July 2019 Favorite Uploads

Bamboo Boar Scarer in Japanese Garden, Victoria BC Butchart Gardens:

water-spilling-in-japanese-garden-pond-f

Every 8-10 seconds water accumulates in larger stick and spills, causing it to lift and drop on rock behind making "thump" sound.  This is shishi-odoshi Japanese technique of scaring animals by making noise.

Body:  Canon EOS 6D Mk 1

Lens:  Canon 70-300L at 166mm

Aperture:  f5

Exposure: 1/10 second

ISO: 320

What makes this image challenging was that I had no tripod, and it was fairly dark.  I don't like bumping up ISO;  even 320 used is more than I'd like.  I also used F5 as I didn't need great depth of field, although I'd have liked F8 better.  Still exposure time wasn't nearly long enough for handheld.  What to do? I sat on the bench (bench was too low to lay camera on it; angle wouldn't be good), set it to 10 second delay, placed elbows on my knees and tried to make my hands as steady as I could. Then as 10 seconds were ticking, around 6 or 7 sec I took very long deep breath and held without exhaling (I find this helps with steadying hands even more).  

I did not have much hope, but it turned out ok. Focus is on sticks, and that had to be sharp.  So further in processing I did unsharp mask in PS on background layer copy, then masked the layer and painted with white brush just along bamboo sticks.  I also applied Reduce Noise Filter.  Result is above & it is technically acceptable.

I'd appreciate comments.  What do you do in similar situation if you don't have tripod?  Cheers

Edited by Autumn Sky

Sway Tower, Hampshire, by  Andrew Thomas Turton Peterson, . At 218' the tallest unreinforced concrete structure on earth. Brutalism rules- in 1869.

W1R744.jpg

....and a short practice one next door.

W1R739.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

19 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

I'd appreciate comments.  What do you do in similar situation if you don't have tripod?  Cheers

Use ISO3200 and go for it. I find holding my breath easier after exhaling not too deeply.

I went to a 1st birthday party which was actually held in a church and as I was early, I took some photos of the setup before most other people arrived.

And as someone in another thread was asking for the information, these were taken with my Nikon D7000 with my cheep as you like Nikon 18-105mm lens.

A church hall laid out with tables and chairs dressed in white fabric with yellow ribbon bows ready for a party or reception. - Stock Image

Chairs at a reception in a hall dressed with white fabric and decorated with yellow ribbon bows. - Stock Image
A church hall laid out with tables and chairs, dressed with white fabric and decorated with balloons and yellow ribbon  bows. - Stock Image
A church hall laid out with tables and chairs dressed in white fabric with yellow ribbon bows ready for a party or reception. - Stock Image

Edit: As an aside, I see we are up to 'W' in the image numbering scheme.. we were at 'T' just a couple of weeks ago. At this rate, we will have run out of letters by the end of August so I wonder what they will do next? 🙂
Edited by Matt Ashmore

31 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Edit: As an aside, I see we are up to 'W' in the image numbering scheme.. we were at 'T' just a couple of weeks ago. At this rate, we will have run out of letters by the end of August so I wonder what they will do next? 🙂

Not sure but one way would have been to have left the second (from left) character a number so that they could images starting with AA then AB or ZA then ZB etc...  It will be fun to see what they do.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2019 at 10:50, spacecadet said:

Use ISO3200 and go for it. I find holding my breath easier after exhaling not too deeply.

Thanks for exhaling tip, will try it next time.  But big NO for high ISO;  640 is about the highest I am willing to shoot with

Just now, Autumn Sky said:

Thanks for exhaling tip, will try it next time.  But big NO for high ISO;  640 is about the highest I am willing to shoot with

it's just that I can get through QC at 3200, but then I use a Sony A58. I don't have any experience with any other make.

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Staying cool in Vancouver

(Sony a6000 with 16-50 kit lens)

people-swimming-at-kitsilano-pool-on-eng

Kits Pool!!  Used to live nearby!  Did you take this from little platform above the pool near that amateur theater stage?

sunset-colors-on-kits-saltwater-swimming

Edited by Autumn Sky

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

it's just that I can get through QC at 3200, but then I use a Sony A58. I don't have any experience with any other make.

Right.  It's probably separate discussion, but I read all the time about "improved ISO, blah-blah" and then Canon 6D is not exactly low end camera but I notice grain even in such relatively low ISO.   Polarizer generally screws things up as well, although this was not an issue in Japanese pic.   You can fix things in PS but I like it coming out of camera as good as possible.

17 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

Kits Pool!!  Used to live nearby!  Did you take this from little platform above the pool near that amateur theater stage?

sunset-colors-on-kits-saltwater-swimming

I  lived near the pool too once upon a time. I was standing farther to the west.

13 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Right.  It's probably separate discussion, but I read all the time about "improved ISO, blah-blah" and then Canon 6D is not exactly low end camera but I notice grain even in such relatively low ISO.   Polarizer generally screws things up as well, although this was not an issue in Japanese pic.   You can fix things in PS but I like it coming out of camera as good as possible.

The 3200 isn't usable OOC, but I apply quite a bit of NR in LR and downsize to 3250. All my high ISO images (above 800 I think) get a NR preset applied. I rarely have to change it unless I've underexposed.

About half my subs are at 640 or above, and half of those are at 3200, so it's something I obviously need. But I don't often use a tripod. Or should that be because I don't use a tripod.

14 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The 3200 isn't usable OOC, but I apply quite a bit of NR in LR and downsize to 3250. All my high ISO images (above 800 I think) get a NR preset applied. I rarely have to change it unless I've underexposed.

About half my subs are at 640 or above, and half of those are at 3200, so it's something I obviously need. But I don't often use a tripod. Or should that be because I don't use a tripod.

ISO issue is something I am quite interested in.  Reason being I hike/travel a lot & often don't have a tripod.  So alternate techniques at borderline exposure times are important.  Nothing but tripod will help you if you have 5 sec+ exposure, but anything between 1/30 to 1 sec can potentially be dealt with.  

I think part of my problem is also that I am overly critical of my own images;  it might pass Alamy QA but if I am not happy I won't submit it.   Maybe I should do bit more serious research on technical side of grain caused by higher ISO.

Probably way off topic now so I'll stop (but thanks for input!)

A couple of newly uploaded photos.

A lobster roll taken in Massachusetts on an outside table in shade (Sony RX10 IV)

usa-plymouth-ma-massachusetts-food-lobster-roll-at-the-lobster-hut-TWBCMC.jpg

Girl with non plastic straws, shot for a magazine (Nikon D850 w/24-70mm Nikon Lens)

girl-drinking-from-non-plastic-biodegradable-straws-paper-and-glass-W20NHR.jpg

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Like 1

"The Moss Lady", Beacon Hill Park Victoria BC on Vancouver Island. 

Conceived and created by gardener Dale Doebert with help from other city employees, it portrays a sleeping, moss-covered woman who appears partly submerged in the earth.

the-moss-lady-art-sculpture-of-woman-sle

Panoramic stitch of 3 frames.   Canon EOS 6D,  F8,  1.3 sec exposure, ISO 100.   Tripod, post-processed in CS6

the-moss-lady-art-sculpture-of-woman-sle

Single frame.  Canon EOS 6D,  F8,  0.5 sec exposure, ISO 100.  Tripod, post-processed in CS6

If you are in Victoria BC,  make sure you go to see this. It is sublime.  Fairly new addition to Beacon Hill Park.  Go to Goodacre Lake, then just south (towards waterfront) in a very cool grove.  There is park bench.  It is always shady, so tripod will definitely help even in mid-day.

Edited by Autumn Sky
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Night sky in Rarotonga, Cook Islands, Polynesia.

Taken from my balcony, comfortably sitting on a chair with even an armrest for support when activating the remote shutter.

Went straight to bed 2 metres away afterwards. The easiest night shoot ever.

W2KTM1.jpg

And then a sunrise from the same spot. Same night/morning.

W2KTMG.jpg

• Love 3

20 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Vegan burgers made from "Beyond Meat", a plant derived beef like product.  The "cheese" was vegan too.  I am not a vegan or vegetarian but these were delicious!

Really??? They advertise them all over the media here in Canada.   My instinct reaction (without even trying) was "that is crap.  Give me some real meat".   But your photo make it look really delicious. Maybe I should give it a go

3 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Really??? They advertise them all over the media here in Canada.   My instinct reaction (without even trying) was "that is crap.  Give me some real meat".   But your photo make it look really delicious. Maybe I should give it a go

The real test, I suppose, would be to have tried some of the “burger” alone, perphaps all the added stuff like sautéed mushrooms and onions, gave it all the flavor.  What does stand out with this Beyond Meat product is the plant based fat that is added to make it more juicy, not dry like most other vegan or vegetarian burgers I have had.  Have a daughter who is vegan so I have tried a few.

8 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

The real test, I suppose, would be to have tried some of the “burger” alone, perphaps all the added stuff like sautéed mushrooms and onions, gave it all the flavor. 

Yes.  Or even serve it to someone without telling what it is.   "Just an ordinary beef burger. Tell me what you think"

7 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

The real test, I suppose, would be to have tried some of the “burger” alone, perphaps all the added stuff like sautéed mushrooms and onions, gave it all the flavor.  What does stand out with this Beyond Meat product is the plant based fat that is added to make it more juicy, not dry like most other vegan or vegetarian burgers I have had.  Have a daughter who is vegan so I have tried a few.

Very nice shot. Wish I was a better food photographer. I've been munching on veggieburgers for decades. They are not all created equal, that's for sure. I haven't sampled the Beyond Meat ones yet, but they're on my list. With world population predicted to reach an astonishing 10 billion by mid-century, plant-based protein is the way of the future IMO. So keep on snapping (and munching). You're making a lot of cows very happy. 😄

• Love 1