DACS payment delay

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for the info. That's what I figured. There appear to be a number of short circuits at DACS this year. 😬

They have been putting a new system in place. Presumably to make things easier.

Allan

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I emailed DACS yesterday, and got this odd response (see below) saying that I need to supply an HRMC Residency Certificate. I've never been asked this before. In fact, I don't even know what an HRMC Residency Certificate is. 😕

Dear Payback Claimant, 

We are still waiting to receive your HMRC Residency Certificate. Please send this to us in order for us to process your claim.

Exactly the same mail for me. I answered that I'm not a UK citizen, so no HMRC certificate for me. Send them my Spanish residence certificate updated. Waiting for a response. 

On 15/11/2022 at 12:24, John Mitchell said:

I emailed DACS yesterday, and got this odd response (see below) saying that I need to supply an HRMC Residency Certificate. I've never been asked this before. In fact, I don't even know what an HRMC Residency Certificate is. 😕

Dear Payback Claimant, 

We are still waiting to receive your HMRC Residency Certificate. Please send this to us in order for us to process your claim.

I got the same e-mail yesterday.  I sent them my last "HMRC Application for relief at source from UK income tax and Claim to repayment of UK income tax", with the certification stamp of CRA in 2020.  I sent the CRA a letter asking for an updated stamp on the same form in July of this year.  I called them and they said they were still in spec - they had until Jan 2023 to stamp my form!

But that's not all.  In 2020, in spite of the stamped form I sent HMRC, they would not return the 33 pounds DACS withheld as tax.  I tried everything.  I think it's impossible.  I even tried to set up a self-assessment account to get my money returned.  Big mistake.  Ever since HMRC has been sending me letters saying my income tax return is late.  Late fees are going up every time.  They now claim late payment fees are up to several thousand pounds!  It really does make you want to let Alamy deal with it.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I got the same e-mail yesterday.  I sent them my last "HMRC Application for relief at source from UK income tax and Claim to repayment of UK income tax", with the certification stamp of CRA in 2020.  I sent the CRA a letter asking for an updated stamp on the same form in July of this year.  I called them and they said they were still in spec - they had until Jan 2023 to stamp my form!

But that's not all.  In 2020, in spite of the stamped form I sent HMRC, they would not return the 33 pounds DACS withheld as tax.  I tried everything.  I think it's impossible.  I even tried to set up a self-assessment account to get my money returned.  Big mistake.  Ever since HMRC has been sending me letters saying my income tax return is late.  Late fees are going up every time.  They now claim late payment fees are up to several thousand pounds!  It really does make you want to let Alamy deal with it.

Yikes! Sounds like it's not worth the hassle. Think I'll just keep leaving HMRC a tip. 👑

7 hours ago, Reimar said:

Still waiting for our (US-based business) ~1000 GPB refund...

14 hours ago, Reimar said:

You could have headed it off by de-registering as self-employed. You still can do that although it won't deal with the debt. You may never intend to visit the UK again but it seems problematic just to let it mount up- there may be a point at which HMRC consider it worthwhile to pursue you in Canada.

The solution may be that you weren't legally required to register for SA so you can't be penalised for it.

Edited by spacecadet

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, stipe said:

Three DACS payment just popped up in my account today. One British, another from Germany for sure and the third one where it might come from? 

If it's for cents it's the promised 100 % compensation for the China "deal" from a few months back ...

Yeh, if I lived in Canada (that was a very long time ago) I think I would let Alamy do my DACs. International red tape just gets more and more impossible to navigate. But take heart, I have a nice little portfolio of stocks & shares in Canada and even after doing the forms, I have 15% non-residents tax withheld. So I'm making my little contribution to Canada which is sort of OK. I do my own DACs claim and still haven't received anything. I prompted them about ten days and just received  an automated  "please wait a bit" response

Edited by Robert M Estall

3 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

Yeh, if I lived in Canada (that was a very long time ago) I think I would let Alamy do my DACs. International red tape just gets more and more impossible to navigate. But take heart, I have a nice little portfolio of stocks & shares in Canada and even after doing the forms, I have 15% non-residents tax withheld. So I'm making my little contribution to Canada which is sort of OK. I do my own DACs claim and still haven't received anything. I prompted them about ten days and just received  an automated  "please wait a bit" response

This is the first time that there has been a delay like this. I got an email from DACS today saying that my claim will be processed next week. You're right about international red tape. Canada and the UK have a tax treaty, but both countries make things very difficult for individuals. I've had similar problems on my own with Germany (virtually impossible to figure out their forms) and Italy. I'll be leaving HMRC an involuntary tip again this year.