DACS payment delay

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

The ones through Alamy are showing up. Not in my Account Balance but as other income in Download Sales Report. Two amounts with no explanation.

Paulette

......and another

Two amounts no other info other than 'Other Income'. Had no idea what they were for but hey-ho ain't complaining.

3 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

This may be my last payment, as I don't think I'll be making any sales under the current situation.

Fear not, DACs royalties are earned by images published in previous years as well. Once you've registered, every image of yours on Alamy published from then on is a potential earner.

If it was on recent licences only not many of us would be collecting..

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

Could someone help me understand what DACS is? I'm new to this and was pleasantly surprised to have a couple mystery payments in Alamy. Just wondering what it is so I can properly classify it when I file my US taxes early next year.

3 hours ago, chilker said:

Could someone help me understand what DACS is? I'm new to this and was pleasantly surprised to have a couple mystery payments in Alamy. Just wondering what it is so I can properly classify it when I file my US taxes early next year.

Google 'DACS Payback'.

Essentially it is a collecting society for secondary rights. Schools, libraries pay a licence fee to the UK government to allow for copying of copyrighted material. 

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Fear not, DACs royalties are earned by images published in previous years as well. Once you've registered, every image of yours on Alamy published from then on is a potential earner.

If it was on recent licences only not many of us would be collecting..

Yes, but if I close my Alamy account I won't be able to claim DACS, because Alamy refuse to disclose the required information, just as they refuse to disclose the fee they charge for the DACS claim service. (Which is questionable at best: If you provide a service you are supposed to make a proper account of the charge for that service, even if only after the fact.)

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

My DACS payment finally showed up today. It's down about 15% from last year, which is odd because I added a number of new ISBN's. Better late than never, though...

Does Alamy incorporate those?

13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

My DACS payment finally showed up today. It's down about 15% from last year, which is odd because I added a number of new ISBN's. Better late than never, though...

It has become something of a lottery hoping that what one submits finds a lucrative match ie) lots of recorded users that have built up the pot and few claimants drawing from it. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

22 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

Yes, but if I close my Alamy account I won't be able to claim DACS, because Alamy refuse to disclose the required information,

I didn't know you were contemplating leaving, but as geog says, for those of use claiming direct, the information we provide doesn't come from Alamy- we find it ourselves. So it's not dependent on keeping your account..

I recall a few years ago when Alamy was canvassing to claim for us, there was a circular email that stated how many licences Alamy would be able to claim for on my behalf. Since the number was only IIRC about 20% higher than the number I'd found myself, I surmised it wouldn't be worth surrendering 50% to Alamy.

The one exception would be TV uses, but I've never had one in the UK.

Got mine last week & it was ~10% more than last year. Also had it deposited into an account that doesn't charge $15 to convert it to dollars, so that was an additional bump - just wish I could get back the VAT but the US charges around $80 each year for the required form - you'd think they'd want US citizens to keep their money. All in all, it's a great little bump to my stock photo income. 

@chilker when I pay my taxes, on my Schedule C it just gets lumped in with all other income for which I didn't receive a 1099. Royalties (at least when you actively participate in your business) are taxed the same as other income. Check with your accountant, but I don't think you need to worry about how to categorize it.