What Sells and Why?

3 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

I. Was Bert a convincing Cockney? 

II. Has the infallible Commadore Greenberg confused Pirate and Cockney leaving the rest of us even more baffled than usual?

I wonder if you have come across Professor Stanley Unwin

https://www.google.com/search?q=stanley+unwin&rlz=1CAXGER_enGB739GB739&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjs5M7t64n-AhVvMUQIHVHICMQQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1505&bih=622&dpr=0.9#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:22c430bf,vid:0UJZF5iRhNg

For a moment, I thought this was the latest YouTube success in stock photography video. The fact that it was in black and white should have tipped me off. Instead I waited for the two guys in the middle of it all to start saying that increasing the supply increases demand - a statement that fails an economics exam and makes you a guru in the world of stock photography education. 

In any case, I've got to come to the sky with some new ploys in the greenberg world. I think 'e can offer a few more lessons if we can get 'im to come out o' 'is shell.

BTW ... The American equivalent to Stanley Unwin is Irwin Corey. In actual fact, a neighbor and friend of my late aunt and uncle.

Since the beginning in 2018 I sold a lot of font designs, especially gold and silver letters. In both agencies Adobe Stock and Alamy these were my best selling images. I never thought there would be such a great demand and so I went on making more and more font effects over the years. I have one silver alphabet which has been sold 743 times on Adobe Stock, there were daily downloads for a long time, sometimes twice a day and it is still selling nowadays. I also have a huge collection of single alphabet letters, on lucky days customers buy complete alphabet sets, which means I sell 26 licences for every 26 letters of the alphabet. 😊

I am rebuilding my portfolio on Alamy at the moment, many photos and illustrations haven´t been uploaded, yet and I´m curious about AI generated content, whether it sells or not.

• Love 1
  • Like 4
  • Dislike 2

I am curious why on earth that post got a red arrow. Maybe disliking submissions of ai content. I guess that is something I don't like but it's better to say so rather than giving a mysterious red arrow. I hate those things.

Paulette

• Like 8

1 minute ago, NYCat said:

I am curious why on earth that post got a red arrow. Maybe disliking submissions of ai content. I guess that is something I don't like but it's better to say so rather than giving a mysterious red arrow. I hate those things.

Why on earth they took away the Smileys and left the Red Arrows I will never understand. I've never left a red arrow and don't intend to do so.

• Like 6

On 31/03/2023, geogphotos said:
Jeff comes across like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins

Brian "The Brain" Yarvinmeister     🎓      🎓      🎓      🎓     
You've bloody done it you 'ave !!  You got Murray The Jabster back to jabbin' me !!
its only a 3rd person jab but oh I am jabbed somebody help me...
Whoa Paulette & Betty, I feel so alive, I am tagging so fast right now...

Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 4
  • Dislike 1

I believe Jeff still makes a living out of stock photography which, in the current climate, is commendable. I'm delighted to see him contributing to the forum again. The size of his portfolio gives him statistically significant insights we can all benefit from IMO. 

Mark 

• Like 1

Yes! Listen to Jeff. He knows what he is doing and, besides, he's lots of fun. Not that I have the energy to follow his methods but I poke along in my own way.

Paulette

I use the bulk tools at Photoshelter do do my captions/keywords. It is still a time-consuming process but is has to be I suppose. A balancing act between being comprehensive without becoming superfluous.

5 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

still makes a living out of stock photography...delighted to see him contributing...

Cheers MarkC, Ta mate!
🤑    🤑    🤑
We each have our definition of "making a living".
Mine is ~$60K net annually.
So my total stock net is fading below that,
~$49K 2021 including DACS + ASCRL
probably ~$46K 2022...
my adding new photos slow the fade*...
I posted earlier 2 chaps netting ~2X & ~3X me &
rising via licensing LoC free historic images...
Wall Street stock market investments dominate
my income most years for couple decades...

*but there is a hint of explosive growth by new
client with recent monthly sales  Dec(5), Jan(83), Feb(993)
5 cent net licenses; waiting for next report & hoping...
Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 5
  • Dislike 1

Some bizarre person is giving red arrows. Why? Will you speak up, please? What is the problem?

Paulette

Edit: Sorry I called you bizarre. I would like to know what is causing these red arrows. Why not tell us?

Edited by NYCat
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Some bizarre person is giving red arrows. Why? Will you speak up, please? What is the problem?

Paulette

I was just about to say the same thing but you beat me to it.  Bizarre is the word.

However, just in case he or she is running out of Red Arrows, here's a few more to be going on with .....

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/red-arrows.html?sortBy=relevant

Edited by Vincent Lowe
Typo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NYCat said:

What is the problem?

Maybe they're not a fan of pirate/Dick Van Dyke talk or the fact that Jeff has too many digits on his image number... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Not me, I never give red arrows.

Normally nor me, but never say never. If someone was being personally offensive to another member I may be inclined, but that very rarely happens and it's not justified in my view for disagreement with an opinion - far better to provide a written response.

I do miss the smiley however.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
Cheers MarkC, Ta mate!
🤑    🤑    🤑
We each have our definition of "making a living".
Mine is ~$60K net annually.
So my total stock net is fading below that,
~$49K 2021 including DACS + ASCRL
probably ~$46K 2022...
my adding new photos slow the fade*...
I posted earlier 2 chaps netting ~2X & ~3X me &
rising via licensing LoC free historic images...
Wall Street stock market investments dominate
my income most years for couple decades...

*but there is a hint of explosive growth by new
client with recent monthly sales  Dec(5), Jan(83), Feb(993)
5 cent net licenses; waiting for next report & hoping...

Are you chasing copyright infringements? That source at least equals my Alamy income.

This is not a JAB 😀

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Normally nor me, but never say never. If someone was being personally offensive to another member I may be inclined, but that very rarely happens and it's not justified in my view for disagreement with an opinion - far better to provide a written response.

I do miss the smiley however.

I honestly don't see the value of the red arrow, it doesn't accomplish much other than making the one who gives them feel something...whatever that is and I guess the recipient made to feel badly.  I am here to learn and have fun banter with my peers, if a post bothers me, I scroll on.  Not worth the emotional energy, too many other things going on in my life.

And yes, I do miss the smiley emoji too....sadly it got weaponized.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

I honestly don't see the value of the red arrow, it doesn't accomplish much other than making the one who gives them feel something...whatever that is and I guess the recipient made to feel badly.  I am here to learn and have fun banter with my peers, if a post bothers me, I scroll on.  Not worth the emotional energy, too many other things going on in my life.

And yes, I do miss the smiley emoji too....sadly it got weaponized.

Agree with everything you said, especially the weaponized part. I was frequently attacked with it. I am neutral about it. Wish we had it for proper use but not for making fun of someone. One bad apple spoils the rest. Isn’t that often the case in this world?

• Love 1

10 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Are you chasing copyright infringements? That source at least equals my Alamy income

How exactly are you doing this? I was able to find only a few, and even if they initially were invoiced by Alamy after my reporting, a good part of them later was refunded. As the result, if it increased the total, it was <10%.

My search string in Google looks like this:

"my name" "alamy" -site:pixels.com -site:alamy.com -site:alamy.es -site:alamy.it -site:alamy.de -site:alamyimages.fr -site:fotos.latinstock.com.mx

Would appreciate suggestions.

Ivan

Edited by IKuzmin