July 2019 Favorite Uploads

Such amazing shots everyone!  Glad to see the discussion about ISO.  I shot about 500 photos at the Lights For Liberty protest in Berkeley on Friday, which took place on a pedestrian bridge over an eight lane highway.  A few pictures are really beautiful but I got home and realized none of them would pass QC because the best photos were taken at magic hour or later, and I do not yet have control over the manual controls on my camera, including setting the ISO manually.  SO IN OVER MY HEAD.  😁  I was moving quickly because the event was only an hour so I just grabbed what I could.  I submitted two and they passed QC!!!  Thrilled, and maybe I'll upload a couple more.

Protestor on the Berkeley Pedestrian Bridge over Highway 80, looking south, as part of the Lights For Liberty vigil to protest US detention camps. Stock Photo

Protestor on the Berkeley Pedestrian Bridge over Highway 80, looking south, as part of the Lights For Liberty vigil to protest US detention camps. Stock Photo

Editing this to add specs. 

both photos:

ISO 3200

F4.5

1/125

shot with Sony a6000 zoom lens

woohoo!

Edited by The Blinking Eye
add specs

Gargoyle Valley in Banff National Park.  Big mountain is Mt. Louis, one of big prizes in Mountain Climber community.  First climb in 1916 by legendary Conrad Kain and Albert MacCarthy was a landmark achievement

rugged-mountain-rock-landscape-and-drama

Stitched vertical pano of 4 frames,  ISO 160 ,  F8  1/100 sec exposure, handheld, B&W polarizer.

Canon EOS 6D and 24-105L lens.   Postprocessed in CS6;   used HDR tonning and it actually worked quite well.

It will never sell because Alamy doesn't like mountain landscapes, but I like it. So there 😉

Edited by Autumn Sky
  • Love 3

13 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Gargoyle Valley in Banff National Park.  Big mountain is Mt. Louis, one of big prizes in Mountain Climber community.  First climb in 1916 by legendary Conrad Kain and Albert MacCarthy was a landmark achievement

rugged-mountain-rock-landscape-and-drama

Stitched vertical pano of 4 frames,  ISO 160 ,  F8  1/100 sec exposure, handheld, B&W polarizer.

Canon EOS 6D and 24-105L lens.   Postprocessed in CS6;   used HDR tonning and it actually worked quite well.

It will never sell because Alamy doesn't like mountain landscapes, but I like it. So there 😉

Hear, hear, Autumn Sky! You could have spent the day photographing tin-openers and guaranteed yourself a sale at some point, but that's a fine image and your artistic integrity remains firmly intact!

Guitar legend John Williams performed at the old chapel around the corner last week.

PS Mirrorless camera with silent mode = 78 uploads; friend with traditional DSLR ('CLICK,CLICK,CLICK') zero pictures.

W36NXY.jpg

Edited by British Gent

St Pauls Carnival, Bristol, UK. It was extremely hot, and a local resident had used her hosepipe to cool down everyone within range. A drummer from the carnival procession took over the hose. What caught my eye was the group of children on the left. Some looked worried they would get wet, and the boy looked as if he was eagerly looking forward to it.        

W36E4F.jpg

Beef Plan Movement protest in Dublin.  Pic sold once - so far!

dublin-ireland-10th-july-2019-thousands-of-farmers-descended-on-leinster-house-today-in-protest-at-the-mercosur-deal-which-farmers-claim-will-be-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-for-their-way-of-life-credit-andy-gibsonalamy-live-news-W2PRPA.jpg

I arranged this pic with some classical musicians who were swimming earlier in the day.  Pic sold a couple of times to local papers.
bantry-west-cork-ireland-4th-july-2019-bantry-is-hosting-the-west-cork-chamber-music-festival-this-week-which-brings-classical-musicians-from-far-and-wide-to-play-at-the-various-concerts-in-the-town-violin-player-kate-fleming-and-cellist-callum-owens-both-from-cork-played-as-the-sun-went-down-this-evening-credit-andy-gibsonalamy-live-news-W20NMJ.jpg

Nothing special but it made the front page of the local paper so I love it lol!
schull-west-cork-ireland-14th-july-2019-on-another-scorchingly-hot-summers-day-in-west-cork-locals-and-tourists-alike-flocked-to-the-beaches-at-schull-beach-were-heidi-hogan-schull-hannah-odriscoll-ballydehob-abd-emily-hunsberry-from-clonakilty-credit-andy-gibsonalamy-live-news-W3C5B7.jpg
Edited by Colblimp
  • Love 2

On 16/07/2019 at 05:48, The Blinking Eye said:

Such amazing shots everyone!  Glad to see the discussion about ISO.  I shot about 500 photos at the Lights For Liberty protest in Berkeley on Friday, which took place on a pedestrian bridge over an eight lane highway.  A few pictures are really beautiful but I got home and realized none of them would pass QC because the best photos were taken at magic hour or later, and I do not yet have control over the manual controls on my camera, including setting the ISO manually.  SO IN OVER MY HEAD.  😁  I was moving quickly because the event was only an hour so I just grabbed what I could.  I submitted two and they passed QC!!!  Thrilled, and maybe I'll upload a couple more.

Editing this to add specs. 

both photos:

ISO 3200

F4.5

1/125

shot with Sony a6000 zoom lens

woohoo!

Sonys are usually no problem at 3200, but you do need that control next time, because you could probably have got these at 1/30. Going under by a stop or so would probably have made them unusable.

On 16/07/2019 at 06:20, Autumn Sky said:

It's not that Alamy "doesn't like" mountain landscapes, it's just that there are comparatively few buyers out there for a lot of landscape pix. Over the years I've been submitting to Alamy, I've enjoyed learning about what sells, and what doesn't. Landscapes that sell for me are typically those which show a use - or misuse - of the landscape... maybe reflecting a current news story (rewilding, habitat destruction, farming practices, hunting, access to the countryside, etc). So I try to add these extra elements to pix (and reflect them in tags and captions), as well as trying to have some pix with people in them... and some without...

Edited by John Morrison
  • Like 1

On 03/07/2019 at 18:50, spacecadet said:

Use ISO3200 and go for it. I find holding my breath easier after exhaling not too deeply.

That is how snipers (guns) work, there is a natural pause after exhalation

Jet blast is a popular tourist attraction consisting of standing under the path of a landing airliner, typically the daily 14:30 Air New Zealand flight, Rarotonga, Cook Islands, Polynesia.

And you are spoilt for choice. Depending on the wind direction, you can stand on either end of the runway.

W3DMC6.jpg

On 18/07/2019 at 00:55, spacecadet said:

Sonys are usually no problem at 3200, but you do need that control next time, because you could probably have got these at 1/30. Going under by a stop or so would probably have made them unusable.

Plus, I could have uploaded about several more from the shoot.  Oh well.

On 16/07/2019 at 11:42, Bill Brooks said:

Scientific proof that that face that often appears to me in the water, is not a figment of my imagination.

poseidon-neptune-face-in-the-waves-mythi

This image is sick!!!   What a terrific movie poster it would make!

On 18/07/2019 at 03:05, John Morrison said:

It's not that Alamy "doesn't like" mountain landscapes, it's just that there are comparatively few buyers out there for a lot of landscape pix. Over the years I've been submitting to Alamy, I've enjoyed learning about what sells, and what doesn't. Landscapes that sell for me are typically those which show a use - or misuse - of the landscape... maybe reflecting a current news story (rewilding, habitat destruction, farming practices, hunting, access to the countryside, etc). So I try to add these extra elements to pix (and reflect them in tags and captions), as well as trying to have some pix with people in them... and some without... 

Totally.   I am getting (slowly!) what Alamy is all about.    I am an amateur though that first and foremost enjoys photography & learning various aspects of it, including stock industry.  I did sell few landscapes, pure landscapes, in Alamy though. Pays for gear ;=)

On 16/07/2019 at 11:38, British Gent said:

Hear, hear, Autumn Sky! You could have spent the day photographing tin-openers and guaranteed yourself a sale at some point, but that's a fine image and your artistic integrity remains firmly intact!

Thank you -- I see it that way too.   This was quite a hike,  you sweat for 3 hrs & gain almost vertical kilometer to get to a pass.  But once on the pass you start descending & this opens up.  Took Canon SLR out of backpack and spent an hour soaking it all up, experimenting, trying to catch details etc.  Anyone interested I have detail write-up on personal site (work in progress)   https://autumnsky.zenfolio.com/rockie/banff-louise/cory---edith-pass-loop    (Most pics are with little Sony Rx and quite bad from photography perspective, but they were quick HDR snapshots to capture trail, not make commercial material).

6 hours ago, Malcolm Park said:
Elegant BOAC liveried 747 in flypast formation with the RAF Red Arrows Aerobatic Display Team at RIAT 2019, 20th July 2019, RAF Fairford.
Nikon D850/Sigma Sports 150-600mm zoom at 600mm.

w47dke.jpg

That must have been something to see - I have a tendency to forget to take pictures when seeing air displays.

16 hours ago, Malcolm Park said:
Elegant BOAC liveried 747 in flypast formation with the RAF Red Arrows Aerobatic Display Team at RIAT 2019, 20th July 2019, RAF Fairford.
Nikon D850/Sigma Sports 150-600mm zoom at 600mm.

w47dke.jpg

I'd planned my year well in advance and chose to go Sunday, before RIAT had announced the show day contents such that all the best flying occurred on the Saturday. At least there were no traffic issues yesterday!

10 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I'd planned my year well in advance and chose to go Sunday, before RIAT had announced the show day contents such that all the best flying occurred on the Saturday. At least there were no traffic issues yesterday!

There were no traffic issues on Friday, but there were serious rain issues! I arrived for 08.45 on Saturday and got in quite easily. Left early as I had a 100 mile journey back to London.