Images sold in February 2020

hotel-clarion-helsinki-and-surrounding-b

Hotel Clarion Helsinki and surrounding buildings in Jätkäsaari district of Helsinki, Finland

Jätkäsaari (literally Docker Island) was a container harbor until 2008. I used to work there at late 80's and early 90's. It has been interesting to watch the area slowly turning into residential district. All the old brick warehouses - like the one where I used to work - have been saved, so I'm cool with the change.

Not sure how cool I am with the net $ 5.36 I got out of the deal, gross being $ 17.86.  Germany, Newspaper - national, in context web usage included.

Haven't found it yet, so I don't know if they were interested in Jätkäsaari district or Hotel Clarion.

• Like 1

5 sales dropped in today.

4 of the same subject which I shot specifically as it was on Alamy wanted pictures list. No cost involved, save the price of fuel to drive a few kms as it was in my home town.

The 5th one below was the beach I had access to from my garden while I lived in Kiama. Again, no cost.

Country: Worldwide ; Usage: Editorial ;  Media: Examination papers - print and electronic ;

Mid $$ - To the UK

J44R9D.jpg

Edit: I lied. A 6th sale just dropped in...

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1
  • Like 4

Usage: Editorial
Media: Book, print and/or e-book
Print run: up to 5,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 01 January 2020
End: 01 January 2025
Germany, Book, print and/or e-book, Bulk Discount, Flat Rate

Low mid $$ but a distro, so I get the price of the round of drinks, just. Viez is cider btw.

a-glass-of-merziger-viez-cider-on-a-bar-saarburg-rheinland-pfalz-germany-F5JTHT.jpg

• Love 1

Second sale of the month

Maturing onion bulbs and foliage of the heritage variety 'Ailsa Craig' Stock Photo

Country: Australia ; Usage: iQ sale: Magazine, Editorial print and digital use. Any size. Any placement. Repeat use. ;  Industry Sector: Media, design & publishing ;  Start: 07-February-2020 ; End: 07-February-2022

Moderate $$

The buyer obviously knows their onions 😀

RF $$ Corporate client. Marketing Package Use

New superhighway being built in Ontario. A series of construction shots, taken that day, have been used several times. The shots were taken from a brand new bridge built to span the future highway. Aerial drone shot, without a drone, resulting in a higher quality 50 megapixel file using the Canon 5DS. Spent a morning driving up and down sideroads near the construction, looking for a bridge with a view. Shooting with cross lighting made things look dustier. This image was not zoomed, but sold anyway. 

highway-407e-construction-excavation-tru

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

hotel-clarion-helsinki-and-surrounding-b

Hotel Clarion Helsinki and surrounding buildings in Jätkäsaari district of Helsinki, Finland

Jätkäsaari (literally Docker Island) was a container harbor until 2008. I used to work there at late 80's and early 90's. It has been interesting to watch the area slowly turning into residential district. All the old brick warehouses - like the one where I used to work - have been saved, so I'm cool with the change.

Not sure how cool I am with the net $ 5.36 I got out of the deal, gross being $ 17.86.  Germany, Newspaper - national, in context web usage included.

Haven't found it yet, so I don't know if they were interested in Jätkäsaari district or Hotel Clarion.

Could by about norwegian Petter Stordalen who owns the Clarion chain. Big name in  the Nordic countries, Multi Millionaire, recent divorce and so on.

8 hours ago, gvallee said:

5 sales dropped in today.

4 of the same subject which I shot specifically as it was on Alamy wanted pictures list. No cost involved, save the price of fuel to drive a few kms as it was in my home town.

The 5th one below was the beach I had access to from my garden while I lived in Kiama. Again, no cost.

Country: Worldwide ; Usage: Editorial ;  Media: Examination papers - print and electronic ;

Mid $$ - To the UK

J44R9D.jpg

Edit: I lied. A 6th sale just dropped in...

interesting about the picture needs, I've had no luck so far.  

without going in details, was this a generic image eg. Building xyz or a specific eg. 2 bowls of salsa with one with bottle of Tabasco sauce (from memory 😉)  type.

First for February, direct sale, mid $$

C57AMT.jpg

Usage: Editorial

Media: Editorial website

Industry Sector: Media, design & publishing

Start: 07-February-2020

End: 07-February-2025

Additional Details: Non-exclusive, archival rights in perpetuity. Single editorial placement, multiple digital platforms.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

interesting about the picture needs, I've had no luck so far.  

without going in details, was this a generic image eg. Building xyz or a specific eg. 2 bowls of salsa with one with bottle of Tabasco sauce (from memory 😉)  type.

The request was a picture of a specific building. It's the second time I've been lucky with those requests. Being a nature lover, shooting in town does not come naturally, I needed an impetus. Glad I tried.

• Love 1

Evening or night time view of A wedding party outside in the grounds of the Mena House Hotel, Giza, Cairo, Egypt, North Africa

M5CFKJ.jpg

High $$

Country: Worldwide ; Usage: iQ sale: Single company - multiple use editorial only ;  Industry Sector: Media, design & publishing ;  Start: 07-February-2020 ; Duration: In perpetuity

John.

• Love 1

blue-house-grade-i-historic-building-in-

Blue House in Hong Kong. Hesitated about uploading this one. It's not very good, but for some reason there is not much competition and my image comes first with search for Blue House Hong Kong. Shot year ago.

Can be found here: https://www.cntraveler.com/activities/hong-kong/blue-house

Usage: Magazine, Editorial print and digital use. Any size.Any Placement.Repeat use within a single issue.

$ 25 direct sale, so I got $ 12.5. Personally I wouldn't have paid that much.

• Like 2

I think this is my first postcard license.  It's of Victoria, BC.   It was zoomed several times last year, including by image #, and this is the first reported sale.  $$

Usage: Consumer goods
Media: Postcards
Print run: over 100,000

P9YNNW.jpg

• Love 3

21 hours ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:
21 hours ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

$ 25 direct sale, so I got $ 12.5. Personally I wouldn't have paid that much.

I know (I hope) you were kidding. First it is a fine image but more importantly it is an image that a buyer needed (and you had it!) and price is based on use not quality of the photo.  

Though I  should add that the quality of a photo may produce higher fees in that they may get used larger or on covers or in other higher profile uses.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I know (I hope) you were kidding. First it is a fine image but more importantly it is an image that a buyer needed (and you had it!) and price is based on use not quality of the photo.  

Though I  should add that the quality of a photo may produce higher fees in that they may get used larger or on covers or in other higher profile uses.

You beat me to it, Michael. If an image licenses, then it's a good image; plus if it's a relatively scarce subject, then it should be worth more.

Actually, I think it's a successful image regardless. Photographing in dense urban environments is always challenging. The lighting never seems quite right, cars and other distractions appear out of nowhere, etc. I like the "Blue House" image. All the elements and colours fit together well, plus it gives an accurate sense of what that area of HK is like.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, MariaJ said:

I think this is my first postcard license.  It's of Victoria, BC.   It was zoomed several times last year, including by image #, and this is the first reported sale.  $$

Usage: Consumer goods
Media: Postcards
Print run: over 100,000

P9YNNW.jpg

Quintessential Victoria. Very nice composition. All that's missing are Meg and Harry. 😁

• Love 1

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

You beat me to it, Michael. If an image licenses, then it's a good image; plus if it's a relatively scarce subject, then it should be worth more.

Actually, I think it's a successful image regardless. Photographing in dense urban environments is always challenging. The lighting never seems quite right, cars and other distractions appear out of nowhere, etc. I like the "Blue House" image. All the elements and colours fit together well, plus it gives an accurate sense of what that area of HK is like.

OK, I admit the Blue House itself looks fine, but I hate the white space above where the sky should be. Same goes for the whitish building behind. I was still shooting JPGs at the time, so there was not much I could do afterwards. Changed my ways now. 

Naturally I'm happy to take what ever is paid. The more, the merrier. 

I find it strange how few images there were about the building, it is listed Grade I historic building after all. And the few images there are... well, they're not much superior to mine. Mine is first (at least now, after zoom and sale), so it could be also a case of lazy search. 😀

Edited by JaniMarkus Hasa
"mere" to "more"

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Quintessential Victoria. Very nice composition. All that's missing are Meg and Harry. 😁

Thanks John.  I've taken lots of photos of the Empress hotel over the years, and for that photo I finally managed to capture a moment without a ton of traffic on the street and rows of parked tour buses in front (which is usually the case).  No celebrities though :)