January 2023 Challenge - UNESCO World Heritage Sites

Abiyoyo

The Pantanal in Brazil is a World Heritage Site. It is the world's largest tropical wetland area, and the world's largest flooded grasslands. So here is a sample of what you see there.

immature-water-lily-pad-giant-water-lily

Immature Giant Water Lily pad

profile-of-a-jaguar-panthera-onca-huntin

Jaguar in the Pantanal

solitary-capped-heron-piherodius-pileatu

Capped Heron in the Pantanal

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Love 1

On 10/01/2023 at 12:01, Ed Rooney said:

I had a couple of Liverpool snaps I was going to submit, but my new home town has been removed from the UNESCO list. 😧

But London is still on the list.

light-trails-from-a-double-decker-bus-cr

The Brooklyn Bridge is now being considered by UNESCO as a new site.

woman-pushing-a-baby-carriage-in-a-snow-

And for my last, there's Bella Roma and the great Basilica. 

saint-peters-basilica-in-vatican-city-ro

I'm glad my grandson is too young (4) to know about World Heritage sites because he'd be crushed to know Liverpool was delisted. He was obsessed with the Beatles and Liverpool this fall, thanks to my daughter deciding he could have some tech time, giving him her old tablet with an interactive book of Yellow Submarine (time still doled out sparingly). Now he can pretend he's Paul, thanks to a guitar from Santa. 

+1 for the Brooklyn Bridge. Our old home town deserves a site, Edo, and it really is an engineering marvel.  (We already have the Statue of Liberty & the Guggenheim, but we could use a third) 

Congrats on your win @Abiyoyo and thanks for an excellent challenge! I love it when the challenge gets me thinking. I need to scour that list so I can see what I have and tag accordingly. Your photo of Chambord, the most beautiful castle I've ever seen, also has me thinking a good winter task would be to see if I can get decent scans from  some old negatives. Most of my travels to Europe were in the pre-digital days, when I took photos purley for my own pleasure and didn't know that slides had better longevity. Ironically, in reviewing some old slides (I did take a few Ektachromes for a photo class in college), the supposedly archival slide holders I used  seem to have left spots all over them, although the color is still brilliant after 40+ years. 

Edited by Marianne
  • Thanks 2

I have very limited options for this challenge, basically one!

Activists defaced the Palace of Westminster:

animal-rebellion-protesters-sprayed-a-wall-of-the-palace-of-westminster-with-white-paint-and-blocked-the-road-outside-anti-milk-protest-2JXYXTT.jpg

Flowers placed around the Palace following the terrorist attack in 2017 which killed PC Keith Palmer inside the grounds:

flowers-attached-to-the-fence-at-the-palace-of-westminster-by-marchers-HX4GDJ.jpg

The very, very top of the newly restored Elizabeth Tower:

upper-detail-of-recently-uncovered-restored-elizabeth-tower-big-ben-of-the-palace-of-westminster-london-bright-colours-ornate-features-of-spire-2J4H7TC.jpg

Good Topic - here are my three!

1. Tourists and guides in Devil's Pool at the edge of the Victoria Falls, UNESCO World Heritage Site

devils-pool-victoria-falls-zambia-side-people-on-an-adventure-holiday-DH092E.jpg

2. Cactus Finch, one of the Darwins' Finches, The Galapagos Islands, UNESCO World Heritage Site.

darwins-finch-the-common-cactus-finch-geospiza-scandens-on-cactus-KK0YEE.jpg

3. Ancient temple overgrown by tree roots, Sambor-Prei-Kuk, UNESCO World Heritage Site, Kampong Thom, Cambodia

cambodia-ancient-temple-overgrown-by-tree-roots-sambor-prei-kuk-unesco-world-heritage-site-kampong-thom-cambodia-asia-MAKCTF.jpg

Kumar

Edited by Doc
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Congrats

Here are my 3:

1. Statue of Lenin looking up towards Ivan The Great Bell tower in the Kremlin, taken in 1990, scanned from slide. (this image may contain imperfections :) )

Just after this and the fall of the Soviet Union the statue was removed and placed in some park with a lot of other, shall we say unpopular, communist era statues.

So its a pic that is of an era

2M4H00P.jpg

2. The Taj, taken in 1989 (when I used to travel) also scanned from slide.

2M6B066.jpg

3. Houses of P

2JA0RPK.jpg

My three:

1 - Thanjavur (India) Brihadisvara temple. A 11th Century Tamil Architecture https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brihadisvara_Temple,_Thanjavur 

brihadisvara-temple-east-side-view-of-go

2 - Aerial view of Pammukale (travertine terraces and deposits calcium carbonate) located in Denizli province in Turkey  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamukkale

aerial-view-of-pamukkale-cotton-castle-t

3- Greenwich observatory in London https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Observatory,_Greenwich

visitors-at-the-royal-observatory-checki

Edited by Gnans

I'm not going to get my older photos scanned/photographed this month, so here are three from the Grand Canyon - I was sure other places must be on the list, but nope. 

It was truly more amazing than I'd expected. We took a tour bus out there from Phoenix, so only had about 4 hours there, and left before sunset, but I was still happy with my images, some taken with my D700 and others with my then brand new Oly OMD-1. I can't make an argument that any of the places I assumed were UNESCO World Heritage Sites but aren't are any better than this magnificent natural landmark. 

adventure-travel-man-at-edge-of-the-gran

My husband got over his fear of heights.

View from Pipe Creek Vista south rim Grand Canyon Arizona USA with view of the green Colorado River snaking through the red rock. Since we are all so into cameras here, this shot convinced me how good the inexpensive Olympus zoom lens someone here recommended really was. 

view-from-pipe-creek-vista-south-rim-gra

Another view from the south rim:

grand-canyon-south-rim-view-from-pipe-cr

Nearly a week to finish the challenge and lots of beautiful images to choose from...

Next challenge around UNESCO topic could be "Intangible cultural heritage" like Oral history, Food and dance heritage, ....

Three from me

Banks of the River Seine and Eiffel Tower, Paris, France. 

a-female-tourist-visiting-paris-france-l

Dubrovnik Old Town. (Kings Landing on the right), Croatia.

a-view-shot-from-the-hill-behind-dubrovn

San Gimignano, Tuscany, Italy. 

a-view-of-san-gimignano-from-a-distant-h

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Abiyoyo said:

Tomorrow last day... and another complicated selection of 8...

At least you only have two pages to sort unlike some other comps.😉

Good luck.

Allan

• Thanks 1

The Wachau is a stretch of the Danube Valley between Melk and Krems in Lower Austria and it and the old town centres of Stein and Krems are UNESCO world heritage sites.

The golden sun of the Dreifaltigkeitssäule (holy trinity column) contrasting against a stormy sky in Stein an der Donau, in Lower Austria

the-golden-sun-of-the-dreifaltigkeitssul

An autumnal view on the medieval castle Burgruine Dürnstein and the blue tower of Dürnstein Abbey (Stift Dürnstein)

an-autumnal-view-on-the-medieval-castle-

Twin churches reflecting in the River Danube at Stein an der Donau, a popular tourist town next to the river Danube and a UNESCO World Heritage Site 

twin-churches-reflecting-in-the-river-da

cordoba-spain-cordoba-cathedral-great-mo

Historic Center of Cordoba. Roman Bridge with Great Mosque/Cordoba Cathedral.

The Historic Centre of Cordoba now comprises the streets surrounding the Great Mosque and all the parcels of land opening on to these, together with all the blocks of houses around the mosque-cathedral. This area extends to the other bank of the River GuadaIquivir (to include the Roman bridge and the Calahorra) <>.

sailing-on-the-waddenzee-wadden-sea-on-a

Sailing on the Waddenzee.

The Wadden Sea is the largest unbroken system of intertidal sand and mud flats in the world. The site covers the Dutch Wadden Sea Conservation Area, the German Wadden Sea National Parks of Lower Saxony and Schleswig-Holstein, and most of the Danish Wadden Sea maritime conservation area.

fallingwater-or-kaufmann-residence-aka-f

The 20th-Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright. House Fallingwater.

The property consists of eight buildings in the United States designed by the architect during the first half of the 20th century. These include well known designs such as Fallingwater (Mill Run, Pennsylvania) <>.

wim