What would you like to see in the new manage images / upload process?

• 2 weeks later...

1. Smartphone, tablet access for keywording 

2. Better support of metadata and embedded key wording from Lightroom. It may just be me but some of my other agencies automatically import my keywords from Lightroom

3. No key wording hierarchy

Graham

As discussed somewhere else on the forum, a way of replacing existing images with new, improved versions. Rather than uploading, locating the old image, deleting the keywords, adding a reference to the new version and waiting 6 months for the old one to appear, it would be great if it could be automated in some way.

Since this topic has been bumped up again, I just want to repeat one of Pearl's items from back on page 3:

" Please please please - whatever changes you make do not make it necessary for us to redo our existing images as we had to previously."

Is it possible to add an option to Live News whereby news images with an embargoed publication time can be uploaded and parked until the time limit expires, then put live with the click of a button? I had such a shoot yesterday with a ‘not till 22.00GMT’ publication time on them. By the time the images had been uploaded on ftp and then appeared on the site it was about 22.40. Frustrating considering the shots were all captioned and ready hours earlier in the day. Another news site I supply to has this option, so shots are able to be published bang-on the time limit.

Since this topic has been bumped up again, I just want to repeat one of Pearl's items from back on page 3:

" Please please please - whatever changes you make do not make it necessary for us to redo our existing images as we had to previously."

I find it a little worrying that Alamy didn't come back and say

"of course we won't"

Pearl

As discussed somewhere else on the forum, a way of replacing existing images with new, improved versions. Rather than uploading, locating the old image, deleting the keywords, adding a reference to the new version and waiting 6 months for the old one to appear, it would be great if it could be automated in some way.

If you just mean reprocessing, MS will replace images. Just send them a list of the reference numbers.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, they're all helpful and it means that you can at least know that what you request will be considered, discussed and (if possible), implemented here at Alamy HQ.

We do have at least one 'quick win' on the way. As previously mentioned we have begun rolling out FTP upload for all and this should be complete by the end of January. You can check to see if you've got it yet by clicking the upload link from the Alamy dashboard. If FTP has been rolled out to your account, you'll see it as an option. Hopefully vector upload for all will be next but we can't confirm that just yet.

We've begun mapping out how a new, revised process will work and we've got some really exciting features for you that we think you'll love once they're ready. 

Thanks again, 

Alamy

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, they're all helpful and it means that you can at least know that what you request will be considered, discussed and (if possible), implemented here at Alamy HQ.

We do have at least one 'quick win' on the way. As previously mentioned we have begun rolling out FTP upload for all and this should be complete by the end of January. You can check to see if you've got it yet by clicking the upload link from the Alamy dashboard. If FTP has been rolled out to your account, you'll see it as an option. Hopefully vector upload for all will be next but we can't confirm that just yet.

We've begun mapping out how a new, revised process will work and we've got some really exciting features for you that we think you'll love once they're ready. 

Thanks again, 

Alamy

I presume there will be a benefit from using FTP rather than the conventional upload route?

John.

Thanks again, 

Alamy

I presume there will be a benefit from using FTP rather than the conventional upload route?

John.

• Much faster
  • More reliable & efficient
  • Uploads can be re-continued if there is a break in the connection

Thanks again, 

Alamy

That's very good news. Now we can export directly from Lightroom without even having to save JPG files. 

• 2 months later...

A keyword box where you could type in a range of keywords and then drag and drop the relevant ones to individual images. This would help in keywording images from the same "Shoot that need similar but different keywords. I don't think it is unusual to have 50 different keywords that need applying in different combinations to a range of 50 images from a travel project where each image has say 30 keywords. Drag and drop would give a fast and flexible way to do it.

The other thing that would help is, as many others have already said, is larger image size

TC

I still use the old manage images more than I do the new. I like everything being on the same page. I keyword in Bridge, but like to copy and paste between similar images once I've done the boxes in the first.

Ability to batch add a keyword or more without losing what's already there.

Ability to manage images from my iPad.

Thanks so much for listening. :)

Most importantly: Existing keywords, etc, that have been already added to the images in Photo Mechanic should automatically be mapped to the necessary fields for Alamy so that we don't need to make any changes once the images are uploaded.

Ability to set default restrictions, pseunydom, editorial use only, image is a photograph, etc., so that these are automatically applied on upload.

Do away with the requirement to state how many people in the image.

Basically, we need to be able to do all our image captioning, keywording, etc., before uploading. Once the images are uploaded, they should only have to pass QC and can then go live without any further input.

I'd like a way for when keywording the word 'England', other variants could automatically be entered at the same time (in to the Main Keywords box). For example typing 'england' would also add 'english, gb, great britain, british, uk, united kingdom, europe, european' etc. etc. Also the same for Wales, Scotland, Ireland etc.

What a good a idea!

I would like to be able to batch add  keywords through Manage Images, without losing existing ones - for example, I have a lot of landscapes, keyworded with the word "landscape". You recently brought in a category for landscapes, which seems to include files keyworded with the single word "landscapes". Since you have said in the past that we should not use plurals unless there is more than one, all mine are missing from this category. No way am I going through files individually to add "landscapes". If you brought in stemming that would solve the particular problem, but would still be useful for forgotten keywords.

Wouldn't this be better done at the search stage? Then wouldn't need to go back and redue previous images and serching person could set what they wanted.

I'd like the ability to use Manage Images to find an image which is already in my collection and to be easily able to copy all the description, keywords etc to images(s) I'm processing for submission.

You can already do that with the present version.  Just use the search facility at the top.

Pearl

But if I open an image from my current collection, I can't have open an image from the Images not Ready category  in order to copy information. I tend to just work on one or two similar images at a time and copy/paste between them using the next/previous image button if they are of a similar subject. Fine if both images are in the Images not Read category, but not if one ofthem is already in the library. Or am I missing something  obvious?

I do the draging of data back and forth between files all the time, but in the "Old Version" of manage images. This doesn't have the ability to search for a group as the "New Version" does. Would be useful.

That

I'd like a way for when keywording the word 'England', other variants could automatically be entered at the same time (in to the Main Keywords box). For example typing 'england' would also add 'english, gb, great britain, british, uk, united kingdom, europe, european' etc. etc. Also the same for Wales, Scotland, Ireland etc.

What a good a idea!

I would like to be able to batch add  keywords through Manage Images, without losing existing ones - for example, I have a lot of landscapes, keyworded with the word "landscape". You recently brought in a category for landscapes, which seems to include files keyworded with the single word "landscapes". Since you have said in the past that we should not use plurals unless there is more than one, all mine are missing from this category. No way am I going through files individually to add "landscapes". If you brought in stemming that would solve the particular problem, but would still be useful for forgotten keywords.

Wouldn't this be better done at the search stage? Then wouldn't need to go back and redue previous images and serching person could set what they wanted.

That's one of the reasons I use PhotoMechanic and do my keywording before I upload. I just move them into the right places for Alamy (Oh how I wish Alamy would use the industry standard IPTC structure). Have to be careful not to create too many synonyms/child keywoprds. I cut mine right back because it was generating too many irrelevant keywords. For examaple something could be relevantly keyworded as London but not make a lot of sense to have Europe or even England as keyword - eg a black London cab or a red double decker bus.

Thanks for consulting.  
I keyword before uploading in a word processor (improves my spelling no end) before putting in IPTC fields. Then I use the "New Version" of manage images to enter location on a whole batch at once and tick the  boxes, sometimes on just some of the photos. Then I go to the "Old Version" so I can drag keywords to appropriat locations, make copy of My Ref and Alamy Ref along with date uploaded. In this version have an "Undo".

1. The ability to drag text around is much quicker than copy and past.
2. On the "New Version" no tick box for "Is this picture a cut-out? *" and any new version would be good to have all the appropriat tick boxes and some ability to set ones which are always ticked.
3. Keep the "Old Version" live or duplicate its real functionality.

Maybe not appropriate for this topic but the suggestion of option for "Editorial Royalty Free" for images with unreleased models/property would be good.

I don't want a propriatory way of keywording such as Lightroom, PhotoMechanic or even Adoby to be a dominent method.

Charles

I'd like to be able to make the text larger in the new Manage Images.

Working on a big screen I find it much too small at the moment. Currently use Chrome browser on Mac OS 10.10.

Michael

I'd like everything bigger as I use a large screen for editing and the thumbnails are lost on it, I find I have to have the original pics open on another screen to count people in street scenes (for instance) as I can't see them properly on the thumbs or the slightly larger clicked images.

When setting restrictions there should be a simple, one-button, solution to set "For Editorial Use Only."

At the moment, according to Alamy tech support, you have to individually select all the uses that you want to restrict. Very counter-intuitive and time-consuming. Also, if you do set the restrictions that way then the images shows up with lots of "This image is restricted and can't be used for......"  That must put off prospective buyers. How come some contributors images do show a simple red "For Editorial Use Only" next to the image?

Archived