July 2019 Favorite Uploads

To finish the month with another one of my Banff National Park landscapes that will never sell 😁

scenic-landscape-view-of-shadow-lake-and

This was taken just last week, on a 3 days/ 2 nights back-country backpack trip;  to which I lugged Canon EOS 6D & 24-105L lens.  ISO 160,   F8,  24mm focal length, 1/100 sec exposure, B&W polarizer, handheld

I think 80% on this board are UK/Euro folks that might not be familiar with this area, so here is bit more info in case you are interested.

This is Shadow Lake, and in background is Mount Ball (3311m elevation, major peak by Rockies standards).  There is about 12-13km (1 way) trail from Trans-Canada Highway that gets you here, following Redearth Creek.  First 9km or so can be cycled, and are also open to horse travel.  1km before the lake is Brewster Shadow Lake lodge, with solar power and cabins; this is high-end accommodation, but there is also primitive back-country campground nearby.   On that day I did 33km loop hike visiting some of most scenic back-country of Banff National Park;  in case there are any hikers interested, I have online page on personal website here

Edited by Autumn Sky
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

To finish the month with another one of my Banff National Park landscapes that will never sell 😁

Try putting a life in your wilderness images, either a person or an animal. It will really enhance sales.

Here is my wife on a day hike on Parker Ridge. No long hikes with a Pentax 6X7 outfit.

saskatchewan-glacier-from-parker-ridge-i

A marmot at the Peyto Lake parking lot.

hoary-marmot-above-peyto-lake-and-the-mi

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Try putting a life in your wilderness images, either a person or an animal. It will really enhance sales.

Here is my wife on a day hike on Parker Ridge. No long hikes with a Pentax 6X7 outfit.

saskatchewan-glacier-from-parker-ridge-i

Bill, I know.    My landscapes are mainly made in effort to capture beauty of natural world;  life for me 'ruins' it,  even if it enhances sale potential.  This is why I am amateur ;)

btw  Parker Ridge shot above.  That is Saskatchewan glacier.  I did many hikes in that valley.  Mtn. above is Castleguard Mountain, relatively straightforward ascent (but you travel up glacier and is thus mountaineering).   This is how it looks up there on glacier:

snowcapped-castleguard-mountain-and-sask

18 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Bill, I know.    My landscapes are mainly made in effort to capture beauty of natural world;  life for me 'ruins' it,  even if it enhances sale potential.  This is why I am amateur ;)

Why not create two bodies of work -- one with images that satisfy your inner artist, and another one for stock? After all, the purpose of submitting images to a stock agency like Alamy is to try to make some money to help feed the starving inner artist. No?

P.S. Perhaps Bill could lend his pet marmot. Just kidding, of course. 😏

Edited by John Mitchell

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Why not create two bodies of work -- one with images that satisfy your inner artist, and another one for stock? After all, the purpose of submitting images to a stock agency like Alamy is to try to make some money to help feed the starving inner artist. No? 

That is a good point.  Not always feasible, long hikes are not photo shoots;  you take photo and move.  Of course I can always do photoshop "transplants" after (as I am now replacing sky when I am not happy --- and I have plenty of marmots too ;=)).  Above Shadow Lake pic was taken during 10 min food/energy break;  I did plan though to be by the lake when sun is on that 45 degree angle in mid-morning, which works best with polarizers.  

I am making progress in a sense I have clear picture now what makes sales material on this agency.   And yes, whole idea behind "stock adventure" for me is to finance photo gear - that goal is already achieved with fairly good return on micros.  I admit I don't have clear Alamy strategy & playing with several different ideas.  It's all fun though.

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

P.S. Perhaps Bill could lend his pet marmot. Just kidding, of course. 😏

You mean...people actually make money doing this?  😋

1 hour ago, The Blinking Eye said:

You mean...people actually make money doing this?  😋

LOL

Thank you!  You made my day.  It was worth posting this just to get a good laugh ;=)

Seriously, some people do.  If you peek into that "post your positive results" thread --and assuming that posts are truthful-- some people make triple digit sales on Alamy.  Takes right type of content and time/established customer base I believe.  Its all good though.