Images sold in December

Another licence for this apparently popular image, the 10th overall and the 9th via Alamy. Direct licence for a bit higher than mid $$.

Usage: Editorial
Media: Book, print and/or e-book
Print run: up to 5,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1/2 page
Start: 03 December 2018
End: 03 December 2023

brown-sandfish-sea-cucumber-or-holothurian-bohadschia-vitiensis-extruding-E7M4XX.jpg

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Australian newspaper

DR7R12.jpg

Always love the Satin Bowerbirds. We have had "Blackie" living next door, with his bower less than a foot from our fence for many years. I buy him a pear each week and he loves his morning feed of it chopped up. I just have to go into the yard and call, and he will arrive at the fence to check out what I have to offer. Needless to say, he has a very big harem!

1 minute ago, cbimages said:

Always love the Satin Bowerbirds. We have had "Blackie" living next door, with his bower less than a foot from our fence for many years. I buy him a pear each week and he loves his morning feed of it chopped up. I just have to go into the yard and call, and he will arrive at the fence to check out what I have to offer. Needless to say, he has a very big harem!

Lovely story. Yes Queensland is a wildlife dream. Yesterday I had a sunbird inside the house!

On Sunday I went to Julatten and photographed the rare Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfisher which just arrived from Papua New Guinea.

I'm just about to upload the pix.

We're lucky!

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Australian newspaper

What a lovely bowerbird!  They are such interesting birds, attracting mates with their bowers and collections of blue things.  You've captured him really well.

19 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

What a lovely bowerbird!  They are such interesting birds, attracting mates with their bowers and collections of blue things.  You've captured him really well.

Thank you Maria. Only the Satin Bowerbird collects blue. The Great Bowerbird collects white snails or shells, sometimes with green objects too. I have one pic with a touch of pink as well. Here.

And look at him with its crest erect when displaying. Isn't he a show off? Here

Passenger train crossing the Ribblehead Viaduct on the Settle to Carlisle line. Batty Moss, Ribblehead, North Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom.

passenger-train-crossing-the-ribblehead-viaduct-on-the-settle-to-carlisle-HYM1KN.jpg

Usage: Newspaper Editorial print and digital use. Any size.Any Placement. One time use only.
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 03 December 2018
End: 03 December 2019

Just got my first sale of December: Worldwide, web advertisement, media and publishing. Nice $$$ fee. Also, it's the 9th time this image has sold in the last 12 months. It's an 8th Century treasure that was found in a field half a mile from where I lived for 11 years. So, I'm hoping for 11 sales before the end of 2018!

E3W79G.jpg

Three distributor sales in one day - a good day for sales but not a lot for revenue!

Here's one of them - the Durham Miner's Gala from a few years ago.  The others were from the same event.

Durham, UK. 11th July, 2015. Parade of bands and banners at the Durham Miners Gala.Stock Photo

Clocks in the hotel lobby of Hotel Klettur in Reykjavik

Clocks in the hotel lobby of Hotel Klettur in ReykjavikStock Photo

Usage: Editorial
Media: Travel guides -print and/or e-book

I take all these nice pictures of Iceland and the one of my hotel lobby sells lol!

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

I take all these nice pictures of Iceland and the one of my hotel lobby sells lol!

That's been happening to me for over 30 years. Send an editor 5 of your most outstanding images, plus a "filler" for the half-dozen, and they'll print the filler! It's just one of those unfathomable laws of publishing.

On the obverse side of that coin, as someone (for the last 7 years) involved in a well-known UK camera magazine; I've known page layouts of amazing images by a single photographer to be responded to with a request to change them for other, very mediocre shots. Go figure.

44 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

That's been happening to me for over 30 years. Send an editor 5 of your most outstanding images, plus a "filler" for the half-dozen, and they'll print the filler! It's just one of those unfathomable laws of publishing.

On the obverse side of that coin, as someone (for the last 7 years) involved in a well-known UK camera magazine; I've known page layouts of amazing images by a single photographer to be responded to with a request to change them for other, very mediocre shots. Go figure.

I think that non-photographers see photos differently - get a group of punters and a group of photographers to look at the same photo - or photos - and the groups are going to highlight totally different good and bad bits.   It is something I have had to grit my teeth about and get on with - when I shoot football a significant number of shots I put up for sale are ones I would rather reject but experience tells me people are going to message me and ask for them - even if they are blurry out of focus whatever - and then people will buy them having asked for them.  I see my photography as having 3 distinct sides - football/sport when the assessment is what I know will sell even if awful, stock when the assessment is all technical, and (when I can manage it) camera club competition/exhibition when the assessment is much more artistic but still with high levels of technical.    Buyer and editors will be different - although experienced with photography and what is and is not good they will also have a heavy weighting of what will sell (be it the magazine or the products advertised) and the 2 are not always the same.

Archived