April Challenge SOCIAL GATHERING

Colin Woods

edinburgh-aug-6-massed-pipes-drums-on-the-grounds-of-edinburgh-castle-C13DWM.jpg

Massed Pipes & Drums  during the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo, Scotland

niantic-connecticut-july-6-2012-a-crowd-at-mccooks-point-park-watches-CMB140.jpg

Crowds watch as United States Navy hovercraft lands on Hole in the Wall beach in Niantic, Connecticut during OpSail 2012 opening day celebrations, commemorating the bicentennial of the War of 1812 

former-us-president-bill-clinton-shakes-hands-amidst-a-smiling-crowd-BPFMFH.jpg

US President Bill Clinton reaches out to shake hands amidst a smiling crowd after the Memorial Day Parade in his hometown (and mine) Chappaqua New York. I doubt we'll be having the parade this year with over 18,000 cases in Westchester County where I live as of April 10. 

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 1

Hopefully Social Gathering images are not confined to humans? I thought I'd look at social gatherings in the marine world.

A gathering of shrimps cleaning a pufferfish
map-puffer-arothron-mappa-being-cleaned-by-urocaridella-antonbruunii-E3TCBB.jpg

A school of catfish - 
striped-catfish-plotosus-lineatus-school-of-juveniles-swimming-together-B1GGD0.jpg

A pack of sharks

pack-of-blacktip-reef-sharks-carcharhinus-melanopterus-and-grey-reef-A4MJ7J.jpg

• Love 6

Congratulations on your win, Colin. Here's 3 from me.

Chinese New Year celebrations in Woking, Surrey, UK:

dancers-in-colourful-costumes-in-a-show-at-the-chinese-new-year-celebrations-in-february-2019-in-woking-town-centre-surrey-uk-RK9HKG.jpg

A group of visitors at Avebury Stone Circle touching the neolithic stones, which some people believe to have healing energies:

visitors-at-avebury-stone-circle-touching-and-hugging-the-neolitihic-stones-for-the-magnetic-energy-and-healing-powers-wiltshire-england-uk-2AGC4TY.jpg

Participants in the Farnborough winter half-marathon, UK, which starts under the old airship hangar:

farnborough-hampshire-uk-21-january-2018-sleet-and-snow-for-the-2nd-M0DCEJ.jpg

Water park, downtown Oklahoma City.

EWXY98.jpg

Vintage 1944 Union Pacific steam engine visiting Oklahoma, and the crowd come to see it.

B5WCC9.jpg
Budweiser beer wagon pulled by Clydesdale horses, Centennial parade, Guthrie, Oklahoma.

AM30EM.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

#1 - Reading Prison exterior, Reading, Berkshire, England, GB, UK.

Reading Prison exterior, Reading, Berkshire, England, GB, UK. Stock Photo

#2 - Fund-raisers dressed as Santas cycled in the 'Santa Cycle', part of the annual 'Santa Dash' to raise money for the Thames Hospice charity.
Fund-raisers dressed as Santas cycled in the 'Santa Cycle', part of the annual 'Santa Dash' to raise money for the Stock Photo

#3 - Aldermaston, Berkshire, England, GB, UK. 9th August 2014. A 7 mile (11km) long hand-knitted 'scarf' was unrolled along the route from the Atomic Weapons Establishment at Aldermaston to AWE Burghfield today, as Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) knitters called for Nuclear weapons system, Trident, and any possible replacement to be scrapped. This ahead of an expected Parliamentary vote in 2016 on whether the government should spend over £100 billion on a new nuclear weapons system. Credit: Danny Callcut / Alamy Live News
Aldermaston, Berkshire, England, GB, UK. 9th August 2014. A 7 mile (11km) long hand-knitted 'scarf' was unrolled Stock Photo
Edited by losdemas

When I think about the dozens and dozens of events that I covered last year that won’t be happening this year, it is very sad, especially the book, fringe and international festivals in Edinburgh in August. Here are a few from last year.

Wartime Experience Day, National Museum of Flight

museum-of-flight-east-fortune-east-lothi

Jousting event at Linlithgow Palace

linlithgow-palace-west-lothian-scotland-

An extinction rebellion protest at the Scottish Parliament

extinction-rebellion-climate-change-prot

Edited by Sally

Spectators on the terraces of Ernest Wallon stadium, home ground of Stade Toulousain rugby union team, Toulouse, Haute-Garonne, Occitanie, France.

Allez Stade!

spectators-on-the-terraces-of-ernest-wallon-stadium-home-ground-of-KKA02G.jpg

Herbert Graedtke as 'Bacchus' with wine queen and princesses at Radebeul Herbst und Weinfest, Sachsen, Saxony, Germany

Pretty social as I recall......a seller too.......

herbert-graedtke-as-bacchus-with-wine-queen-and-princesses-at-radebeul-D01TE3.jpg

Demo, Oviedo, Asturias, Spain.

An in- camera pano that actually worked out. It was actually wider than it displays on the forum.

demonstration-march-in-favour-of-educational-equality-calle-uria-oviedo-J7T0PX.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

Hi Colin; congrats on your win and appropriate choice of topic! Here are mine:

view-of-crowds-watching-the-astronomical-clock-from-above-town-hall-AP11PB.jpg

1. Old Town Square,Prague; people waiting to see the Astronomical clock in action

a-costumed-character-traveling-on-a-water-bus-the-carnival-venice-C1KDXM.jpg

2. People travelling on a water bus during the Venice Carnival (note the face mask!)

siem-reap-pub-street-at-night-crowded-with-tourists-going-out-eating-and-drinking-pub-street-siem-reap-cambodia-asia-MCCTGT.jpg

3. Crowds out for the bars and restaurants, Pub Street, Siem Reap, Cambodia

Kumar

Morris men killing time as they wait to dance at Sidmouth Folk Week.

Sidmouth, UK. 6th August, 2017.  Musicians and dancers wait to perform on Sidmouth seafront at the town's annual Stock Photo

Guitars On The Beach, Lyme Regis.

Lyme Regis, Dorset, UK. 6th September, 2014. Guitarists from all over the UK got together today for Guitars on the Stock Photo

Impromptu social gathering during a sudden downpour in Sidmouth.

A crowd of people huddle together and shelter from the rain under a shop awning in Sidmouth, Devon. Stock Photo

Edited by TeeCee
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, TeeCee said:

A crowd of people huddle together and shelter from the rain under a shop awning in Sidmouth, Devon. Stock Photo

I suppose the shop was full and they had to stay outside.

Great image.

Allan

• Like 1

Good Friday procession from 2017.   This year, the Catholic Church called off all religious gatherings and parades and did services on line or on religious television stations.   My street generally gets all the religious processions which have been more and more common in recent years.

good-friday-religious-procession-2017-J1TCDD.jpg
  • Love 1

On 20/04/2020 at 04:36, TeeCee said:

Morris men killing time as they wait to dance at Sidmouth Folk Week.

Sidmouth, UK. 6th August, 2017.  Musicians and dancers wait to perform on Sidmouth seafront at the town's annual Stock Photo

Guitars On The Beach, Lyme Regis.

Lyme Regis, Dorset, UK. 6th September, 2014. Guitarists from all over the UK got together today for Guitars on the Stock Photo

TeeCee, you just may have the winner here. Great capture. I like the two tall people seeing to the shoulder of the lady standing between them. Bug bite? Bruise from knocking into a door frame? The question just hangs there.

• Like 1

Three from Me

May Day - cancelled this year

G0JYH1.jpg

Green Peace & Berliners protest outside US Embassy after President Donald Trump announces withdrawal from the Paris Climate change agreement

J9HBFR.jpg

Berlin Marathon 2015

F30X6G.jpg

On 10/04/2020 at 09:52, Stokie said:

My 3:

Evening or night time view of a wedding party outside in the grounds of the Mena House Hotel, Giza, Cairo, Egypt, North Africa

evening-or-night-time-view-of-a-wedding-party-outside-in-the-grounds-M5CFKJ.jpg

A line of walkers on an organised walk across a field in the countryside

a-line-of-walkers-on-an-organised-walk-across-a-field-in-the-countryside-GH2T0C.jpg

A party of walkers, ramblers or hikers at the Krimml Waterfalls Austria

a-party-of-walkers-ramblers-or-hikers-at-the-krimml-waterfalls-austria-G0XREP.jpg

John.

I would like to substitute the photo below instead of the one above of the Austria walkers.

Masses of tourists watching the sun rise over Angkor Wat, Cambodia, Asia

masses-of-tourists-watching-the-sun-rise-over-angkor-wat-cambodia-asia-2AX8W3H.jpg