February 2020 Challenge -- SUSTAINABILITY

John Mitchell

Inspiration struck quickly, so I thought I might as well get the ball rolling...

These days there is a lot of talk (and maybe not enough action) about "sustainability" -- e.g. sustainable architecture, sustainable agriculture, sustainable tourism, etc. Consequently, I thought this might make a timely topic for the February challenge. I'm sure that there is a wide range of "sustainable" images out there, so let's see what you have to offer.

The usual rules apply: no more than three images, and the contest ends on the last day of the month at midnight GMT.

Good luck and have fun. Here are three examples of what I have in mind:

SUSTAINABLE URBAN ARCHITECTURE

Rooftop gardens on modern office buildings in downtown Vancouver, BC, Canada - Stock Image

SUSTAINABLE BURGERS

Package of Beyond Meat plant-based Beyond Burger patties for sale in a grocery store in Vancouver, BC, Canada - Stock Image

SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTATION

Man riding a reclining bicycle at the Car Free Day festival on Main Street in Vancouver, British Columbia Stock Photo
Edited by John Mitchell
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Not an easy topic, but here are my offerings.

On Boxing Day Lee Craigie - the Scottish cycling Tsar as she has been dubbed - set off to cycle from Edinburgh to Copenhagen by New Years Eve on a cargo bike to highlight sustainable travel. She just made it, taking turns with her partner. 
east-lothian-scotland-united-kingdom-26-

Edinburgh police try out a cargo bike

edinburgh-scotland-united-kingdom-21st-j

An electric vehicle charging point

electric-vehicle-car-recharging-point-ea

• Love 1

Three from me

a-man-with-twins-on-a-bike-cycling-in-a-street-in-haarlem-withn-the-A7AGWW.jpg

Yes you can take two kids on a bike - in Haarlem, Holland.

a-kettle-of-water-being-heated-on-a-parabolic-solar-reflector-in-the-HR25N4.jpg

Parabolic mirrors using sunshine to boil water - Nepal

The massive Daniel Johnson Dam, also known as manic 5, on the Manicougan river in Quebec Canada. It is the largest dam of its type in the world Stock Photo

The huge Manic 5 dam near Baie Comeau in Quebec
Edited by Colin Woods
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Sustainable transport, take your pick, Gdañsk

A tough choice, I have 109 pix of trams! Maybe that'll be my theme if I win.

a-man-on-a-bicycle-with-a-tram-approaching-in-snow-plac-solidarnisci-gdask-poland-RJP149.jpg

"Another Place "sculpture by Antony Gormley, Burbo Bank wind farm, Blundellsands, Merseyside

another-place-antony-gormleys-statues-on-crosby-beach-liverpool-merseyside-C5YJ3Y.jpg

Recycling sign, Xikou, China

chinese-mandarin-recycling-sign-on-a-rubbish-bin-BN80WK.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
aspect ratio
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Congratulations on your win!
Interesting topic. I now see I’ve got another subject weakness in my collection!  

Renovated, repurposed, eco friendly building, 18th Arrondissement, Paris.

sign-over-the-renovated-halle-pajol-pajo

Recycling station, 19th Arrondissement, Paris.

plastic-recycling-and-garbage-bins-with-

Electric postal vehicle, 11th Arrondissement, Paris

french-postal-service-electric-delivery-

Edited by Cecile Marion

I guess all my trips would fall under the category of "eco-travel". I've been twice to the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage where they are bringing up baby elephants who have been orphaned. Elephants are wonderful in many ways and help to sustain other wildlife where they live. They can smell water underground and will dig (with their feet) a waterhole that is also used by other animals. It is thought that if we lose them we will also lose a lot of other animals.

Baby elephants coming to the nursery for their milk....

DC2C1C.jpg

Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage

This little elephant was rescued from a well when  she was only a few days old. She has had delicate health and is older now and learning about living with wild elephants at a reintegration unit that is very lush and easier for the weaker elephants. Her name is Shurkuru and I foster her. She is wearing a blanket to protect her skin from the sun. If she were with her mother and herd she would be in their shade all the time.

D8B3G1.jpg

Baby elephant with blanket protecting her skin from the sun.

The milk they get is a special formula that Daphne Sheldrick created with trial and error. Villagers have been warned not to give them cow milk because it will kill them..

F6T1K6.jpg

Baby elephant drinking from a bottle...

Paulette

My three..

Assorted rubbish bins at Heathrow airport so that rubbish can be recycled.

rubbish-bins-at-heathrow-airport-so-that-passengers-can-sort-their-rubbish-into-different-types-of-recycling-2A6TE5G.jpg

A man in Busan, South Korea pushes a cart of cardboard which he has collected to be recycled.

a-man-pushes-a-cart-across-a-pedestrian-which-is-loaded-with-old-cardboard-boxes-R0JFNM.jpg

Solar panels on the roof of a house

a-view-of-the-rear-of-a-home-with-solar-panels-fitted-H8NDB1.jpg

Edited by Matt Ashmore
  • Like 1

Hi there,

I like this topic, great idea.

And finally a topic for which I can find some images in my small portfolio.

Here come me three:

Recycling of aluminium cans:

crushed-and-compressed-aluminium-cans-fo

Commuters on pushbikes in Tokyo Japan:

people-on-bicycles-and-pedestrian-stoppe

solar panels and hot water system on a house roof:

solar-panels-and-hot-water-system-on-a-c

At that's all for me.

• Like 1

Three from me...good topic

Vegan burgers and seating made from recycled materials

swing-kitchen-vegan-burger-restaurant-in-rosenthaler-str-mitte-berlin-W3XA7N.jpg

Solar power used at Blackfriars railway station

blackfriars-railway-bridge-across-the-river-thames-with-solar-heating-G76227.jpg

Energy harvesting pathway

The 26 square metre installation acquires its energy from the footsteps of people.berlin-germany-13th-october-2017-people-enjoy-an-energy-harvesting-KDE520.jpg

• Like 1

Great challenge John!

1) The Mrs promoting sustainable transport SUSTRANS

smiling-sustrans-woman-volunteer-sitting

2 Sustainable fishing - a lobster hatchery

firth-of-forth-lobster-hatchery-at-north

3) Sustainable energy - Street light powered by a solar panel and a wind turbine

a-combined-wind-turbine-and-solar-panel-

Edited by Bryan

8 hours ago, Eden said:

Energy harvesting pathway

The 26 square metre installation acquires its energy from the footsteps of people.berlin-germany-13th-october-2017-people-enjoy-an-energy-harvesting-KDE520.jpg

That's a very cool idea. Imagine something like this installed beneath the busy sidewalks of big cities. It could generate a lot of usable energy.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

That's a very cool idea. Imagine something like this installed beneath the busy sidewalks of big cities. It could generate a lot of usable energy.

I thought so..great idea for the future :-)

I fostered a Monarch chrysalis indoors in the fall, protecting it from predators.  Monarch butterflies numbers have gone down drastically in the last decade. This is the newly emerged butterfly drying its wings before being released outdoors to join the migration south. It’s clinging to a wooden spoon laid across the opened top of the butterfly cage.

I almost felt like I’d given birth! 😊

2A3Y14D.jpg

A windmill in the countryside of Kansas pumping water by using natural wind power.

PHWF22.jpg

Last, a garage sale where items are re-homed instead of ending up in the dump. Much of this was given to charity.

BWRD56.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1