July 2019 Favorite Uploads

On 15/07/2019 at 22:48, The Blinking Eye said:

Such amazing shots everyone!  Glad to see the discussion about ISO.  I shot about 500 photos at the Lights For Liberty protest in Berkeley on Friday, which took place on a pedestrian bridge over an eight lane highway.  A few pictures are really beautiful but I got home and realized none of them would pass QC because the best photos were taken at magic hour or later, and I do not yet have control over the manual controls on my camera, including setting the ISO manually.  SO IN OVER MY HEAD.  😁  I was moving quickly because the event was only an hour so I just grabbed what I could.  I submitted two and they passed QC!!!  Thrilled, and maybe I'll upload a couple more.

Protestor on the Berkeley Pedestrian Bridge over Highway 80, looking south, as part of the Lights For Liberty vigil to protest US detention camps. Stock Photo

Protestor on the Berkeley Pedestrian Bridge over Highway 80, looking south, as part of the Lights For Liberty vigil to protest US detention camps. Stock Photo

Editing this to add specs. 

both photos:

ISO 3200

F4.5

1/125

shot with Sony a6000 zoom lens

woohoo!

Try fill-flash.

• Love 1

Winter in Queensland, Australia 😎

W48WBF.jpg

Walking trail leading to Mount Tinbeerwah lookout, Hinterland, Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

W4BB64.jpg

I thought this attraction would have too many photos up to be worth posting mine, but then did a search and decided to chance it anyway:

mabry-mill-a-blue-ridge-parkway-attraction-in-late-march-with-bare-deciduous-trees-and-some-evergreen-trees-W44E7F.jpg

Mabry Mill, Floyd County, Virginia, late March

On 23/07/2019 at 15:53, John Mitchell said:

Passengers enjoying the view from the upper deck of the Bowen Island ferry, Vancouver

(Sony a6000 with Sony 16mm pancake lens and fisheye converter)

wide-angle-view-of-passengers-enjoying-t

... with great view of cloud covered HSCT (one of best hikes on this planet)

Where is photo of Snug Cove??

On 23/07/2019 at 15:08, MizBrown said:

I thought this attraction would have too many photos up to be worth posting mine, but then did a search and decided to chance it anyway:

mabry-mill-a-blue-ridge-parkway-attraction-in-late-march-with-bare-deciduous-trees-and-some-evergreen-trees-W44E7F.jpg

Mabry Mill, Floyd County, Virginia, late March

That is a great photo.  Has distinct atmospheric feel.  Don't know if it will sell, but I really enjoyed seeing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Autumn Sky said:

I've got lots of photos of Snug Cove since I go to Bowen every summer. Not a lot of interest, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I've got lots of photos of Snug Cove since I go to Bowen every summer. Not a lot of interest, unfortunately.

I made some nice pics there over the years, but I wasn't doing stock then & drive I kept them crashed ;=(

This one is as ferry is docking at Snug Cove, looking over to HSCT.  You can see snowcapped Mt. Harvey just right of center and further left Mt. Brunswick and Hat far left.  Lions are just out of picture far right.   I'd have uploaded it, but this is small resolution copy only I kept in google photo albums.

at0T7VXd66oc_e9lpolQR76qsSm5d0PJJfG6qZPP

34 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

I made some nice pics there over the years, but I wasn't doing stock then & drive I kept them crashed ;=(

This one is as ferry is docking at Snug Cove, looking over to HSCT.  You can see snowcapped Mt. Harvey just right of center and further left Mt. Brunswick and Hat far left.  Lions are just out of picture far right.   I'd have uploaded it, but this is small resolution copy only I kept in google photo albums.

Very dramatic landscape. I hiked up to the Lions from sea level once. It almost did me in.

This is the only image captured in Snug Cove that I've licensed (PU) here.

weathered-window-of-an-old-house-with-pe

Edited by John Mitchell

On 16/07/2019 at 11:42, Bill Brooks said:

Scientific proof that that face that often appears to me in the water, is not a figment of my imagination.

poseidon-neptune-face-in-the-waves-mythi

If you could create a version in portrait orientation there would be many more uses for it.  Cool photo.

3 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Perhaps you meant this Snug Cove image that I uploaded last week. It was taken with the same inexpensive Sony fisheye conversion lens, which works surprisingly well if stopped down to f/8. Not really a big fan of fisheye shots, but I do like the cloud in this one. A couple of images with this lens combo have licensed as well, including one for $$$.

fisheye-view-of-pleasure-boats-docked-at

Edited by John Mitchell

Interesting photo John.  I'm also not big fan of fisheye lens, in fact I don't even own one.  I'd probably be afraid to upload that pic from QA failure fear, not knowing about the policy in case of unnaturally 'skewed' sides.

Here is (very bad) pano with my old T3I from summit of Mt. Gardner;  you can see Snug Cove low down center left.   Love the Howe Sound and this part of the world in general.

p3031053724-4.jpg

7 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

That is a great photo.  Has distinct atmospheric feel.  Don't know if it will sell, but I really enjoyed seeing it.

Thanks.  Most of the others were taken with autumn foliage.  I like the bare tree and the reflection. 

5 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Interesting photo John.  I'm also not big fan of fisheye lens, in fact I don't even own one.  I'd probably be afraid to upload that pic from QA failure fear, not knowing about the policy in case of unnaturally 'skewed' sides.

Here is (very bad) pano with my old T3I from summit of Mt. Gardner;  you can see Snug Cove low down center left.   Love the Howe Sound and this part of the world in general.

p3031053724-4.jpg

Fortunately, QC has no problem with the skewed sides. They can see what type of lens it is. I just make sure to deal with purple fringing, which can be significant with fisheye lenses. I haven't climbed Mt. Gardner since the 70's. Shall have to get back up there sometime. It's quite the view.

Edited by John Mitchell

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Fortunately, QC has no problem with the skewed sides. They can see what type of lens it is. I just make sure to deal with purple fringing, which can be significant with fisheye lenses. I haven't climbed Mt. Gardner since the 70's. Shall have to get back up there sometime. It's quite the view.

That is good to know.  Yes, I am very careful with purple fringing too.   I know excellent trick in CS6 if you ever need.

13 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

That is good to know.  Yes, I am very careful with purple fringing too.   I know excellent trick in CS6 if you ever need.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I currently use DxO Optics Pro for Raw conversion. It does a very good job of automatically cleaning up the purple stuff.

Edited by John Mitchell

On 25/07/2019 at 18:40, Johnnie5 said:

If you could create a version in portrait orientation there would be many more uses for it.  Cool photo.

Thanks Johnnie5. Good idea, I am going to give it a shot on the next rainy day.

I think in portrait orientation I will crop the background as is, to portrait, and then make the face a bit smaller on that cropped background. But maybe not. I will do both size as face and smaller face and see how it works. Maybe I should squeeze the face a bit on the horizontal axis. It would make it look a bit strange, which is good.

I have the original photoshop file in my archive, with all the layers, so it should be easy.