What Sells and Why?

I haven’t done that badly with sales at Alamy. We are all suffering from the new pricing structures. I had an average of 15 sales a month in 2022. I’m down to just over 10 so far this year. Understand, I’m not building a career; I’m winding one down. I try not to spend money on making images. I don’t own a car anymore, so I’m now just a city shooter. I don’t do live news, sports, or wildlife. I’m not happy that I shoot so many sign. But . . . signs sell.

There are some very savvy shooters at Alamy who understand how things work and give great advice here in the forum. These contributors have explained the value of good captions and tags and lots of other things. What I'd like to discuss here is just what are the factors that have some togs selling more than others. 

What else sells? What subjects? I’m curious about what you all think.

This is the basics of what I do:

I shoot a lot of food, meals I’m about to eat. They sell. I capture other tabletop subjects too. And they sell. I’ll walk to a location but I find subjects rather than plan them. If I see something I’ll evaluate it on the basis of the 4 elements of a good image — lighting, shape, colour, and message (what the image is about). I don’t sit there thinking about any of that. It all happens in a snap of the fingers.

But again, what sells?

I think location is important. In the past year, Liverpool has sold better than NYC. This was a big surprise. I’ve had 63 sales of Liverpool and 40 of NYC. 25 sales were of food and other tabletop subjects. Seville hasn’t sold well and lovely San Miguel de Allende is worse.

I try to keep my tags to a minimum and accurate.

What do you think, Forum folks?

Edo

• Love 1
  • Like 4

The answer is very elusive to a very often asked question.   I have a very diverse portfolio on Alamy and a little of everything sells.  My repeat sellers are "evergreen" images (I guess that is obvious), they tend to be subjects that are in demand for books, magazine and TV uses.  Much of what I have on Alamy are from assignment shoots.  When I am traveling and taking photos, I always try to think like a photo editor and ask myself, how or why my photos may get used.  Last year, I was averaging 21 sales per month, now I am down to 16 per month, so far for 2023.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Interesting thread Edo.

In some ways it's easier to say what doesn't sell well, and for me that would be the photos I took while touring around mainland Europe on a series of holidays. I have made some sales from those trips, but my feeling is that, in proportion to the numbers on offer, photos taken in the UK have done better. 

Like you I have done reasonably well out of shots taken in the USA, including a low $$$ sale this month, although my photos are now becoming longer in the tooth and I guess they will eventually fade.

Most of my sales are probably of local subject matter, some taken in my house, garden or allotment or within a 20 mile radius. I know the locations and when best to visit. 

Well executed cut outs do quite well, although  some of my earlier ham fisted efforts need to be binned !

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I think the reason my polar bears are my best sellers is that they relate to climate change. Someone is always banging on about that. So finding subjects that relate to current events looks like a good bet to me.

Paulette

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Edo, I asked ChatGPT (our newest forum member) a general question about what to photograph in Liverpool. Here is what it had to say. I don't see "signs" listed, but I'm sure you've got the rest covered as well.

Liverpool is a vibrant city with many iconic landmarks, historic sites, and cultural hotspots, making it an excellent destination for photography enthusiasts. Here are some of the top things to photograph in Liverpool:

1. The Royal Albert Dock: This historic dock area is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is home to some stunning architecture and iconic landmarks, including the Merseyside Maritime Museum and the Tate Liverpool.

2. The Liver Building: This iconic building is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Liverpool, with its famous liver bird statues perched atop its clock tower.

3. The Beatles Story Museum: Liverpool is famous for being the birthplace of the Beatles, and the Beatles Story Museum is a must-visit attraction for any fan of the band. The museum features interactive exhibits, memorabilia, and rare photographs of the Beatles.

4. St. George's Hall: This stunning neoclassical building is a popular location for wedding photography and is also home to the Liverpool Law Courts.

5. Sefton Park: This beautiful park is one of the largest in Liverpool and features a boating lake, an ornate Victorian Palm House, and many picturesque walking trails.

6. The Cavern Club: This legendary music venue is where the Beatles got their start, and it remains a popular spot for live music and nightlife.

7. Anfield Stadium: Home to Liverpool Football Club, Anfield Stadium is an impressive sight, especially on match days when the stadium is packed with passionate fans.

8. Chinatown: Liverpool has one of the oldest and largest Chinatown districts in Europe, and it's a great place to capture vibrant street scenes, traditional architecture, and colorful decorations.

These are just a few of the many fantastic photography opportunities in Liverpool. Whether you're interested in architecture, history, music, or nature, you're sure to find plenty of subjects to inspire you in this dynamic and creative city.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

John, I've been here for three years and I have snaps of everything you listed in my 2,924 Alamy collection on Liverpool.

That's interesting, Brian. People seems extra interested in food now.

Paulette, the next time I see a polar bear I'll ask if it's okay to take its picture. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

I figured as much, Edo. Asking ChatGPT was an interesting exercise, though. I haven't tried it yet for Vancouver. Here's what our new best friend (?) came back with when I asked it a question about what kind of stock photos sell:

Stock photos that sell tend to be those that are high-quality, versatile, and in-demand among buyers. Here are some characteristics of stock photos that are likely to sell well:

1. Authenticity: People are often drawn to images that feel genuine and authentic, so try to capture real moments and emotions in your photos.

2. Diversity and inclusivity: Photos that feature a diverse range of people, cultures, and backgrounds are in high demand as businesses and organizations strive to be more inclusive.

3. Conceptual: Images that convey a concept or idea can be highly effective in marketing and advertising, so try to think creatively when shooting your photos.

4. Versatility: Images that can be used for a variety of purposes, such as website banners, social media posts, and print materials, tend to sell well.

5. High quality: Your photos should be sharp, well-lit, and properly composed in order to stand out among the competition.

6. Trending topics: Photos related to trending topics or current events can be highly sought after by buyers, so keep an eye on the news and social media to stay up-to-date.

7. Unique angles: Photos that are shot from unique angles or perspectives can be visually striking and memorable.

Remember that the stock photography market is constantly evolving, so it's important to stay up-to-date on the latest trends and preferences of buyers.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

It's tempting to say that flower and garden photos sell and leave it at that.  But it's not the truth.  I actually sell a fair few botanical shots, accurately captioned and labelled, and taken to show both garden and wild plants in ways that can be used to illustrate books, articles, nursery catalogues, calenders etc.  Those are my target markets and have been since I uploaded my first test images to Alamy in 2014.  I sold from the start and, 2425 licences later, 17% of my portfolio has had at least one sale.  

Which brings me to the point.  It's not a question of what sells, it's what's bought.  To sell images every Alamy contributor should have at least some idea of what their target markets are looking for.  Don't know, or don't even have target markets?  That way lies failure.

So, flowers sell - but you need to study the market to know which ones are most interesting to buyers.  Same with other genres.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

It's tempting to say that flower and garden photos sell and leave it at that.  But it's not the truth.  I actually sell a fair few botanical shots, accurately captioned and labelled, and taken to show both garden and wild plants in ways that can be used to illustrate books, articles, nursery catalogues, calenders etc.  Those are my target markets and have been since I uploaded my first test images to Alamy in 2014.  I sold from the start and, 2425 licences later, 17% of my portfolio has had at least one sale.  

Which brings me to the point.  It's not a question of what sells, it's what's bought.  To sell images every Alamy contributor should have at least some idea of what their target markets are looking for.  Don't know, or don't even have target markets?  That way lies failure.

So, flowers sell - but you need to study the market to know which ones are most interesting to buyers.  Same with other genres.

... and I would say that your beautiful flower images show diversity, inclusivity, and authenticity.🌻🤠

I actually have the occasional flower license (had several zoomed recently) thanks to your help with ID in some cases.

Edo, if I were you, I’d add all the different trees & shrubs you can photograph. Take a whole plant shot, a midrange ( half the plant) and closeup of bark & leaves which will help you with identification. . If anyone is around, ask them the names. If not, research. My trees get zoomed a lot, with decent sales.

I know this isn’t your forte, but you asked. And sometimes getting out of your comfort zone is stimulating. And when one lives alone, (like you & I) there is usually some time to go down the rabbit hole of identification. And sometimes it is a rabbit hole you don’t find your way out of. In that case, toss the image or put it in a folder of “unknowns” that you might eventually pull the rabbit out of the rabbit hole.

Photographing trees, bushes, etc is interesting because they look different in the seasons. Especially ones that bloom. I would imagine you’d need to walk neighborhoods rather than city streets. Being afoot is a drawback. I cannot walk far anymore. Even so, there are usually plantings around some buildings, city or not, and parks.

I went through all my sales, categorized them and here goes:

1) Significant buildings (Parliament House, cathedrals, etc.)

2) People doing stuff (mostly candid)

3) Business estates

4) Signs

5) Plants and flowers

5) Cityscapes

Edited by JaniMarkus Hasa

"but you asked."

I did. And I'm finding the answers interesting.

Don't know a tree from a flower or a bush. London has some nice parks in the centre of the city. Liverpool does not. I need to take a train or a taxi to get to the parks. 

I cannot say that one thing in particular sells better in my portfolio, perhaps landscapes.

Here are my sales so far this month:

x1 Extinct megafauna

x1 People sitting outside a pub

x1 Tropical Cafe

x4 Landscapes

x1 Historic cottage

x1 Lottery tickets stall

x1 Bird

x1 Astro shot

x1 Sign

x1 Dragonfly

x1 Aircraft spraying crops

x1 Sign in UK village

What does not sell much are my spiders but I guess there are not many interesting spiders in Liverpool 😁

Edited by gvallee
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

In my case, studio still lifes vastly outsell anything else. 

Exactly the same for me Brian.

Interesting topic Edo.

25 sales this month, comprising 3 supermarket shots, 1 motorway service station, 1 roman ruins, 1 London Underground. Everything else was shot at home, often to illustrate a theme. I find that the home shots outsell outdoor shots massively, but I get much higher fees for outdoor shots when they sell. Looking to the future, I suspect that AI is going to kill off to a large extent the indoor concept shots I do, so it may be the outdoor on site location shots that sell well...

I have a quite a few photos from Austria, the Amalfi coast, Venice, Strasbourg and Prague. They don't sell well at all compared to the UK... (although I probably need to go back and keyword and caption them better, was a few years ago now)

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I had an average of 15 sales a month in 2022. I’m down to just over 10 so far this year.

Mister Ed, may I boldly respond just to the above statement??
To increase your licensing activity,
you are asking the wrong question, IMO.
You ARE selling ergo you ARE taking salable photos;

the correct question, meistro, is:
DEAR GOD, WHERE'S THE BOTTLENECK IN MY WORKFLOW??
 😲   😲   😲    😲   😲   😲    😲

I'm guessing with authority it is time you devote to

keywording and or time devoted to processing...
(unless you have a cluster of kids doing your
keywording
& processing busywork to earn their allowance !!)
How can you shorten the time devoted to keywording
and or processing so you NATURALLY submit MORE
images to INCREASE net $$ or at least slow
the fade -- that, commandante suprema, is your task. 
Betty protect me !!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Paulette, the next time I see a polar bear I'll ask if it's okay to take its picture. 

Don't ever, ever, ever get close enough to ask anything. They bite.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Two of my best sellers are complete "accidents" taken because I thought the subject was well lit. I didn't know it at the time, but they are both used as natural plant based ingredients in health foods and the pictures frequently get used in advertising and product packaging and health related articles. Downloading my entire Alamy sales report and creating a pivot table totalled by image reference provided interesting/surprising insights...   

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Two of my best sellers are complete "accidents" taken because I thought the subject was well lit. I didn't know it at the time, but they are both used as natural plant based ingredients in health foods and the pictures frequently get used in advertising and product packaging and health related articles. Downloading my entire Alamy sales report and creating a pivot table totalled by image reference can provide interesting/surprising insights...   

Mark

It sure is a very useful tool but wouldn't it include refunds and/or resales? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

I'm guessing with authority it is time you devote to

keywording and or time devoted to processing...

Nice to see you in here, Jeff. And thanks for your thoughts (even if I fail to see how they have much to do with me). 🤔

• Love 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sooth said:

I noticed Liverpool is getting a "Central Park", a small park in the central park of the city to spur "urban redevelopment". 

I bet that will be a place to park a car, Sooth.

A good question, here's my mediocre answer...

Month to date:

Travel X5  (Ok. actually "went for a walk with my camera" pictures. Nothing from the golden hour!)

Back Garden X1

Contempory Issues X6 (Picket lines, marches, traffic jams, all submitted through live news but includes old repeat sellers, issues don't go away)

🦔

• Like 1