Don't sell for personal use

Due to the (usually) low fees for personal use images, has anybody else started ticking the ' Don't sell for personal use ' box or do you prefer to have a sale instead, despite the low value and potential misuse?

I have started choosing this for all my new images, but not sure if will help in the long run

Most  of our images are available for personal use.

Personal use tends not to be discounted so the fee is between $9.99 and  $19.99. 

Editorial website use can be as low as $3....

All my images are marked as "Do not sell for personal use".

The reason is I may wish to sell my own images for personal use by way of prints for reasonable prices.

Not all of my images are suitable for that purpose but it was easier just to mark them all initially instead of trawling through them now.

Allan

• Love 2

I'm sticking with personal use. It's not a lot of money per sale but they add up over the year.

I just think of it as one of ALAMY's more creative versions of the RM licence and an example of not putting a barrier up between ALAMY and a sale.

Having a nightmare time lately chasing very very very suspicious PU licenses of beggars on street, etc

Anyway, as much as I would like to opt out,    Alamy has indicated that you may only opt out when licensing as RM which is pretty much no go for me since I’m duplicating most images everywhere. Frustrating. 

4 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Most  of our images are available for personal use.

Personal use tends not to be discounted so the fee is between $9.99 and  $19.99. 

Editorial website use can be as low as $3....

Your comments are in line with my thinking. 

• Love 1

I've had quite a few PU sales and it's a welcome addition to my income. So far (touch wood) I've not discovered an infringement, though I know others have. I do check them all online every now and then.

Alan

7 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

I've had quite a few PU sales and it's a welcome addition to my income. So far (touch wood) I've not discovered an infringement, though I know others have. I do check them all online every now and then.

Alan

I've found the same thing. It's welcome income. Quite a few of my PU sales are for the full $19.99 price, which is more than some regular sales.

Regarding possible infringements in the digital age, I guess I've become either philosophical or apathetic about them, not sure which, probably a bit of both.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Regarding possible infringements in the digital age, I guess I've become either philosophical or apathetic about them, not sure which, probably a bit of both.

Yes, I understand that view and veer towards it. However, I do take PU infringements very seriously because if you license a photo for personal use and then use it beyond the terms of the contract you've signed up to, then that's deliberate fraud, and I won't tolerate that.

Alan

Most of my PU sales are for $19.99, some less. PU is a very grey, suspicious area, but I don't concern myself with PU, or sales, or prices. That's Alamy's job as far as I'm concerned. My job is to produce viable editorial stock images. 

• Like 3

The way you people are talking has made me think.🤔

If I remove the PU restriction and possibly achieve 1 PU sale a month at £9.99 I might reconsider my reluctance to join the Adobe subscription plan and go with a monthly licence to get LR Classic which would alleviate the problem I have at the moment with processing images from my new Sony A7 III which apparently cannot be recognised by LR6 perpetual licence.

Allan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Yes, I understand that view and veer towards it. However, I do take PU infringements very seriously because if you license a photo for personal use and then use it beyond the terms of the contract you've signed up to, then that's deliberate fraud, and I won't tolerate that.

Alan

For sure, I do search for infringements, but I don't devote a lot of time to it. I found what appeared to be a PU infringement earlier this year and reported it to Alamy. Not long after, an editorial sale of the same image showed up for a piddly amount (low $) in my sales data. I assume that the two sales were related since they were to the same part of the world. However, the original PU sale was never refunded, which is a good thing because it was the greater of the two amounts.

• Like 2

On 16/06/2019 at 13:22, Ambrosiniv said:

Due to the (usually) low fees for personal use images, has anybody else started ticking the ' Don't sell for personal use ' box or do you prefer to have a sale instead, despite the low value and potential misuse?

I have started choosing this for all my new images, but not sure if will help in the long run

I chose not to license my images for PU several months ago, and didn't notice any obvious drop in sales or revenue (though having said that, this month is looking pretty poor so far . . . )

Alex

I restrict personal use sales and in one case it resulted in an FAA sale. The customer contacted me asking about buying a print of one photo of Hellgate Canyon in Missoula, Montana. Turns out she’d just bought a house in the canyon. I uploaded to FAA, sent her the link and bingo. Made more than $20.

1 hour ago, TABan said:

I restrict personal use sales and in one case it resulted in an FAA sale. The customer contacted me asking about buying a print of one photo of Hellgate Canyon in Missoula, Montana. Turns out she’d just bought a house in the canyon. I uploaded to FAA, sent her the link and bingo. Made more than $20.

Interesting. I've noticed no overlap between my PU and POD sales. Mind you, I don't get many POD sales these days. One last month did net close to $100, which was encouraging. IME most people ordering from POD sites want framed prints, not just the prints themselves.

Edited by John Mitchell

45 minutes ago, TABan said:

Sorry, not sure what FAA sales are? Is this outside of Alamy?

1 hour ago, Ambrosiniv said:

Sorry, not sure what FAA sales are? Is this outside of Alamy?

FAA is Fine Art America, a print on demand (POD) site.

For alamy I allow personal use licenses for most of my images, except for those I consider more artsy, and have up on FAA.  Usually my PU sales are between $9.99 and $19.99, with the median probably towards the higher end, so I think it's worth it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

FAA is Fine Art America, a print on demand (POD) site.

For alamy I allow personal use licenses for most of my images, except for those I consider more artsy, and have up on FAA.  Usually my PU sales are between $9.99 and $19.99, with the median probably towards the higher end, so I think it's worth it.

Mine are in that range as well. I had four PU sales in May -- two full price and total about $32 net, which isn't exactly a windfall but still worthwhile

Every one of my pics are marked 'Not for Personal Use' and have been for a couple of years.  I was sick of dodgy licences and lower fees than $19.99.  I'm not going to uncheck that box!

• Love 1
  • Like 3

For a long time now I have not allowed PU/Novel or newspaper subs etc for any of my images, while I don't sell vast numbers, what I have seen is that my ave picture sale price is starting to rise again 2017 (€29.64) 2018 (€36.59 and so far in 2019 (€44.27) now it s a way off the ave of 2011/13 of c€85, but Alamy do seem to be able to get reasonable prices again. If you don't offer your product at basement rates, you won't get basement rates.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

On 17/06/2019 at 02:09, Inchiquin said:

Alan

How do you go about checking for infringement?

Here's a more positive outcome.

I had a couple of Personal Use sales back in January. The images didn't seem to be the sort of thing you'd put on your wall (a hospital sign and an ambulance outside A and E) so I queried it with Alamy.

Yesterday both sales were refunded and two new sales added at four times the original PU fee.

So well done to Alamy in sorting it out.

• Like 7