Don't sell for personal use

1 hour ago, losdemas said:

Have you tried Search by Image (FF extension)?

No I haven't. Good add-on. I'll test it for a while. Thank you!

However that Javascript does something else and also useful. But it doesn't run on Alamy anymore. It still works elsewhere though, but not everywhere.

wim

I had a personal use refund today of an image purchased a month ago. It's the first time that has happened to me and I've asked Alamy to look into it. Since I don't usually sell prints myself and the price is pretty OK these days I have not wanted to opt out.

Paulette

• Like 1

I’ve opted out for the majority of my images except when I cover an event such as a marathon when it’s possible that individuals may indeed want a photo of themselves. I can’t be doing with chasing inappropriate personal uses - there are enough other infringements to go after.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 1

I got this from Alamy....

"We understand it’s frustrating to see refunds but technically we’re offering a product so we have to have a refund policy.

Common refund reasons are: customers believe they are buying the product, incorrect invoice, customer’s price agreement not factored in or occasionally a customer’s project cancelled.

If at any point you do see an image being used where you’ve had a refund let us know.

We do appreciate your concerns."

I responded that it is the personal use refunds that I object to. There should be at least a 7 day policy on those purchases. It can't take a month to decide you don't want it on your wall. The image was of Maasai women and I had another of Maasai women three days ago so I will be watching to see if it is also refunded.

Paulette

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

"We understand it’s frustrating to see refunds but technically we’re offering a product so we have to have a refund policy.

Common refund reasons are: customers believe they are buying the product, incorrect invoice, customer’s price agreement not factored in or occasionally a customer’s project cancelled.

If at any point you do see an image being used where you’ve had a refund let us know.

I responded that it is the personal use refunds that I object to. There should be at least a 7 day policy on those purchases. It can't take a month to decide you don't want it on your wall. The image was of Maasai women and I had another of Maasai women three days ago so I will be watching to see if it is also refunded.

Paulette

Maybe the same buyer who saw the second image later and, in their opinion, thought it was better for their needs than the first they bought.🤔

Allan

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yet another PU sale but what was strange about this one is that it was zoomed twice ... I was under the impression that only certain high profile clients had zooms recorded. Surprise surprise, it was refunded this morning ... yet another high res file given away for free. I wont bother contacting Alamy as it is pointless but I will now have to seriously consider opting out of PU ....

Smiling,pretty,fashionable modern local girl using an internet cafe computer,Dali,Yunnan Province,China. Stock Photo

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Yet another PU sale but what was strange about this one is that it was zoomed twice ... I was under the impression that only certain high profile clients had zooms recorded. Surprise surprise, it was refunded this morning ... yet another high res file given away for free. I wont bother contacting Alamy as it is pointless but I will now have to seriously consider opting out of PU ....

Regular clients can also buy licences for PU,  hence the zooms.

I opted out when they hit $5 gross.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Regular clients can also buy licences for PU,  hence the zooms.

I opted out when they hit $5 gross.

I'm remaining in, have only had two PU sales, $12.48 and $19.99 gross, better than many pitiful national newspaper sales. 

• Like 2

On 17/07/2019 at 21:55, rickboden said:

How many would "sell for personal use" if Alamy gave the client a lower resolution image, say 2500 pixels wide?

Rick Boden

I agree - I don't understand why Alamy don't tier the pricing for PU images according to download size selected. At the moment it's a flat rate for all resolutions which I think is crazy!

I think the current price should be for 500 pix wide, with higher prices for higher resolutions.

Mark

• Like 5

6 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I agree - I don't understand why Alamy don't tier the pricing for PU images according to download size selected. At the moment it's a flat rate for all resolutions which I think is crazy!

I think the current price should be for 500 pix wide, with higher prices for higher resolutions.

Mark

Absolutely agree too but the reason Alamy don't do this is because they know, as we do, that 99.9% of so-called 'personal sales' are nothing of the kind. In that case the commercial clients want full size images to do with what they wish. Just a way of Alamy giving clients a cheap deal. I'll amend that, an even cheaper deal. 

Pete Davis

https://www.pete-davis-photography.com

http://peteslandscape.blogspot.com

https://www.instagram.com/petedavisphoto

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I agree too.

Shouldn't be difficult for Alamy to develop that purchase case in its adaptative sale form.

Maybe we should insist Alamy to implement that, just to avoid (or compensate) hard-to-chase fraud uses, which are obviusly happening.

• Like 2

On 18/06/2019 at 11:57, Allan Bell said:

The way you people are talking has made me think.🤔

If I remove the PU restriction and possibly achieve 1 PU sale a month at £9.99 I might reconsider my reluctance to join the Adobe subscription plan and go with a monthly licence to get LR Classic which would alleviate the problem I have at the moment with processing images from my new Sony A7 III which apparently cannot be recognised by LR6 perpetual licence.

Allan

A complex decision making process (!) , but I can see the logic. I use the Adobe Portfolio, so the £10/mth is worth it, as I get 3 in 1 ...

For some balance, I've had a live news image reported today of a police incident (this time not especially of any risk to myself, but sometimes that is the case) from July for a figure less than a PU and with a three month delay. PU prices seem to be about the only ones holding their value.

• Like 2

On 18/06/2019 at 05:57, Allan Bell said:

The way you people are talking has made me think.🤔

If I remove the PU restriction and possibly achieve 1 PU sale a month at £9.99 I might reconsider my reluctance to join the Adobe subscription plan and go with a monthly licence to get LR Classic which would alleviate the problem I have at the moment with processing images from my new Sony A7 III which apparently cannot be recognised by LR6 perpetual licence.

Allan

Doesn't Sony have a free RAW converter for the A7?  If so - it likely converts to TIFF or maybe DNG.

If not - there's Adobe's free DNG converter. 

Either will allow you to continue with LR6.

I'm still in PU for time being - but with current hi-res PU files consider it ripe for abuse. 

Edited by Phil

3 hours ago, Avpics said:

For some balance, I've had a live news image reported today of a police incident (this time not especially of any risk to myself, but sometimes that is the case) from July for a figure less than a PU and with a three month delay. PU prices seem to be about the only ones holding their value.

+1

Also although the images I've sold with PU licence sometimes look unlikely candidates for "Personal Use" I've never actually found one of my images which was sold as PU published elsewhere. So I've not seen evidence the wrong licence being purchased to save money (although I believe others have).

I have however had several PU licences refunded, which is annoying. They got a high res image for free. But several times it's been an image of medication, which seems to be a recurring theme with others too.

I'd really like to see tiered pricing for PU depending on image size... 

Mark

On 11/07/2019 at 15:48, NYCat said:

Paulette

I buy software to download and there is definitely no refund available.
I would remove my blanket restriction if there was, as has been suggested, a smaller download size depending on required use.
On my own website I offer downloads at different resolutions depending on the use.

Edited by mickfly

18 hours ago, Phil said:

Doesn't Sony have a free RAW converter for the A7?  If so - it likely converts to TIFF or maybe DNG.

If not - there's Adobe's free DNG converter. 

Either will allow you to continue with LR6.

I'm still in PU for time being - but with current hi-res PU files consider it ripe for abuse. 

Converts to DNG and apparently, according to others experiences, something is lost in the conversion. Can't remember what but I did not go that route for that reason.

Allan