Images sold in May 2023

Well we've seen the oldest sweet shop from Alan, now may I present Bristol's oldest Coffee shop.

bristol-cafesbristol-england-uk-cafe-revival-corn-street-K4KYXJ.jpg

Usage: Website, Use in a single website, app, social media or blog (excludes advertising), worldwide.
Media: Website, app and social media
Image Size: Any size
Start: 23 May 2023
Duration: In perpetuity

It's from the 1780's. Wonder what they talked about over a coffee, Mad King George? Losing America?

Interesting history of coffee here:

Edited by Mr Standfast
shocking spelling
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

MG5 EV on dealership forecourt advertising sales by Charles Warner MG dealer Outer Circle Road Lincoln

mg5-ev-on-dealership-forecourt-advetisin

Usage: Editorial

Media: Editorial website

Industry sector: Media, design & publishing

Start: 13 February 2023

One use in a single editorial or advertorial article used within web versions of titles from the same group. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

Mid $

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

MG5 EV on dealership forecourt advertising sales by Charles Warner MG dealer Outer Circle Road Lincoln

mg5-ev-on-dealership-forecourt-advetisin

Start: 13 February 2023

One use in a single editorial or advertorial article used within web versions of titles from the same group. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

Mid $

Allan

Wichita has added a few electric public buses to their fleet. Last week, one caught fire, a spontaneous lithium battery fire, in the bus barn. Putting the fire out took a long time & used a lot of water, way more than with a gasoline fire. Hours & hours to keep the barn from burning down before the bus could be hauled out.

One wonders how many homes will burn down from lithium battery fires where electric autos sit in attached garages, sometimes taking families to unfortunate deaths.

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Wichita has added a few electric public buses to their fleet. Last week, one caught fire, a spontaneous lithium battery fire, in the bus barn. Putting the fire out took a long time & used a lot of water, way more than with a gasoline fire. Hours & hours to keep the barn from burning down before the bus could be hauled out.

One wonders how many homes will burn down from lithium battery fires where electric autos sit in attached garages, sometimes taking families to unfortunate deaths.

That's so scary - our camera lithium batteries have the same potential - .with either my D70 or D700 I forget, the batteries were recalled for this problem, though I imagine they'd be easier to put out than a large auto battery - but you'd need to catch it right away. It's a shame that clean energy has its threats like this. But the threat of floods and fires from the climate crisis is even greater. I read the other day that it's estimated that by 2070, 3 billion people could be living in areas that will be too hot for humans. And it  won't just affect them, they will need to move somewhere and the competition for space and resources will be frightening too. I worry about the world our grandkids and great-grandkids will be living in - and our kids too. I don't imagine I'll live to 114 but we'll certainly see some drastic changes in our lifetimes too. No solution is perfect but we had the knowledge and technology to deal with this back in the 1970's and now, nearly half a century later, the world has finally started to wake up and realize that the future is here.

My house, built nearly 96 years ago, doesn't have a garage, so we'd need to build one and take down a 150 year old gorgeous tree if we went electric (that tree is way too good for the earth - it would be a crime to cut it down), but if my next house has a garage, you can bet I'll make sure it has a smoke detector. Yikes! 

• Love 2

40 minutes ago, Marianne said:

That's so scary - our camera lithium batteries have the same potential - .with either my D70 or D700 I forget, the batteries were recalled for this problem, though I imagine they'd be easier to put out than a large auto battery - but you'd need to catch it right away. It's a shame that clean energy has its threats like this. But the threat of floods and fires from the climate crisis is even greater. I read the other day that it's estimated that by 2070, 3 billion people could be living in areas that will be too hot for humans. And it  won't just affect them, they will need to move somewhere and the competition for space and resources will be frightening too. I worry about the world our grandkids and great-grandkids will be living in - and our kids too. I don't imagine I'll live to 114 but we'll certainly see some drastic changes in our lifetimes too. No solution is perfect but we had the knowledge and technology to deal with this back in the 1970's and now, nearly half a century later, the world has finally started to wake up and realize that the future is here.

My house, built nearly 96 years ago, doesn't have a garage, so we'd need to build one and take down a 150 year old gorgeous tree if we went electric (that tree is way too good for the earth - it would be a crime to cut it down), but if my next house has a garage, you can bet I'll make sure it has a smoke detector. Yikes! 

I've had experience of lithium iron batteries in Apple computers, both genuine Apple and from third party suppliers. They are very efficient for their size but they are consumable devices, the more charge cycles they have the less charge they hold. I have seen them swell, in bad cases causing trackpads to crack and bases to be pushed off leaving their fixing screws still attached to the casing. The battery can expand from 1cm thick to 5cm or more. No fire involved, it's due to a chemical reaction that can start even when the laptop isn't powered on. I've seen plenty like this, but never any fire. In a service workshop Apple insists you have a fire bucket containing sand, used as a fire suppressant, fire proof gloves, large tongs, goggles and a fire proof box  'just in case'. I've never seen a fire issue, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. It's likely to be very rare. Although EV's use lithium batteries, the technology would be more advanced than laptop and camera batteries. I knew someone who had a spare charged lithium battery for a PMR in his trouser pocket. Although recessed, the battery contacts were shorted by something else in his pocket. A very high amount of energy  was released and his leg was badly burnt. I always keep caps on my batteries.

So far we have not found one perfect energy source.  Every kind has it's pros and cons....the trick is to find ones with way more benefits than downsides.  Besides the possibility of spontaneous fires from lithium batteries, they are terrible when it comes to sourcing materials to make them.  And of course they take energy of some sort to keep them powered. 

One day, hopefully, smart people will come up with a near perfect renewable energy before it is too late.

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

So far we have not found one perfect energy source.  Every kind has it's pros and cons....the trick is to find ones with way more benefits than downsides.  Besides the possibility of spontaneous fires from lithium batteries, they are terrible when it comes to sourcing materials to make them.  And of course they take energy of some sort to keep them powered. 

One day, hopefully, smart people will come up with a near perfect renewable energy before it is too late.

Believe it or not, there was a movement 20-25 years ago to power cars with natural gas. My husband worked for a natural gas company & he had a tank installed in the trunk of his company car. It was cheaper than gasoline & produced no or little emissions. Downside was the room the tanks took because usually the vehicle still had a gasoline tank, & public fear of explosions, which I never heard of, even during collisions. Then, like now, finding somewhere to refuel. Hubs refueled on gas co. property, but there would be issues of public fuel stations like there has been with EVs. People don’t enjoy a big hassle just to refuel when to some, time is everything after a long day at work or on the road.

Of course, now the movement is to do away with fossil fuels of all kinds.

And yes, more harm might be done to the earth acquiring materials to make lithium batteries than most people have an inkling of. It could be a case of being careful what you wish for.

Like you, there are smart people who you would think could come up with better solutions than what’s out there now.

Low $$ but I'm glad someone found a use for it:

One of a network of beacons lit around the country on the occasion of the Queen's 90th birthday, Rotherfield Greys, Oxfordshire Stock Photo

Start: 23 May 2023
Duration: In perpetuity Web Rights: site, Social Media and App, any size, single placement and design, worldwide, in perpetuity

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Another low $$ but it looks like someone in France used it:

Usage: Presentation or newsletters, Usage dans une présentation / discours (Powerpoint et Keynote, par exemple) ou dans un bulletin d’information éditorial.
Start: 24 May 2023
Duration: In perpetuity

Two colourful fishing boats moored on the quayside with the St. Leonard's Church behind, Honfleur, Normandy, France Stock Photo

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Leighton Hall, Yealand Conyers, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom, Europe. 

Leighton Hall, Yealand Conyers, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom, Europe. Stock Photo

Usage: Consumer goods
Media: Calendar
Print run: up to 20,000
Placement: Front cover
Start: 25 May 2023
End: 25 May 2024
Includes thumbnail use on the back page.

Sold twice $4.80 and $83.99. My first calendar front cover.
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Another popped in later yesterday.

King Charles III and Queen Camilla during Coronation on big screen TV at Lincoln castle, Lincoln City.

king-charles-iii-and-queen-camilla-durin

Usage: Editorial, For editorial use in publications printed by Dods Group Limited and published on associated social media channels.

Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic

Start: 24 May 2023

Duration: Unlimited

mid $

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, sb photos said:

I've had experience of lithium iron batteries in Apple computers, both genuine Apple and from third party suppliers. They are very efficient for their size but they are consumable devices, the more charge cycles they have the less charge they hold. I have seen them swell, in bad cases causing trackpads to crack and bases to be pushed off leaving their fixing screws still attached to the casing. The battery can expand from 1cm thick to 5cm or more. No fire involved, it's due to a chemical reaction that can start even when the laptop isn't powered on. I've seen plenty like this, but never any fire. In a service workshop Apple insists you have a fire bucket containing sand, used as a fire suppressant, fire proof gloves, large tongs, goggles and a fire proof box  'just in case'. I've never seen a fire issue, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. It's likely to be very rare. Although EV's use lithium batteries, the technology would be more advanced than laptop and camera batteries. I knew someone who had a spare charged lithium battery for a PMR in his trouser pocket. Although recessed, the battery contacts were shorted by something else in his pocket. A very high amount of energy  was released and his leg was badly burnt. I always keep caps on my batteries.

I've had several batteries swell up - the first time it happened I pricked it with a pin to release the gas.  I later found out that this is A VERY BAD idea.  It can short-circuit the battery and actually cause a fire.  Don't do it!

16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Believe it or not, there was a movement 20-25 years ago to power cars with natural gas. My husband worked for a natural gas company & he had a tank installed in the trunk of his company car. It was cheaper than gasoline & produced no or little emissions. Downside was the room the tanks took because usually the vehicle still had a gasoline tank, & public fear of explosions, which I never heard of, even during collisions. Then, like now, finding somewhere to refuel. Hubs refueled on gas co. property, but there would be issues of public fuel stations like there has been with EVs. People don’t enjoy a big hassle just to refuel when to some, time is everything after a long day at work or on the road.

Of course, now the movement is to do away with fossil fuels of all kinds.

And yes, more harm might be done to the earth acquiring materials to make lithium batteries than most people have an inkling of. It could be a case of being careful what you wish for.

Like you, there are smart people who you would think could come up with better solutions than what’s out there now.

Fifteen years ago I was running my old diesel Peugeot on fuel recycled from old chip oil, and sometimes on neat chip oil poured direct into the tank. Smelled a bit odd but worked perfectly well. Sadly the local oil recycling company was closed down when some regulation or other was changed.

Alex

Edited by Alex Ramsay
mis-spelling

8 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Fifteen years ago I was running my old diesel Peugeot on fuel recycled from old chip oil, and sometimes on neat chip oil poured direct into the tank. Smelled a bit odd but worked perfectly well. Sadly the local oil recycling company was closed down when some regulation or other was changed.

Alex

And about 20 years ago, there was a push to adopt the hydrogen fuel cell for cars but it never took off, I think it was ultimately too expensive and too much energy needed to produce the liquid form, even though hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe.

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

people-having-an-alfresco-lunch-at-bar-p

$$ dropped in this morning. Your hood, Paulette. Are they still open?

Still there. The fancier one next door (forget the name) is gone. Still lots of empty storefronts in the Village with new places popping up here and there. The worst problem right around me is addicts and mentally ill. I am very careful coming home. We are lucky in my building because we have two entrances. If one looks dangerous we can use the other. Locking dangerous people up is out of fashion though our new mayor is trying. He gets no help from the politicians.

Paulette

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

And about 20 years ago, there was a push to adopt the hydrogen fuel cell for cars but it never took off, I think it was ultimately too expensive and too much energy needed to produce the liquid form, even though hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe.

Hmmm - a friend of mine has been working on this for most of his career, and has come up with some highly innovative ideas - have a look at this https://www.riversimple.com/

Alex

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Not sure that the hydrogen answer is completely dead. It needs a cheaper means of manufacture, possibly using a bio process, rather than by electrolysis. At present it requires cheap electricity, e.g. from overnight wind generation to make it viable. I took this photo earlier in the week.

2R340T9.jpg

There is a proposal to supply hydrogen to the town of Redcar rather than natural gas for heating and cooking. It helps that there is a massive wind farm just off the coast there.

2R34102.jpg

• Love 1

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Still there. The fancier one next door (forget the name) is gone. Still lots of empty storefronts in the Village with new places popping up here and there. The worst problem right around me is addicts and mentally ill. I am very careful coming home. We are lucky in my building because we have two entrances. If one looks dangerous we can use the other. Locking dangerous people up is out of fashion though our new mayor is trying. He gets no help from the politicians.

Paulette

Those were both good Italian restaurants. 

Street crime was not a big problem when I left Lower Manhattan 5 years ago. Now it's a problem everywhere. I had a nut grab me on the street two Sundays ago. 

23 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I think it's a big mistake on the part of some "green" advocates to discount nuclear energy. Interesting article here.