What would you like to see in the new manage images / upload process?

It's impossible for us to put a timescale on this, sorry. It's a big project and we're focused on getting it right. We are working on it at this very moment.

Cheers

Alamy

It's impossible for us to put a timescale on this, sorry. It's a big project and we're focused on getting it right. We are working on it at this very moment.

Cheers

Alamy

I am sure it will be interesting. We are looking forward to it :)

cheers.

Mirco

• 3 months later...

Cheers

Alamy

EDIT: See post further down for better worded question!

With the recent serious security exploits found in Flash there is some discussion that Flash might be totally disabled/blocked on some browsers. If this happens will Alamy have a non flash version ready to go?

Thanks

Michael

Please could we have:

1. A feature for the bulk adding of adding keywords to already keyworded images without it overwriting the existing the existing fields? Speaking as someone who has just pressed cmd V about 500 times this would be a massive time saver.

2. A Keyword Suggestions box similar to that in the Library Module in LR. You click on the keyword and it gets added. Also the ability to load up keyword presets into that box for regular subjects or locations. It could also intelligently suggest further keywords i.e If you add "Buckingham Palace" it will have suggest 'Royal Palace' etc.

3. When typing characters into Essential Keywords and you run out of characters, it then transfers the partial word into Main Keywords and allows you to continue to typing to finish the word.

4. A Lightroom plug in that would allow you to keyword in Lightroom using the same fields that Alamy use.

I'll volunteer as a candidate for Beta Testing if needed. 

Thanks

Michael

Cheers

Alamy

With the recent serious security exploits found in Flash there is some discussion that Flash might be totally disabled/blocked on some browsers. If this happens will Alamy have a non flash version ready to go?

Thanks

Michael

They should be using HTML5 rather than flash (i'd imagine they are). Flash is on it's last legs, no point investing time in building something new that won't be supported by most browsers soon!

Cheers

Alamy

Thanks

Michael

They should be using HTML5 rather than flash (i'd imagine they are). Flash is on it's last legs, no point investing time in building something new that won't be supported by most browsers soon!

Cheers Duncan, Agreed - my question was more is Alamy far enough along with the project to be able to launch should Flash get pulled suddenly. Google/Microsoft/Apple could kill Flash overnight without Adobe being able to do anything. It would just take a serious enough exploit.

Michael

Cheers

Alamy

Thanks

Michael

Cheers Duncan, Agreed - my question was more is Alamy far enough along with the project to be able to launch should Flash get pulled suddenly. Google/Microsoft/Apple could kill Flash overnight without Adobe being able to do anything. It would just take a serious enough exploit.

Michael

I've switched flash off in Safari now, there are still a few websites using it but not too many thankfully!

The main problem is the lack of a batch keywording system, essential features of which should be that you can see the images (larger view option), you can select and deselect within a batch and you can see what you are doing, i.e. all keywords are visible with global and local keys distinguished (e.g. if  'UK'  hasn't been entered for all in the batch, and you want it to be, then you can remedy that, whereas if 'England' is global, and by happenstance you have a couple of shots of the Welsh Assembly building in there, you can easily remedy that.

Was that just one, or three suggestions?

2. A list of standard meta (and other) keywords, in line with current best practice, describing features of images that are often missed such as ‘copy space’, ‘indoors’, ‘outdoors’, ‘horizon line’, ‘many objects’, etc.   These should have their own field, that won’t impact on ranking.

3. Ability to order ‘on sale’ images according to numbers of zooms and sales.

The main problem is the lack of a batch keywording system, essential features of which should be that you can see the images (larger view option), you can select and deselect within a batch and you can see what you are doing, i.e. all keywords are visible with global and local keys distinguished (e.g. if 'UK' hasn't been entered for all in the batch, and you want it to be, then you can remedy that, whereas if 'England' is global, and by happenstance you have a couple of shots of the Welsh Assembly building in there, you can easily remedy that.

2. A list of standard meta (and other) keywords, in line with current best practice, describing features of images that are often missed such as ‘copy space’, ‘indoors’, ‘outdoors’, ‘horizon line’, ‘many objects’, etc. These should have their own field, that won’t impact on ranking.

#2:

Those would need a counterpart on the client side: maybe experienced buyers from the UK and the US know to use those words, but others not so much. So that would mean an advanced search page with much more filters. Maybe even with a sort of wizard. i would be all for it. However.

Not sure whether we are moving that way. Actually I'm pretty sure we're moving away from text based searches or text based anything: Blink! Swipe to the right or swipe to the left. Tinder developers had probably read Malcolm Gladwell and taken it to heart.

BTW depending on who you listen to, advanced search options are being used by 1 to 5% of clients.

The other thing is that random non standard keywording potentially benefits the small contributor with not so stellar ranking.

I consider my pseudo with a BHZ ranking of #14 not stellar: an image in my top pseudo that lands on page 1 for a simple search like London or Amsterdam, will land on page 15 or 20 when it is in my BHZ#14 pseudo. Everything else being equal.

So be careful what you wish for.

Yes! with numbers going back to when the image came online. Preferably with a graph as well: zooms going up; sales going down. Plus a small calculator: views vs sales vs zooms. Hmm I think I just asked for a spreadsheet with images. Maybe that's the solution to many of our problems. A nice spreadsheet tool.

wim

edit: + for me a course in how to use a spreadsheet ;-)

The main problem is the lack of a batch keywording system, essential features of which should be that you can see the images (larger view option), you can select and deselect within a batch and you can see what you are doing, i.e. all keywords are visible with global and local keys distinguished (e.g. if 'UK' hasn't been entered for all in the batch, and you want it to be, then you can remedy that, whereas if 'England' is global, and by happenstance you have a couple of shots of the Welsh Assembly building in there, you can easily remedy that.

2. A list of standard meta (and other) keywords, in line with current best practice, describing features of images that are often missed such as ‘copy space’, ‘indoors’, ‘outdoors’, ‘horizon line’, ‘many objects’, etc. These should have their own field, that won’t impact on ranking.

#2:

Those would need a counterpart on the client side: maybe experienced buyers from the UK and the US know to use those words, but others not so much. So that would mean an advanced search page with much more filters. Maybe even with a sort of wizard. i would be all for it. However.

Not sure whether we are moving that way. Actually I'm pretty sure we're moving away from text based searches or text based anything: Blink! Swipe to the right or swipe to the left. Tinder developers had probably read Malcolm Gladwell and taken it to heart.

BTW depending on who you listen to, advanced search options are being used by 1 to 5% of clients.

The other thing is that random non standard keywording potentially benefits the small contributor with not so stellar ranking.

I consider my pseudo with a BHZ ranking of #14 not stellar: an image in my top pseudo that lands on page 1 for a simple search like London or Amsterdam, will land on page 15 or 20 when it is in my BHZ#14 pseudo. Everything else being equal.

So be careful what you wish for.

Yes! with numbers going back to when the image came online. Preferably with a graph as well: zooms going up; sales going down. Plus a small calculator: views vs sales vs zooms. Hmm I think I just asked for a spreadsheet with images. Maybe that's the solution to many of our problems. A nice spreadsheet tool.

wim

edit: + for me a course in how to use a spreadsheet ;-)

#2: These words are going to be used by the buyers with the bigger budgets, Wim, and some of the better known commercial agencies supplying Alamy will be using them.   If, for example, you enter 'large group of objects copy space' (without quotes) you fish up 7.5k images.  Add in some specifics, and you will probably end up with around three pages.  Very likely agencies will dominate these results followed by contributors who supply commercial agencies.   But there may well be a lot more by other contribs that don't appear at all.  You wouldn't need a very high ranking to be visible there.

1. ***A default option for Editorial Use Only***

2. Ability to delete an image before QC

3. A better batch keywording interface with the ability to see what keywords are already in there along the lines of the Lightroom keywording interface. I realize that's proprietary but just as an example of what I mean. 

Thanks. Any improvements to the system would be much appreciated. 

Shortening the time in the "sin bin" to 2 weeks would be nice too - that's not part of the upload/keywording process but just thought I'd mention it. 

Happy to beta test

A little late on this topic, but here comes my input anyways:

-I rater prefer to see a stand alone app than a web interface. A stand alone app that doesn't need to be connected to the internet all the time, so you can work on you keywords and captions on the subway and update when on wifi -this apply to Alamy as well as Stockimo

-ability to batch

a )location

b ) keywords

c ) everything else actually...

• 3 months later...

Just noticed this thread

Agree with flash going as it means I can manage via an ipad.  

Would like the ability to copy all the previous images settings (keywords, releases, people etc) over to the next image (or allow bulk modify or these).

/edit just noticed this was a thread dug up from earlier in the year!

Just noticed this thread

Agree with flash going as it means I can manage via an ipad.  

Would like the ability to copy all the previous images settings (keywords, releases, people etc) over to the next image (or allow bulk modify or these).

/edit just noticed this was a thread dug up from earlier in the year!

That doesn't mean it's out of date!

wim

1. Ability to append one or more keywords to a batch without deleting/altering the existing keywords

2. An option to copy keywords/description from one image to another (useful if I upload a similar image to an already keyworded image)

3. Get the system to suggest keywords which can be easily selected and included. This might include suggesting different spellings of a word (i.e. American vs UK English spellings), using a built in thesaurus to suggest synonyms, suggesting plural versions of words and maybe even learning keywords which I commonly use in conjunction with other keywords  (e.g. I type in "colour", it might suggest "color". If I type in "road", it might suggest "street". If I type in "apple", it might suggest "apples").

I would like a Zoom function to determine how many people, or check other detail in the pic.  I photograph cars and their engines and a zoom function would allow would allow you to see if the emblem said SS396, or how Holman Moody was spelled on the valve cover of the engine.  I would like to have the Location/Date auto-fill for the session, and not have to add for each pic. 

Next to the regular upload process it would be nice to have a extra category for mobile photos, So additionaly to "Stock Upload" "News Upload" a extra "Mobile upload" for contributors that dont have a iphone but uses other systems.

Mirco

I wonder if anyone at Alamy has read/analysed this thread?

I've not done the analysis, but glancing through there seems to be three common requests: -

1) Remove flash so that editing can take place on tablets - stuck in hotel room, airport lounge or just lying in bed, time to get some work done!

2) Allow a full size or preferably zoom view of image - to enable person count.

3) Ability to batch append keywords without deleting existing text,  you have a series of similar but not identical shots each having much in common but with local variations.

I would certainly find all of these things very useful, but the lack of any feedback is a tad discouraging.

Archived