month’s challenge. Many fantastic photos already, and seeing all the crowds kind of makes me nervous, 😷

Board walk at Coney Island, New York.

large-crowd-of-people-walking-on-the-boa

Celebrating the 159th anniversary of the Milan, Italy police force.

female-officer-faces-assembly-of-police-

Canal Saint-Martin, Paris.

crowds-throng-to-the-canal-saint-martin-

Crowd scene people waiting to see street entertainer in action

crowd-scene-people-waiting-to-see-street-entertainer-in-action-cambridge-D65TH1.jpg

Heavy traffic of punts at Bridge of Sighs St Johns College

heavy-traffic-of-punts-at-bridge-of-sighs-st-johns-college-cambridge-2019-T594PM.jpg

People dining al fresco at City centre restaurant

people-dining-al-fresco-at-city-centre-restaurant-market-hill-cambridge-2019-2A3GGDT.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Nice shot.  likely not something we will see this year.  Montreal has already cancelled St-Jean-Baptiste and Canada day celebrations for this year (no public event until July 2)

Merci. Yes, not likely. I didn't realize that Quebec still celebrates Canada Day. 😁

3 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

It certainly does. Except almost nobody turns up.

Probably no one at all will show this year, myself included. I was part of the great Anglo diaspora of the early 70's ("Go west, young man!"). Mind you, I still love Montreal and try to visit every year in the late summer or early fall when the weather is civilized. I'll miss going back to Quebec this year if the travel restrictions remain for months on end, which could easily happen.

Edited by John Mitchell

I will miss visiting Montreal as well, I have friends there, and relatives in the Eastern Townships.

I'll also miss the Cherry Blossom Festival in Vancouver.   The night event in Queen Elizabeth Park was very interesting.

Queen Elizabeth Park, Vancouver, BC, Canada. 15th Apr, 2017. Colourful illuminations of the ornamental cherry blossoms Stock Photo

I wonder what Niagara Falls looks like now?

Crowds of tourists watch and take photos of Niagara Falls from the Canadian side. Group of people viewing the Horseshoe Stock Photo

Convocation at Simon Fraser University.  The pipers lead the way.

BURNABY, BC, CANADA.  JUNE 12, 2014:  Simon Fraser University graduands walk in procession towards the Convocation Stock Photo

My 3:

Evening or night time view of a wedding party outside in the grounds of the Mena House Hotel, Giza, Cairo, Egypt, North Africa

evening-or-night-time-view-of-a-wedding-party-outside-in-the-grounds-M5CFKJ.jpg

A line of walkers on an organised walk across a field in the countryside

a-line-of-walkers-on-an-organised-walk-across-a-field-in-the-countryside-GH2T0C.jpg

A party of walkers, ramblers or hikers at the Krimml Waterfalls Austria

a-party-of-walkers-ramblers-or-hikers-at-the-krimml-waterfalls-austria-G0XREP.jpg

John.