What would you like to see in the new manage images / upload process?

1. The ability to load more than 96 thumbnails per page on a search return, combined with larger thumbnails that show as the full image rather than a square so that it is clear which are horizontal vs vertical. I am typically working on a 30" display and when 96 images load it only shows two rows of thumbs on a display area that has room for 24 rows. In many cases the search results are in the 100s so instead of seeing the total result on multiple pages they could be viewed on one. In conjunction with a scale slider to adjust the thumbnail size would be great.

2. The ability to replace an older image with an updated version of that same image. As Lightroom, Photoshop and my own processing skills have evolved I have reprocessed hundreds of images and in many cases the result is a dramatic improvement. I would love to see those improvements reflected in my collection but the current process of deleting and re-submitting in a new submission is too tedious, drawn out and confusing to track. 

3. The ability to do an inverted keyword search. If I do a search for "New England" I get all the images with the keyword New England but what I really want is all the images that do not contain New England, and the ability to batch apply "New England" to all the relevant images where it is currently missing. Really the batch apply would be a bonus. If I could just identify all the images that are missing a given keyword short of having to go through every image individually would be a vast improvement.

4. The ability to search by images that have sold and those that have not.

5. The ability to see Stockimo images included.

• 4 weeks later...

Oops seem to have arrived a bit late on this thread. Sorry.

I can't add much to what has already been said except

I'd like to see the the option to specify "This image is only available on Alamy" in Image attributes

I'd also like to see consistent operation of the quotation marks within keywords. At the moment it affects web image search results (e.g. via Google) but NOT searches within Alamy.

Being discussed elsewhere, but let's not miss an opportunity - remove Flash from manage images, as some Android devices cannot access the Flash player. (Strangely, it seems that this is the only section of the Alamy empire that uses the Flash player, so it must be possible to do without).

Oops seem to have arrived a bit late on this thread...

Never too late to improve...

For each of one's images since upload:

a. see its total # views

b. see its total # zooms

c. see its total # licenses

For b, also see each zoom's search.

So, for example, somewhere within image edit function, one might see:

Uploaded 5/2006

5 zooms

(London skyline XYZ Building)

(XYZ Building)

(London 1960s architecture)

(XYZ Building Carnaby Street)

(Carnaby Street shops)

2 licenses

+1 (better late than never)  :)

Oops seem to have arrived a bit late on this thread...

Never too late to improve...

For each of one's images since upload:

a. see its total # views

b. see its total # zooms

c. see its total # licenses

For b, also see each zoom's search.

So, for example, somewhere within image edit function, one might see:

Uploaded 5/2006

5 zooms

(London skyline XYZ Building)

(XYZ Building)

(London 1960s architecture)

(XYZ Building Carnaby Street)

(Carnaby Street shops)

2 licenses

+1 (better late than never)  :)

+2

Another late comment - sorry  ;)

Does anyone else find the assignment of model and property releases menu somewhat "clunky". Once you've uploaded lots of releases it's difficult to navigate to the one that's needed. Perhaps some sort options might help. e.g. sort alphabetically by file name (ascending or descending) or sort by upload date (ascending or descending).

Or have I missed the obvious?

Does anyone else find the assignment of model and property releases menu somewhat "clunky". Once you've uploaded lots of releases it's difficult to navigate to the one that's needed. Perhaps some sort options might help. e.g. sort alphabetically by file name (ascending or descending) or sort by upload date (ascending or descending).

+1

I often find myself uploading the model release twice, the software is anything but intuitive. Should you close one window before moving on etc. It works but there is certainly room for improvement.

I would like to see in the attributes section of Manage Your Images a drop down menu to select the orientation of the photograph. ATM I have to use a keyword/keywords to state if the photo is in portrait or landscape format. Landscape and portrait are different genres of photography as well as the orientation of the photo, so a buyer looking for a landscape will also find irrelevant images in a landscape format.

The drop down menu could have, Landscape, Portrait, Square, Other, to choose from.

I would like to see in the attributes section of Manage Your Images a drop down menu to select the orientation of the photograph. ATM I have to use a keyword/keywords to state if the photo is in portrait or landscape format. Landscape and portrait are different genres of photography as well as the orientation of the photo, so a buyer looking for a landscape will also find irrelevant images in a landscape format.

The drop down menu could have, Landscape, Portrait, Square, Other, to choose from.

Alamy already automatically assigns a landscape, portrait, panoramic or square attribute depending on the aspect ratio of the uploaded image. These then work with the "orientation" filter setting on the left to allow the customer to select the aspect ratio they want.

No need for that. The software recognises the orientation. See filter search results (click on magnifying glass next to search box).

Cheers,

Philippe

You mean clients never use the keywords horizontal or vertical in their searches?

;-)

wim

No need for that. The software recognises the orientation. See filter search results (click on magnifying glass next to search box).

Cheers,

Philippe

You mean clients never use the keywords horizontal or vertical in their searches?

;-)

wim

They almost certainly do. But using the check boxes is more reliable, especially considering the "landscape" scenery or format ambiguity

A search using two keywords Skye landscape, brings up 11,352 results in a variety of formats

A search using two keywords Skye landscape, with the portrait format box ticked brings up 2,497 results, indicating that about 22% of the images with "landscape" in their keywords are actually portrait format photographs of landscapes.

No easy answer to this one. But I think Alamy's approach is right, i.e. to automatically set the format based on the pixel aspect ratio. To add a drop down box for the user to select the format "genre" would just cause additional confusion.

Cheers,

Philippe

;-)

wim

They almost certainly do. But using the check boxes is more reliable, especially considering the "landscape" scenery or format ambiguity

A search using two keywords Skye landscape, brings up 11,352 results in a variety of formats

A search using two keywords Skye landscape, with the portrait format box ticked brings up 2,497 results, indicating that about 22% of the images with "landscape" in their keywords are actually portrait format photographs of landscapes.

No easy answer to this one. But I think Alamy's approach is right, i.e. to automatically set the format based on the pixel aspect ratio. To add a drop down box for the user to select the format "genre" would just cause additional confusion.

Remember the cutout filter?

The way that works, is that the search catches any search for cutout or cut out and a couple of other synonyms.

The filter does not recognize all cutouts: false negative.

The filter does recognize images that are not cutouts: false positive.

A simple filter for Square Vertical or Horizontal will not give false negatives or positives, I guess. (3902x4006, is that a Vertical or a Square? 3962x4001? The devil is in the details.)

However in the case of the cutouts the keywords cannot be used in the ordinary way anymore.

What if a client is looking for something that is cut out but not a cutout?

BK75EM.jpg

When I use a word that is remotely referring to an attachment, my email program shows a line: You just used a word like attachment, do you want to attach an item?

Why not have a small line that flags the use of a word like cutout or landscape or portrait?

There's a good reason:

Nobody or very few seem to use landscape or portrait this way. When I glanced the 2600 searches for landscape on AoA, I have spotted none. All wanted genuine landscapes. The same with the 4100 searches for portrait.

As we have seen in some discussions here the cutout is far more complicated: clients probably know what a cutout is, they may however call it differently, like in the US it used to be a silo.

Contributors do not always know what a cutout is. The filter does not always know when a cutout is a cutout.

So there now are lots of cutouts that do not show up in a search for cutout. (A problem for the contributor.)

There are a few that show up, that are not genuine cutouts. (A problem for Alamy: it makes the client question the professionalism of the collection.)

Why not show a warning when a word like cutout is used in the search box : your search will be filtered automatically and some results may be left out.

The 350 people searching for something vertical were mostly looking for a vertical image, but not all: *Fennec Horizontal NOT man NOT woman NOT people NOT studio NOT vertical* 39 results against 335 for Fennec.

In general users of an interface (any interface) want control.

Why not just remind them politely: we also have some buttons for you to use.

Maybe even with a caveat: this filter may not be perfect, but your keywords may be neither.

wim

In view of below comment by admin:

I'm for tick boxes for everything you can think of in the Manage Images interface.

I'm for filters on the Search page / Advanced search page too. Many more than are being used now. I think Alamy should offer at least all techniques all the other agencies are using.

Just in case clients like them. (It is highly unlikely there will be new clients that have never been a client anywhere else)

But I am against filters using up keywords that then become unusable as a real search term.

We've done a bit of housekeeping in this thread to delete off-topic posts and discussion. We're using this thread to log feedback and suggestions for the new contributor tools which are currently in development.

Please stay on topic, thanks.

Alamy

Edit: Also, if you could please read through to check your suggestion hasn't already been made that would be a real help for us as we gather these suggestions up. For example, the flash removal suggestion was noted in post one page one... :)

The ability in "Manage Images" to magnify the image more to prevent having to go back to the original image to put in the correct number of people

Kumar

An option for "room for text" or "empty space" to denote images suitable for covers etc. You can put those phrases in keywords, but it would make things more consistent / reliable for both photographers and customers if it was a yes/no option. Might be hard to police, I admit.

Maybe not exactly on topic, but number of people could do with a "number of people prominent in image". At the moment we include tiny background figures when maybe it is one or two nearly filling the frame. I suspect purchesers might be more interested in the numbers of prominent people so end up misslead.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived