How was your May 2019?

I had a slightly sub-par month here (the new normal?): 18 sales for $586 gross, only $228 for me.  My MS experiment is now consistently beating Alamy, with $248 this month.

7 for $97, mainly low single figures, but a couple of $$ ones. 

Accepted back on news feed, but worried about sending weather shots now... although aerial shots of Chinese agriculture seem to be popular, so maybe I need to move to China and fly a drone.

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

I had a slightly sub-par month here (the new normal?): 18 sales for $586 gross, only $228 for me.  My MS experiment is now consistently beating Alamy, with $248 this month.

Are you getting mostly sub sales "over there" if you don't mind my asking.

34 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Are you getting mostly sub sales "over there" if you don't mind my asking.

Mostly, in terms of downloads.  In terms of income, about half and half ($383 Subs vs $356 for ODDs and SODs)

30 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Mostly, in terms of downloads.  In terms of income, about half and half ($383 Subs vs $356 for ODDs and SODs)

Thanks for sharing. Interesting to hear that. I too have started a small-scale MS experiment (nothing like yours, though). Don't expect to make any real money, but I want to get to know the enemy better. So far, I've garnered enough to buy a coffee at T. Hortons (Starbucks will have to wait). Have to admit that watching those piddly amounts pop up can get addictive. It can even be fun (sort of),  a bit like playing penny poker. However, I could never generate enough images to play the MS game properly. Also, I still don't think it's a sustainable business model. It sounds as if you're doing much better than most. There's no shortage of doom and gloom on the MS forums that I've been lurking on. Most MS agencies seem to be in big trouble, with the possible exception of one large player whose name we won't mention of course.

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for sharing. Interesting to hear that. I too have started a small-scale MS experiment (nothing like yours, though). Don't expect to make any real money, but I want to get to know the enemy better. So far, I've garnered enough to buy a coffee at T. Hortons (Starbucks will have to wait). Have to admit that watching those piddly amounts pop up can get addictive. It can even be fun (sort of),  a bit like playing penny poker. However, I could never generate enough images to play the MS game properly. Also, I still don't think it's a sustainable business model. It sounds as if you're doing much better than most. There's no shortage of doom and gloom on the MS forums that I've been lurking on. Most MS agencies seem to be in big trouble, with the possible exception of one big one whose name we won't mention of course.

I think you do have enough images.  Even if most are editorial, I find that doesn't slow sales down as much as I feared.  I found the upload process manageable. 

I'm trying another one that ironically does not accept AdobeRGB images (or editorial) with much less success.  Sales are poor and the upload process saps my will to live.  I just like the idea of not having all my eggs in one basket.

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

I think you do have enough images.  Even if most are editorial, I find that doesn't slow sales down as much as I feared.  I found the upload process manageable. 

I'm trying another one that ironically does not accept AdobeRGB images (or editorial) with much less success.  Sales are poor and the upload process saps my will to live.  I just like the idea of not having all my eggs in one basket.

It strikes me that some MS agencies (won't mention names) now resemble Ponzi schemes in that the majority of new contributors will probably never reach the payout thresholds. The images I'm experimenting with on MS are for the most part ones that would most likely rot here. No plans to duplicate my editorial collection elsewhere.  My apologies for veering off-topic.

7 for $401.55 gross.

Not in NU or PU.

All direct, at 50% commission.

Had a presentation/newsletter licence which I think has gone to an artist who has used a pic of mine in a photo collage and posted the entire uncropped photo on to Twitter  ..the artist is making a name for themselves in the UK, with the newspapers and book publishers taking note of him.

Now reading DACS info about UK copyright laws regarding collages. Think I may be contacting the legal experts !

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

It strikes me that some MS agencies (won't mention names) now resemble Ponzi schemes in that the majority of new contributors will probably never reach the payout thresholds. The images I'm experimenting with on MS are for the most part ones that would most likely rot here.

That's exactly right.  There are MS agencies that have 100% bot QA process;  as long as it doesn't detect any 'property' it accepts absolute garbage.  It is sad, and picture where whole industry has gone.

2 sales both for low $$.   But on a positive side I am now getting sales every month with 'only' 1300 images.  And my CTR is steadily climbing, so it encourages me to keep going.

53 minutes ago, Jansos said:

Tempting fate but my best month so far - 31 sales for $1116 gross. Having said that Spurs lost to Liverpool tonight so there are always ups and downs. 😞

well thanks for that, Im watching the game in Sydney whilst avoiding all news and websites where i might hear the outcome before I've watched the game - thought an Alamy forum would be a safe to peruse whilst watching the game-clearly not

3 hours ago, Jansos said:

Having said that Spurs lost to Liverpool tonight so there are always ups and downs. 😞

I am neutral, but Liverpool had terrific season & after last year final Klopp definitely deserved to win this time.   It wasn't a good game & I thought 1st min penalty killed the game.  Wasn't penalty either.   Too bad for Spurs because since Poch seems to be going to Juve this was probably best season for awhile now.   Off topic, sorry.  Huge football fan here

12 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

7 for $401.55 gross.

Not in NU or PU.

All direct, at 50% commission.

Had a presentation/newsletter licence which I think has gone to an artist who has used a pic of mine in a photo collage and posted the entire uncropped photo on to Twitter  ..the artist is making a name for themselves in the UK, with the newspapers and book publishers taking note of him.

Now reading DACS info about UK copyright laws regarding collages. Think I may be contacting the legal experts !

Let Alamy chase that to start with, as it's the wrong licence. If they can't get a higher fee out of him and sign it off then go for it.

Volume about normal, but averages have crashed to about $21, so revenue is half of last year. Over half of licences PU or presentation.

Archived